“Incredibly gracious service” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Incredibly gracious service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I arrived at the Hotel Marlowe pregnant and tired, and they couldn't have taken better care of me. They arranged a quiet room for me and even picked up my takeout order for dinner one night! I love the cucumber and fruit waters available in their lounge, and if I wasn't pregnant, I'd definitely take advantage of their nightly wine tastings. The room was spacious, stylish, and comfortable.

In response to a previous review: the hotel is located in East Cambridge, near the mall, MIT, the Science Museum, and a bunch of delicious restaurants (Helmand's, Catalyst, and more). If you'd prefer to be located near Harvard Square or other attractions, do your homework first -- don't blame the hotel!

Room Tip: The "canal side" rooms are quieter and probably have a better view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly Z, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Efeps,

Thank you so much for staying with us, even in your current state. I'm so glad we helped to make your stay as comfortable as possible and we hope you come back soon so we can meet the newest member of your family! And so you can enjoy the wine hour a little more as well. ;)

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

All the best,

1,181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Bucks County, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

To say that our stay was disappointing would be an understatement. Although the location of this hotel says Cambridge, it is not really near anything in Cambridge because it is in East Cambridge. The only thing near it is the mall that is attached to it. The second thing to know is that if you pay extra for a “water view,” which they define in their ad as either the canal or the Charles River, you better get the Charles River or you have wasted your money. The canal view is a view of a rectangle of water surrounded by buildings. Finally, and the thing that bothered us the most, was that we were given a room on the third floor. Unfortunately, we were given a room that was directly above the ball room, which was hosting a party the night we were there. We went to bed early, tired from a long day, and for the next three hours until midnight, all we heard was the pulsating beat of music below us. I called the front desk and they said they would ask the disc jockey to turn down the music, but I think he spited them and instead turned it up. My biggest question is why a hotel would assign rooms directly above a party where you can hear the music when other rooms, I am sure, were available in the hotel? Although the room was very clean and comfortable, when you can’t sleep everything else is negated. My recommendations would be threefold: 1. If you are going and want to stay near Harvard Square and the quaint part of Cambridge, don’t stay here. 2. If you want a room with a view, do not accept a view of the canal and insist on a view of the river. 3. If you want a good night’s sleep and have to stay at this hotel make sure you are higher than the third floor. This was a very disappointing experience for us.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
MarloweHotelManager, General Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I know that we have contacted you offline about your recent experience here and we hope to have the opportunity to have you with us again. Stay warm this weekend and do come and see us again soon. We are confident we will win you over!
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Hotel Marlowe is a great hotel. I lived in the Boston area for 12 years before moving to DC. This is the hotel I choose to stay at each time I return.

Here are the reasons why:
1) The rooms are quiet, large, and clean.

2) The staff is ALWAYS extremely helpful and friendly.

3) The location is excellent. You're attached the a large shopping mall and minutes from the highway and Boston. You also have an affordable parking area. The T (public transit) is also nearby.

4) The Amenities are great here. You can rent kayaks (for free I believe) for exploring the Charles River. There is a wine hour every evening and a breakfast tea or coffee room in the mornings.

5) There are happy pets wandering around, but you can never smell them.

In general, this is a very happy and upbeat hotel. People are pleasant and everything you could possibly need is nearby.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear travellotus,

Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm gald we can be your home away from your old home.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

All the best,
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for almost two weeks in August. It is a FANTASTIC hotel. We had our dog with us. The room had a special dog bed for him. They also provided fresh treats and water for pets right by the front door. Please note that if you are allergic to animals do not be afraid to stay here. The hotel has 1 floor for pets. My parents stayed at this hotel as well and my mom is very allergic to animals and had a room on another floor. She was not bothered at any time during her stay. It was very easy for us to take our dog out for walks since there is a nice walking area right next to the hotel. This hotel is connected to a mall. It is possible to even get to the mall without walking outside since the parking garage of the hotel and mall connect. The hotel also provides bikes and kayaks for guests to use. We used the bikes several times and enjoyed having them available. We also used the kayaks. This hotel is located right next to the Museum of Science. It was a short walk to the train and even though the train stop around the corner from the hotel was closed for repairs there was a bus at the stop that took us up to the next stop. We also hosted a dinner party at Bambara and it was perfect. The Chef and staff went above and beyond to accomodate my daughter's celiac disease. We will be back soon since my son is attending HMS. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Workout room was good. We loved this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Motherof3Illinois,

When something that happens 5 months ago makes such a good impression on you that you have to write about it, we feel honored. I'm so happy we made your extended stay so wonderfully memorable. And we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kindest regards,
CROMWELL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Marlow is located along the Charles River, next to the Galleria Shopping Mall, around the corner from the Museum of Science and walking distance to Boston attractions. You can't do better. The staff was very welcoming and anxious to help make our visit wonderful. The rooms are a nice size and very comfortable. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever experienced. The bathroom was clean, modern and well supplied including a plush terry robe. When you enter the lobby in the morning the complimentary coffe bar will greet you. This will be our go to plave on future Boston visits.

Room Tip: request a room facing the city and river ...... join the Kimpton Club and get a $10 minibar certific...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly Z, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear RonPam673,

You know what it's all about. Location, Location, Location. And thank you for acknowledging our staff. They are genuinely gracious people and enjoy what they do. Also, I have to agree with you, those beds are incredible!

