“French Dip Sandwich was awesome” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
First Printer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 538 restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Massachusettes Ave and Mt. Auburn
Transit: Harvard T stop Red line
Description: We are located in Harvard Square steps from the Red Line on the site where the first printer in British America lived. First Printer Restaurant offers an elegant yet simple gastropub featuring American classics, fresh New England seafood and yummy vegetarian options. The restaurant is decorated with antique type cases, printing paraphernalia and newspapers dating back 300 years. Our dining room seats 95 and includes many handcrafted mahogany booths, an 18 seat full bar and a private gathering room in a converted bank vault. Please check out our ever-evolving menus online.
Honolulu, Hawaii
“French Dip Sandwich was awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a great lunch here. The French Dip sandwich was one of the best I've ever had--the bread was what made the sandwich. Great fries too. They had a great blood orange draft beer that went perfect with it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fair food, good ambiance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our food was fair but nothing spectacular. They were sold out of the fritters so we had the Misto Frito - it was ok. I had the half chicken was pretty good, very standard fare. The service was good but the food was just OK. I wouldn't make a special trip, but might be a nice place for a beer or glass of wine.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Terrific brunch in a charming setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My family was seated in a private room that was an old bank vault. I had the lobster roll, which was terrific. Service was excellent, and we enjoyed conversation in our private vault!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Good Food and a significant value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a modestly priced restaurant with good food and good service. For what you get, it's a major value. I had the bouillabaisse, which came with a good quantity of high-quality seafood including several kinds of fish, lots of small mussels, a couple of large shrimp, a huge scallop, and a light creamy sauce. A beet salad with arugula was beautifully arranged, well thought out, and very tasty. It was $8 and more than worth it. Downsides? Nothing major. Bread was almost tasteless, and it was pretty noisy. Not sure if the noise is normal or a consequence of a large group in the bar. I don't quibble with those who gave First Printer 5 stars. I'd give it 4.5 if I could.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
France
“Nice lunch choice if you are not in a rush!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

As one day visitors to Cambridge we picked this place out as we walked past on a guided tour because it looked appealing, lots of space inside and nice menu. On our return we were further enticed by the offer of free ice cream with each lunch option ordered. We were offered a choice of seats and went for a booth. We discovered that there is no wifi.....we use it to research our next visit when touring so that was a bit disappointing.

Our server quickly brought us water and menus and took our drink order and explained the menu as there were specials and things not available but then ages to come back and take our order. We ordered clam chowder and lobster roll. About twenty minutes after ordering I was told there were no clams but I could have mussels. I declined as I can get mussels most of the year at home and this was my chance to try clam chowder so both of us took lobster roll.

It took a little while longer to come but the lobster roll was very tasty. Plenty of lobster, not too much creamy sauce, very nice pretzel roll. We had half fries and half salad as sides. My son ate both scoops of the free ice cream and said it was tasty if gooey.

The waitress and manageress were very apologetic about the lack of clams and the time taken to serve us and adjusted our bill accordingly. I had not complained but they could see I was disappointed! They were both really nice.

For lunch it was busy but not crowded as the tables are far apart. I can imagine it gets crowded in the evening as the bar is in the dining area. The atmosphere was good with plenty of local people, including, I think, some students. Although most of them seemed to be eating at places that, as a previous reviewer has mentioned, do not need a knife and fork - of which there are many in Camcridge, so the ability to use cutlery also appealed to us in choosing this place to eat!