“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I'm in Cambridge for 5 days of work and it has been a pleasure staying at this hotel. The people who work here are fabulous. Very responsive and helpful. It was always a delight to interact with them. I loved the room; well appointed and a good place to do work. Great bed, big screen TV and a mini-bar. The room could be a little better for the business traveler. I'd suggest an in-room coffee pot (hard to get up and wait for the needed coffee) and a table of sorts to have in-room dinner. I had to eat off the desk or the bed.

They have a nice complementary wine reception and offer first class newspapers.

But all else was good. And I'm glad I stayed here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
obriggs, Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Jeannehb,

Thank you for writing a review! I'm so happy you had pleasant interactions with our employees and that you enjoyed your room. We are happy to add a coffee maker to your requests whenever you stay with us in the future, so please allow us to have that set up for you! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
south portland, me
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed there this past weekend for our wedding anniversary. I was a bit leery from the bad reviews but I booked my stay there anyway because of the location.

I saw many complaints about the distance to the 'T' stations, and they are all wrong. I frequent the Boston area very often and there are two stations within a 5-10 minute walk. Right now there are shuttle busses in those areas due to train construction but they are still very convenient.

When we arrived they congradulated us on our anniversary and informed us of a 'special surprise' in our room. We revieved a high floor and firm pillows as requested which was great! As an In-Touch member you can list your requests right online! We also recieved free wi-fi which was a huge plus!

When we arrived to our room, we saw the beautiful view of Boston right out our window! The bed was amazing! Wonderful comfortor and just very comfortable! I loved the huge mirror on the wall, very unique touch! The bathroom was awesome, which is usually a make or break quality in my opinions. I loved the amentities provided for us as well. A lot of hotels provide the cheap shampoos and conditioners which don't do much for cleaning your hair. Hotel Marlowe gives great ones! I didn't feel like I had just showered at a hotel! Our suprise that was waiting for us was a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebreate our anniversary! We also recieved two boxes of chocolate and some nice bottled water, which is huge for us as we only drink bottled water. I phoned the desk to make sure that we didnt need to pay for these items and we were informed that everything on the table was complimentary, including a delicious nut mix! We also recieved a 10$ credit for the mini bar which we took advantage of and a 50$ credit towards Bambara, the restaurant in the hotel, or for room service. We were able to get some drinks at the bar as well as a full breakfast delivered to our room the following morning! We were also granted a late check out of 3pm which was fantastic as we didnt want to feel rushed the next day.

The decor of the hotel is absolutely beautiful! If you are more into fancy paisley and lace, don;t stay here because the decor at the Hotel Marlowe is more modern and chic. To address the reports of a noisy hotel, we were right by the elevator, the hotel was host to a wedding and reception the weekend we were there and we never turned on our tv until the day we checked out. With all of this, we never heard anything other than ourselves!

I have nothing but great things to say about this hotel, which is saying a lot from me...I am very picky about the places I stay. If the need ever arises, I will surely stay here again! In a heartbeat!

Thank you to all the employees at the Hotel Marlowe who made my wedding anniversary one to remember!! :)

Room Tip: Join Kimpton In-Touch Rewards before you stay here...the benefits are priceless!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
obriggs, Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Meghanl500,

Happy Anniversary! I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review of your Hotel Marlowe experience! I'm so glad we were able to honor all of your Kimpton In-Touch preferences and that you got to enjoy a champagne amenity in your city view room. We hope you will choose to stay at the Marlowe if you ever return to Cambridge!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have stayed in the Marlowe about 10 times over the past 4 or so years - and I still enjoy it. I love the fact that they try to do things with a bit of flair. The tiger and leopard skin bathrobes, the funky mirrors, the lairy curtains - all make for a great experience. I love the fact the hotel is connected to the Cambridgeside Galleria too - means I can do some shopping in my down time or at least have meals in the food court as opposed to sitting on my own in my room eating overpriced hotel food.

The beds are comfortable - I always sleep well there. I tend to get a room looking over the river when I stay. I haven't ever had a problem with noise in the rooms. The one thing I don't like is the lack of lighting in the rooms - I tend to rearrange the rooms a bit when I first go in - as there are no lights anywhere near the bag area - so you can't see what is in your bag (I move the floor lamp to the bag stand area - apologies to those that have to rearrange the room afterwards!).

The internet is free (not sure if that's for everyone or just Kimpton in-touch members) - it has never been super fast, but it has improved over the years. I have used the gym too - not the best/biggest. They could do much better with the gym.

FYI you cannot rely on the transfer service (which used to be free but I think has a small cost now) - as often it is very busy in the mornings.

There is something funny about the breakfast - either it has no buffet during the week (only a-la-carte) and only on the weekend or the other way around. Either way it can be a bit annoying waiting for breakfast when you are in a hurry in the AM - so check on this before you head down for breakfast. The Bambora (I think that's what it is called?) restaurant has a great reputation too apparently (so I was told by a local).

It is also great value for money - well priced for what you get (compared with what I pay in Australia for average hotels).