We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Kindest regards,
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I realize that many of the other reviews for this hotel celebrate this hotel for having "top notch service" and that is why I have given the Hotel Marlowe several chances. It seems to be a hotel that aspires to be "top notch", but somehow always misses. To be truly a wonderful hotel in the category to which it wishes to reach, small slip ups cannot occur and guest frustrations should be non-existent. On the first visit, dog hair was all over the pillows and the sheets on the bed, which I discovered as I was ready to go to sleep. After a call to the front desk, I was told that there were no more rooms of my type available and she would see what she could do. Upon my insistence, after waiting about 20 minutes at 11 PM at night, someone came to the room to inspect the bed (which was disgusting) and we were promptly moved to a suite. (This should have been done immediately without the front desk clerk telling me that my type of room was unavailable and she would see what she could do.) In the suite, the sheets were dirty and the sink and vanity were also dirty. Again, someone came up to inspect the room and change the sheets. By now, my bedtime had been delayed for about an hour and a half. This time, we were given a free dinner in the restaurant to make up for our unfortunate incident. My point is, however, these inconveniences should never happen in a hotel that believes it is of the caliber it pretends to be.
So, I gave the hotel another try, thinking that this could happen anywhere. The minor inconvenience this time was that the rate included milk and cookies. The cookies were in the room upon arrival, but when asked about the milk, no one seemed to know where it was or how it could be found. A call to the front desk and a call to room service proved to be unsuccessful. Bottom line --- no milk. Again, this is something minor, but it should not happen if the service is "top notch".
Now, a year later, I find myself in the Boston area again and I enjoy the ease of self-parking at the Hotel Marlowe, because I must visit many places in the area. Valet parking always takes time, especially if there is an event at the hotel, such as a wedding. I have stayed in Boston at another Kimpton property, but self-parking is not an option there, so I decided to give the Marlowe one last try this year. Check in was fine and a welcome note with a bottle of wine, two glasses and a corkscrew on a napkin were nicely placed on the table with the television. Having dinner plans, I did not open the wine that evening, but thought I would enjoy a glass of wine with the snack on my free evening as I watched a movie in the room. But that was not to be. I left the room about 10 AM and returned about 2 PM the second day. The room had not been touch (wet towels still on the floor and bed untouched), but I thought, Ok, it's only 2 PM and they probably had to take care of the check-out rooms first. However, my bottle of welcome wine, the two glasses, the corkscrew the napkin and even the welcome note were totally gone. They had been removed from the room. So drink that wine quickly or you'll lose your opportunity. I couldn't believe it. When I told the front desk that the wine was gone, but the room hadn't even been made up yet, the answer was "Well, that's a different department". After a few more questions about what that meant and after telling her that I had planned to enjoy the wine that evening, I was told "Well, we can give you another bottle of wine". Again, the actual bottle of wine was not the point. The point was, the wine was in the room, I was not checking out and a mistake had been made by a "different department". This is not "top notch service". Again, I find it difficult to believe that these things only happen to me each time I stay at the Hotel Marlowe. However, my ease of self-parking has now disappeared also. Beware of self-parking even though it is easy to get out, it is not easy to get in. The usual entrance to the self-parking for Hotel Marlowe guests was closed. I drove around the block and all the other entrances were also closed. I did this several times. Finally I asked a young man on a Segway who was standing in front of a blocked entrance where hotel guests were supposed to park, he told me "We are sending guests to the upper parking." I asked where the upper parking was, but he couldn't tell me. He asked me what hotel I was in and I told him the Marlowe. So he said, "Well, you can try down here." When I tried to enter where it said hotel guest parking, it was only for the guests of the Rpyal Sonesta and I needed a special ticket, which was different from the one I had for the Marlowe. Of course, no attendant was in the booth. So I was stuck and had to try to back out of the entrance which was practically impossible. Of course, I hit a yellow post and cracked my bumper. Finally, I got out of there and went to the entrance of the Hotel Marlowe to recount my story to the valet and asked him to keep my car there until I could get into the garage. What I heard back from him was a snobby, curt retort that said "Well that's why you should use valet parking". This was totally uncalled for and again unacceptable in a hotel that feigns to have "top notch" service. When I told the front desk my story they said they were sorry but they don't control the garage and that they would speak to the valet. I promptly checked out and cancelled future reservations. One strike, two strikes, three strikes you're out (even in Boston). I suggest that you deal with valet parking and stay elsewhere in Boston. There are a plethora of top notch hotels in and around Boston.

Room Tip: If you don't have a pet and/or you are allergic to any type of pet, ask for a room on a pet free...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
MarloweHotelManager, General Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Happy New Year to you and yours! Thanks for all of the feedback from your numerous visits to Cambridge and we certainly apologize for the troubles you experienced during your most recent stay with us. We commit to improving every day and will certainly address your concerns with all of our team members. Have a safe and happy new year!
Cheshire, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Our one night trip up to Boston was a special treat for my daughter and out niece, as it marked our first hotel stay with our Wheaten Terrier. My wife and I have stayed at Kimpton properties on quite a few occasions and we were always wishing we had the dog with us. We decided to drive up to Boston to take the dog and girls on a later road trip. As usual for Kimpton, it was a great stay. My niece, was quite impressed with the hotel, although I think she thought we were staying at the Hotel for Dogs. The Marlowe, was perfect for our one night get away. While not as 'hip' as it's sister properties in Boston, it is such a great spot to drive into and is an easy shot into the city or to other spots in Cambridge. The staff was terrific to the dog and the girls.
Aside from the middle of the night doggie pit stop it was a great stay.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!