“Great food a little pricey” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Craigie on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 548 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food a little pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food is delicious but a little pricey. The service is good and proficient. Overall Good Spot and I think I'll go back there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Good, but not that good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

It sets out with good intent and I am a nose to tail eater so the menu appeals.

On the drinks side they have long cocktail list and an apparently well stocked bar but only serve four domestic vodkas, the one I tried was disappointing. Surely one decent imported vodka would be a nice option. For the wines by the glass the selections are limited and overpriced. And overpriced certainly applies to the food. What I had was good and the use of local farm products shows through but though I enjoyed the meal it did not excite. I stuck with a couple of appetisers and a dessert but the the idea of paying $38 for an entree at this level of restaurant did not appeal. I can eat this sort of food better done for less money in central London!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good service, but overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The service here is excellent, but for the food and drink, the place is over-priced. First of all, the home made (but not warm) bread was burned and the blackened crumbs got all over the paper-topped table. For a restaurant in this category, the table tops should be fabric, not fabric covered with paper! The expensive mixed drink I ordered tasted like a whiskey sour. It was supposed to have high-end tequila and sherry in it! It didn't feel like there was any liquor in it, and I am a "lightweight" as my husband says about my liquor capacity! The appetizers we had were chosen from an unappetizing selection: oysters, and they were very good and covered with an unusual and delicious dressing. We didn't miss the cocktail sauce or horseradish. But if oysters were all we wanted, we could have gone to a sea food place. The main courses were minimal, except that my sturgeon was wrapped in salty bacon, which was really the only flavor it had. The fish's texture was interesting, however. The menu said Brussel sprouts, and I was looking forward to a nice vegetable with my meal, but only a few of the "leaves" were presented on the plate. My husband's view was facing the street where all he could see was a U-haul truck. I had a view of the restaurant, open kitchen and burned bread that the wait staff broke off and placed in baskets. The service saves this place, but it really does not merit more than 3 stars! And I think I'm being generous, which they could afford to be with their portions!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Danville, California
“wished we had never gone there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Who eats this stuff??????? We have dined all over the world and I consider myself pretty sophisticated about food. We were visiting our grandson who is attending Harvard. It was supposed to be a treat for him. He sat down and looked at the menu. The first words out of his mouth were, "I don't think I can handle this." I helplessly looked over the menu, wondering why I had chosen this restaurant out of so many ( I am a devoted TA reader and research restaurants up the yin-yang) My first reaction upon reading the menu was "What on earth can I order?" I remembered that everyone spoke of the hamburgers so held great hopes that grandson could order that, at least. He is huge and eats a ton of food. After perusing the menu we all decided on hamburgers, there being nothing else that could entice us. The waiter said that only a few were held in reserve, so we rushed to order them. They are about $20 which is high but reasonable. The rest of the items were either $18 for an appetizer or $38 for an entree. This is outrageous by any standards, except for the very best best restaurants of the world.
There were no appetizers that we wanted so, on a whim, my husband order the pig's tail; this was mostly pig fat with about 6 tiny bites of greasy meat. Interesting but not worth $18. The burgers were small and I guess the roll was homemade; The meat was great. That was it. I left feeling kind of outraged by the prices and the lack of much ambience, delicacy, choice, etc. If I am to pay $38 for an entree, which we have done many times, it has to be very special, not just a piece of chicken.
All during the meal we wondered "Who eats here?" And "Why would they choose this?" Guess it's the "in" restaurant phenomenon, but we were so glad to get out of there.
On a final note, we had made reservations weeks in advance for the two of us. When we called to ask if we could add the grandson, they told us "no." The only way to do that was to eat at 10 p.m. which is not exactly suitable for a football playing college student. Then the hotel at which we were staying, phoned the restaurant and instantly got us a seat in the bar. This is disingenous. As was the waiter saying that there were only 3 hamburgers left. Everybody we saw was oredering hamburgers.
We have been spoiled by so many wonderful restaurants in our travel. Dine at Natalie's at Camden, MA or any number of places. Don't go here unless maybe you fit the profile of who dine's in places like this. Enjoy your pig's head.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Good food, great service, nice atmosphere...whole package”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I dined at Craigie on Main with family in early October. We had reservations, which was good as the restaurant was packed. The service was great. We were advised to see if their special hamburgers were available when we arrived -- I gather they only do about 20 a night and serve them in the bar. We had bar seating and immediately asked about a burger when we arrived. There was one left. I'm so glad we asked and that we got to experience it -- split three ways among the table -- it was a great burger. On top of that we had some interesting choices, including bone marrow and pig's tail. We also enjoyed great fresh lobster, a combination pork dish and a fish dish. All terrific. A decent selection of wines. Good desert too. All in all a very good experience. I'm glad we went... as we were talking about it all the next day.

• 4 of 5 stars Food