But despite some small issues I highly recommend this hotel - if for nothing else but the fact they try to be a bit different. The rooms are by no means the standard 4-5 star fare.

Room Tip: I suggest you pay a bit extra and get a river view room - particularly if you are spending much time...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I spent a few days recently at Hotel Marlowe, and it was an unexpected delight. The quality of the hotel was unexpected because I booked the stay sight unseen if you will using the you-name-the-price feature of one of the major consolidators. Since my rate was approximately half of the best internet rate at the time, my expectations were low.

Fortunately, my expectations were substantially exceeded. The stay at Hotel Marlowe was delightful because the place, well run and ultra modern, is an over-the-top visual feast. The pubic areas, and the rooms, are decorated in rich and over saturated reds, golds, and yellows. The fantastical colors are tied together with dark wood finishes.

The rooms have over-sized fanciful mirrors as prominent part of the decor, and walking through the front doors of the hotel is like stepping through the looking glass of normal into a world of brightness and color. The entire place seems to have been done up in Photoshop, with Vibrance and Saturation turned all the way up. Every time I entered the hotel I smiled.
The place reminds of Tim Burton's version of Alice In Wonderland, and one would not be surprised to see the Mad Hatter and the Red Queen behind front desk.

The hotel is well located in Cambridge, close to the Lechmere T stop (the subway), the Museum of Science, CambridgeSide Galleria, and of course MIT and Harvard. The Paul Dudley White bike path is around the corner, so if you enjoy walking along the Charles River, or jogging, this path works well since it is shared by cyclists and pedestrians.

The rooms are modern and well appointed with all the amenities one expects: HD TV with a variety of sat/cable channels, large comfy beds, and high quality bath products. The pièce de résistance was the matching animal print robes in the closet!

I found the staff professional and helpful, albeit looking a bit out of place in what I can only describe as understated professional attire. Based on the decor of the hotel, one really expects to see kings, queens and jesters, and perhaps a small elephant walking through the lobby.

Hotel Marlowe is a very nice change of pace from the earth toned, cookie-cutter business class hotels. The only regret is that I had to step back through the looking glass into reality upon check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the Charles River.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We had to take our dog on a trip to MIT, and a friend suggested the Hotel Marlowe because it was pet friendly. It was a very pleasant surprise. We were put on a pet friendly floor and the rooms were luxurious and spotless plus had a dog bed and bowls, The staff was exceptionally accommodating. Service was great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear GracieDog,

I'm glad you and your dog enjoyed the Hotel Marlowe and that our staff was accomodating to all of your needs. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!
Canaan, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

If they put you in a room overlooking the entrance, just check out. Immediately. The standard for "quiet" here entails a constant level of irritating noise. Don't expect quiet surroundings anywhere else on the premises. The front courtyard plays constant, pulsating "New Age" music that would drive the Dalai Lama homicidal. The bar is loud, with the kind of throbbing, tuneless faux-music that I associate with after-hours clubs for stoned 20-somethings. The lobby is loud -- so loud that I couldn't make a cell-phone call from there: the music was deafening. Then there's the parking: the garage is part of a gigantic, labyrinthine shopping-mall garage, so that you may never find the way between your car and the hotel (I had to call them on my cell-phone to ask them to guide me out of the place, or I'd still be there). After that, you'll never find your way back, so just abandon your car and buy a new one. If you're not ready to do that, just pay the $30 for valet parking (even though the valet is so busy he urges you to go park on your own), because the ordeal of the garage simply isn't worth it. I actually love most Kimpton hotels, so this place amazed me with all its many discomforts. It's the only time I've ever had a bad word to say about them. But I simply couldn't get a quiet night's sleep here. When I asked one of the more helpful staff people where I could get a quiet dinner, he whispered a guilty answer: go across the street to the Sonesta. "It's nice there." I had to agree with him. It was the only quiet time I had during my whole stay. My suggestion: just go to the Sonesta, and stay there. Even the Marlowe staff recommends it.

Room Tip: Refuse to stay in a room that faces the front courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HotelManager2502, General Manager at Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear TonyPNY,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback. I have taken your comments very seriously and promise to address them with the team here to make sure we don't have a repeat occurence. I know you have a choice when traveling, I hope that you will continue to choose Kimpton hotels when you can. If you would like to discuss this any further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Thanks,

Joe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Marlowe over the weekend, and had a great stay. The hotel was modern and clean. As requested, I got a room on a high floor with a nice view of the Tobin Bridge (I think that's the name.) In any event, the view was nice and the windows were large. I was attending an event at Harvard, and the hotel is an easy 3 mile drive down Cambridge Street. Parking for the hotel is in the Galleria Mall lot, which is connected to the hotel, at $20 a night. I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant on Saturday morning. The service was good and the selection of food was decent, including yogurt, fruit, eggs, etc., for $17. The front desk folks were also very friendly and pleasant, which is always a plus. I plan to stay here again when I return to Boston.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Marlowe - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!