“Wonderful, again!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Auburn, Maine
“Wonderful, again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at the Marlowe. Each time we have been treated as though we were old friends. From the desk staff, restaurant staff, concierge and housekeeping, all are welcoming and friendly. The most recent stay was to celebrate my husband's birthday. The staff made it very special, a birthday we will always remember. Thank you Hotel Marlowe, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MarloweGM, General Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
I'd say third times a charm, but it sounds like the first and second were pretty good too! Thanks for choosing us to celebrate your husband's birthday!

joe.capalbo@hotelmarlowe.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Vineland, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We can't say enough good things about our stay here at this beautiful, chic hotel with super-friendly staff! From the moment of our arrival we were warmly greeted and accommodated. They even print out a special photo that you send them and they have it waiting in your room when you arrive to make you feel more at-home.

We requested an early check-in if possible and it was granted (1pm) at no extra charge. Our little one enjoyed the pet-friendly atmosphere and the special kids' greeting pack (a little backpack with goodies on it). One of the reasons we stayed here was to check it out for a possible future visit with our dog and we would definitely do it in a heartbeat!

The location of this hotel is absolutely the best we've experienced on the Boston area. It's right around the corner (literally, a short walk) from an upscale mall with plenty of shops and restaurants to choose from. We had a blast!

The room is gorgeously decorated and appointed with amazingly comfortable beds and pillows and a luxuriously soft throw on each bed. If you look really hard you might see minor imperfections in the room and some very minor signs of wear but nothing that concerned us. We loved the room!

When I had trouble with my wi-fi connection, the front desk clerk came right up (within a minute!) to personally help us connect. Then, when a toy we had purchased as a Christmas gift required a really small Phillips head screwdriver to place the batteries, they sent up a house mechanic/engineer and he got the job done and was so joyful about it--it seemed like it was truly a pleasure for him to help us out in this way.

We've stayed at several hotels in the Boston area over the last year and a half but never made a repeat visit to one, even though they were nice, but with the Hotel Marlowe, we've found a wonderful home-away-from home!

• Stayed December 2013
This is awesome! When I heard about the assist with the toy, it made me smile and definitely made all the employees smile too when we shared it with them.

Thank you for staying!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My experience with the Marlowe has been truly first rate- having stayed once before it was naturally my first choice this time, and it always will be. The personal touches received on this stay has made it a one of a kind visit to Boston, with Addison Hugo and Kayla Howard putting in particularly special effort! The local knowledge of the staff has helped us experience Boston far better than any guide book. I really cannot praise the staff enough! The room is excellent, the beds are incredibly comfortable, the shower's hot and powerful, the provided unctions are fantastic, so no need to bring your own (unless you're really fussy!), and if you don't have something, they'll do their best to get it. The wine tasting in the evening is a lovely touch, my commendations to the in house sommelier, and the pecan cookies were delicious! Simply put- I can't wait to stay there again!! - Hamish

Room Tip: Fifth floor overlooking Boston - what a sunrise!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MarloweGM, General Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
I LOVE those Pecan Cookies too, probably a little much :-). Thanks for the great comments and I agree, our staff are local experts and will offer better suggestions than any guide book out there.

Thanks again!

Dennis Port, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The cousins got together for a girls' weekend and Christmas time together. Eddie, my Jack Russell, also came along and while Mom was out he had the royal treatment spending time with the Reservations folks being fed more biscuits than he's had in a year!! I had mentioned that we were having a little toast for my Mom who recently passed away and along with the wine glasses we requested we also had a delicious cheese and fruit tray, wine, and truffles! The blizzard was blowing away outside, but inside everything was warm, comfortable and very welcoming. Sitting by the fire, having wine, or eating at Bamborg we didn't see any need to venture out into the storm! Eddie's looking forward to his next trip to the Marlowe!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sounds like you successfully weathered the blizzard we had....with wine and cheese no less! There is nothing better than sitting in our living room by the fireplace on a cold snowy day....

