“He said, "Fun". She said, "Okay".” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Craigie on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 541 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
chicago IL
“He said, "Fun". She said, "Okay".”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband wanted to continue to celebrate his birthday by dining at Craigie on Main, a venue he had never visited. He especially liked the atmosphere because of the youthful Cambridge crowd and the informal atmosphere. We both opted for the 3 course menu because we did not like many of the choices served offered in the tasting menu.

He liked the oysters quite a bit. I enjoyed the Spanish style octopus served a la plancha. The entrees were also tasty. He liked the swordfish and I enjoyed another fish dish. Dessert was the highlight of my meal: a pear tart served with ice cream.

Service was excellent and very accommodating. We sat beneath a speaker. I did not enjoy some of the music- electronica? He liked it because he is feeling his age and the music was "Youthful".
He'd definitely return; she would too, but not so soon.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Kitchener, Canada
“You'll have a good time but it's overrated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I'd give this 4 stars if there was less hype around it...

I went solo (was in MA for a conference) so I sat at the kitchen bar so I could see the chefs work. That was probably the most interesting part of my entire meal. It was like watching an episode of Hell's Kitchen except on valium -- no yelling or anything like that but cool to see 12 chefs working together for the dinner service.

Everything was pretty expensive here and I think I would have been ok with this restaurant if the bill was 10 - 15% cheaper. I had the 8 course tasting menu with two drinks. I was by myself and it was 180 including tip.... that's steep.

If you're trying to impress someone, this might be a good choice but you'll find it hard to justify the price tag for what you get.

With that said, the service was top notch :-).

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food a little pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food is delicious but a little pricey. The service is good and proficient. Overall Good Spot and I think I'll go back there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but not that good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

It sets out with good intent and I am a nose to tail eater so the menu appeals.

On the drinks side they have long cocktail list and an apparently well stocked bar but only serve four domestic vodkas, the one I tried was disappointing. Surely one decent imported vodka would be a nice option. For the wines by the glass the selections are limited and overpriced. And overpriced certainly applies to the food. What I had was good and the use of local farm products shows through but though I enjoyed the meal it did not excite. I stuck with a couple of appetisers and a dessert but the the idea of paying $38 for an entree at this level of restaurant did not appeal. I can eat this sort of food better done for less money in central London!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good service, but overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The service here is excellent, but for the food and drink, the place is over-priced. First of all, the home made (but not warm) bread was burned and the blackened crumbs got all over the paper-topped table. For a restaurant in this category, the table tops should be fabric, not fabric covered with paper! The expensive mixed drink I ordered tasted like a whiskey sour. It was supposed to have high-end tequila and sherry in it! It didn't feel like there was any liquor in it, and I am a "lightweight" as my husband says about my liquor capacity! The appetizers we had were chosen from an unappetizing selection: oysters, and they were very good and covered with an unusual and delicious dressing. We didn't miss the cocktail sauce or horseradish. But if oysters were all we wanted, we could have gone to a sea food place. The main courses were minimal, except that my sturgeon was wrapped in salty bacon, which was really the only flavor it had. The fish's texture was interesting, however. The menu said Brussel sprouts, and I was looking forward to a nice vegetable with my meal, but only a few of the "leaves" were presented on the plate. My husband's view was facing the street where all he could see was a U-haul truck. I had a view of the restaurant, open kitchen and burned bread that the wait staff broke off and placed in baskets. The service saves this place, but it really does not merit more than 3 stars! And I think I'm being generous, which they could afford to be with their portions!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere