“Izzy's a local Favorite” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #312 of 554 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Spanish
Description: Family owned Mom and Pop business around since 1980's specializing in Puerto Rican and American Cuisine.Delicious foods, diverse menu, all at a great low price.Eat in or Take OutConviently Located Between Mit & Kendall SquareMost Major Credit Cards Accepted**Parking is very limited
Fairfield, Maine
“Izzy's a local Favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Izzy's is located off the beaten path in Cambridge,on the corners of Harvard Street and Windsor Street near the MIT campus. We took a scenic route to get to it as our jerk off cab driver had a "selective memory" and forgot where it was. So if you can walk to get there you probably should do so...or hope you get an honest cabbie. From the outside Izzy's looks like the neighborhood family owned convenience store, and the inside is small with lots of Decor from the owners native Puerto Rico. There are only a few employees including the owners but they seem to know almost everyone by first name. This is definitely a place the caters to locals. We were a little unsure what to order so we decided to sample a few different appetizers. My wife Simone was suffering from a sore throat so she decided to try the Chicken Soup (Pollo Guizada). Our first app was a Chicken and Cheese Patty (Enpanada De Pollo Y Queso).This wasn't actually a patty whatsoever but a huge Deep Fried Empanada filled generously with diced chicken and sharp melty cheese. It was crispy, yet flaky and good. We then tried the Sweet Plantains (Platanos Maduros). In the future I would go with the fried as the sweet kinda just reminded me of a mushy banana. They were naturally caramelized but a little slimy and stringy for my tastes. Next up was the fried pork (Chicarron De Puerco). This was your basic roasted pork, simply seasoned and lightly breaded and fried until a nice crispy amber crust forms. Bacon like in flavor, this was my favorite part of the meal and also the most filling. As a side for all this food we went with a Rice and Beans combo with Red Beans and Yellow Rice (Arroz Y Habichuelas) The beans had a mild smokey flavor and were very good and the rice had tomato saffron overtones and was also delicious. Simones soup was noteworthy as it contained entire pieces of bone in chicken, good size vegetables in a light broth. Unfortunately she did fine a few shards of bones in the soup..opps. Overall we enjoyed Izzy's. Some items were definitely better then others but all seemed authentic. At just over twenty dollars, the prices were also some of the best that we found all weekend .
Overall... 3 stars for Izzy's Restaurant and Sub Shop.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Puertorican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I moved to Boston from Puerto Rico 6 months ago. The food is suuuuper good. I feel like I'm at home when I go there. Not the touristy places but the real places. They even soften their own beans and don't use the canned beans like most places. Love this unpretentious place!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Not True Puerto Rican food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

After reading the reviews, .we were excited. My husband is Puerto Rican and we haven't been to visit in many years and sorely miss the island cooking.

We decided to give this place a try. First time we went they were on vacation for a month. We told them that it was our first time there and if they can make some recommendations instead they started to recite the menu.

We ordered the pernil with rice and the pollo guisado (chicken stew) with white rice. Also got 1 of each of the papa relleno, bacalaito, y pollo frito leg.

The seasoning on the food wasn't like the Puerto Rican food we were used to. They were all lacking depth of flavor. The guisado was flat tasting and both chicken were dried (I didn't think dark meat could be overcooked-I was wrong).

When eating the fried items, I could taste that the oil that the food was fried in needed to be changed. The oil had broken down and it was burnt tasting. We had ordered the chicken stew but when we went to eat it, it was the beef stew. Thank goodness we were outside eating if not I would have been upset.

I really wanted to like this place but we were so disappointed. Oh we had to get it to go and eat in the car cuz there was no parking anywhere-we parked in resident permit parking and ate.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“D real pizza..!!!yuhuuu..!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

D real pizza..!!!yuhuuu..!!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Wednesday Pork special is fantastc!!! It were everyone can be your Primo!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

Wednesday Pork special is fantastc!!! It were everyone can be your Primo!!!