“Bicycles with helmets” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Bicycles with helmets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

In booking a spot Cambridge one seems to have to pay more than many lovely Inns/ Hotels right in the heart of Boston, with equally fine reputations and amenities. It was for my daughter and me a toss of between Veritas and Marlowe. At first I was frustrated to find Vertias filled and barely a spot left at Marlowe. It turns out family weekend for MIT and Harvard with a few conventions really fills up all the rooms. That being said, it started with Connie, who helped me to navigate the T. The breakfast staff that microwaved my own oatmeal from home. Plenty of fresh tasty coffee in the morning, and not only free bikes to explore the Charles, they had helmets too. The kimpton really trains their staff to be helpful and genuinely friendly. The rooms were clean and well stocked with ETRO soap and big fresh towels. They buttoned up the details of our stay.

Room Tip: Top floor is gym floor and nice light.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly_Zalanskas, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear travelPAUSA,

Unfortunately, you can't train someone to be genuine, but you can hire the right people. :)

Hopefully next time you won't even think about another hotel. You'll just know where you want to go.

Happy Travels,
Kimberly Zalanskas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that we travelled with 2.5 yr old twins potty training so our needs are pretty different from the average joe. We stayed in a room with 2 double beds for about $300 a night.

I booked this hotel through hotwire as it was rated 4 stars and had very good reviews. Here's the scoop.

Pros:
1. The beds are extremely comfortable.
2. The location pretty good as it's right next to the Galleria and you can access the mall without even stepping foot outside in the cold.
3. Pretty close to the sites in Boston. Not a far drive.
4. Pretty thick walls and ceilings. Cant hear your neighbors.
5. Attached garage accesssible via elevator. Valet not necessary.
6. Decor was nice if anything a little over the top. I felt like i was in Mad Hatter land.
7. Dinner at Bambara was excellent.

Here's the bad:
1. Rooms were average size, far from spacious, and bathrooms were small. It must be an old building but if you're travelling with small children, there was barely any room to move around. The tub was not the kind you could soak in.
2. Lots of dogs everywhere. Small ones and medium dogs are ok but when you see a 100lb pitbull sitting in the lobby and you have tiny kids, its a little nerve wracking.
3. The attached restaurant Bambara's breakfast is overpriced and very bad. I recommend crossing the street to Royal Sonesta's ArtBar which has an excellent breakfast and cheaper.
4. Tiny lobby. There was barely any exploring room for little kids. I prefer a larger lobby where the kids can snoop around at things when the weather's bad.
5. The coffee in the morning was watered down and flavorless. I've had better coffee at a sidewalk coffee stand.
6. No pool.
7. The beds were really high up. My kids couldnt climb on by themselves which made it a nuisance to keep lifting them up.

Summary:
Stay across the street at Royal Sonesta. Their rooms are far nicer and the whole hotel feels much less claustrophobic. The price isnt much more either so skip the Marlowe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michal P, Hotel Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Wunderlust2007,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I definitely enjoyed reading your comments, the good and the bad!

The pros you mention in your review are spot on. I appreciate that you took the time to mention them.

I agree with you regarding the size of our rooms - they are average and for a family of four, they might be a bit much if you are staying with us for a while. However, we are always up for upgrading our guests to bigger rooms (like our suites) if we have them available.

I also agree that sometimes we tend to have quite a few dogs around. We are a pet friendly hotel and in fact Kimpton is known for their dog/pet friendly programs, so many time guests like to stay with us specifically because we treat their dogs like we would treat any human.

I am sorry the complimentary coffee in the lobby seemed watered down, this was not our intention and we will make sure moving forward it tastes good!

You make a lot of great points and I’m sad you chose the hotel across the street instead of us. In case you change your mind and decide to give us another chance, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to take care of you and your family.