Thanks for the great comments!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I never write reviews because honestly I expect great service but the Hotel Marlow went over and above. I stayed overnight with 14 friends in 5 rooms and a suite for my 50th birthday and from even before we arrived the staff was wonderful. Rachel reached out a week before to go the extra mile on decorations and room gifts, and surprised me the day of with champagne, and all kinds of treats in honor of my big birthday. The hotel was totally chic and the rooms were gorgeously decorated with incredible views and the most comfortable beds. Every single person at the hotel went out of their way to make our night fun, easy and exciting from getting a 14 person van to take us out instead of just calling cabs, to bringing up extra supplies at 2 am to room service the next morning. The rates are very reasonable for Boston and there were lots of little "Kimpton in-touch" extras that they were very flexible about applying at check-out. The Hotel Marlowe is officially my favorite hotel in boston/cambridge! You can not go wrong staying here!

Room Tip: get a high floor for amazing views of Charles River, Zakim bridge and Boston
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Well, I am really glad you took the time to write a review this time! I am glad we were able to help make your 50th birthday as good as it was.

Thanks again!

Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Hotel Marlowe several times, always with a great experience, but for this stay last week, I had told the reservationist that we were bringing our 8 yr old so when we checked in there was a goldfish in our room with a little note about him and his name "Emeril". There was also a child size leopard print bathrobe for her to use. She was so happy. I thank the Hotel Marlowe for their personal touches along with all of the amenities that come with a Kimpton hotel. They made this stay extra special for our daughter and we will be back as a family as soon as we can. I highly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
"Emeril" and I had our weekly meeting today and he was saying how thrilled he was to have you with us and said "we need more people like that" in our hotel. Couldn't agree more!

Thanks for the great review!

Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I travel to Boston around 4-5 times per year, and the Marlowe is always the first I call for a reservation.I have stayed at the Hotel Marlowe five or six times now, and hope to stay there many times again.

The decor is unique and welcoming. The rooms are stylish, but the designers didn't take themselves too seriously (leopard print bath robes....?), which makes the whole experience much more relaxing. Other hotels in the area have a very corporate feel, and are much less welcoming.

The workout room is well equipped with at least 7 machines, free-weights and medicine balls. The only drawback is view: the gym either looks out over the small internal courtyard of the hotel, or over the roof of the local mall, depending on which window you're facing. Even though one usually uses the gym in the hours of darkness, it's a shame not to see the Boston skyline.

The Kimpton group have exceptional attention to detail, with yoga mats in each room, complimentary coffee in the morning, and a list of other items you might need during your stay. I actually put them to the test and asked reception for a chapstick and nail clippers. They were able to give me the latter there and then, and they had a chapstick waiting for me when I got back from the office. All for free.

BamBara is their in house restaurant and bar. The power lunch is great value, and the bar staff are well-trained: they made one of the best Caipirinhas I've ever had. Local beer on tap and always showing a game of some sort on the TV over the bar; but thankfully never too loud.

The Hotel adjoins the considerable Galleria Cambridgeside Mall. Which is open until about 9-10pm with a selection of high street brands and a big food court. You don't even have to go outside to get there, which is a relief in the winter months.

The staff are always top notch, friendly, interested, and also quite well-travelled. The drawbacks, if I had to name some, would be the fact that there's no pool, which comparable hotels in the area do offer; and the fact that the hotel can be a bit of a warren: there are no windows in the corridors and I get a bit confused sometimes with the layout. If you're there for a few days it's fine, you get used to it.

I highly recommend the Marlowe in Cambridge, both for long or short stays. This time I actually flew in very early from Colorado with a colleague. As we were arriving before 6am I had asked at the time of booking for the distant possibility of an early check in. We were politely told that they would do what they could. The most we were hoping for was somewhere to dump our luggage before heading to the office, but to our relief there were two rooms ready, and we were able to shower and rest before heading to work.

Taxi from the airport is usually around 26-30 dollars. If you use the hotel driver it will be more like 35, but he's really nice, and his car is much nicer than a standard cab.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wow, this is great! It makes me so happy when I read and hear about experiences like this. Thank you SO much for sharing and your loyalty to the Marlowe!

joe.capalbo@hotelmarlowe.com

Been to Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!