Michal
Bloomfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed at this hotel when visiting 3 colleges in Boston area the last weekend of September. Family of 3 and could not have been more pleased. Beautiful hotel, connected to a shopping mall and out of the busy city just by a short crossing of a bridge. We were able to self park in under ground deck for 20.00 which is probably half the cost of valet. Room and lobby were charming and enjoyed the wine hour. We ended up shopping in mall before dinner at hotel and really enjoyed ourselves. If you looking fo a convenient hotel to Boston or the colleges in area you should consider this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear frefutravelor,

Isn't it amazing what crossing one little bridge can do? One minute your in the middle of it all and the next you feel like it's miles away. :)

Good luck to yours on getting into one of the Colleges you visited. Hope to see you again, too!

Best,
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed for three nights and found the hotel surprisingly good value for money. The restruant was also very nice with the food, service and attentiveness of staff all scoring points. Located sufficiently close to the centre and benefits from being next door to a mall. Two picky points, being British, I kind of resented the waitress filling in the percentages of tips on my bill! I also found the 10 dollar a day charge for internet access a bit much. You can join and get it for free but its such a faf! Would stay again..and that's my highest recommendation.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear bill d,

Thanks so much for the review! We're so glad to hear that you would stay again, can't wait! :)

Happy Travels,
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed overnight @ the Hotel Marlowe while while looking at colleges for our youngest daughter in the immediate Boston area. This is a beautiful luxurious hotel from the guest rooms to the lobby, and well-manned with friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous employees. This facility is located a 5 minute walk to the T (subway), which easily took us into the city of Boston in 30 minutes. Parking is available at the adjacent shopping mall. The cost was also a major factor, at least 1/2 the price from what we found in the heart of Boston. I would recommend this hotel for anyone in requiring lodging in the Boston area without needing to splurge on city prices. We plan on staying here again, if and when our daughter is accepted to Northeastern.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear djkginger,

It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much! Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope that your daughter is accepted to Northeastern too, not just for the fine education she'll receive, but so that you can come and join us while she's here. ;)

Here's to (hopefully) many happy returns,
Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently stayed at the Marlowe while in Cambridge for a conference (not held at this hotel). It was one of the nicest hotel stays I've ever had. Here's a list of some of the great attributes of this hotel:
1) I arrived rather late, and they didn't have the room type I'd reserved. So they upgraded to a room with a beautiful view.
2) Young, extremely helpful staff. I felt they were genuinely concerned that my stay be perfect.
3) Room nicely decorated and exceptionally clean.
4) Staff at Bambara, the in-hotel restaurant, were also unusually friendly and helpful. They felt (I didn't) that my food took too long to be served, so they gave me a glass of wine. I didn't think it was necessary--but appreciated it all the same.
5) Bicycles (and helmets) available for loan.
6) The attached Galleria made running a few errands super easy.
7) The bed was terrific: firm, with a featherbed that made it just perfect.

Overall, I can't say enough nice things about the Marlowe and its staff. I travel frequently, but always feel a little edgy when first settling in to a hotel room. Here I felt like a treasured guest who had been situated in a lovely, peaceful room. I'll look for reasons to be in Cambridge, just so I can return here!

Room Tip: The view of the Charles is reallly lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear CarolLB5,

We're so glad we were able to make your stay so memorable. And Thank You for such a wonderfully detailed review. Sometimes we just like to do something special - a complimentary upgrade or drink, use of the bicycles & protective gear - just because we feel it's the right thing to do. :)

We can't wait to see you again!

All the best,
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Located in the heart of Cambridge, this hotel is pet friendly and offers staff that goes above and beyond. Cab rides to Boston nightlife only runs $10 from this hotel. The free wine reception each night makes meeting new people fairly easy. This hotel is also attached to a mall so if you need any last minute clothing or want to catch some cheap mall food you are in luck.

• Stayed September 2012
Kimberly_Zalanskas, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Warminmn,

This is perfect! Thanks so much for the awesome review~! Can't wait to welcome you back!

All the best,
Kimberly Zalanskas

Been to Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!