“Best place in Cambridge to live in affordable price with best breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kendall Hotel

You added Kendall Hotel to your Saves list
Kendall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best place in Cambridge to live in affordable price with best breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Hi,

I stayed in this Hotel for 6 weeks on my business trip to Boston. This place is situated in the heart of Cambridge Kendall which is the biggest hub for IT and Pharma companies. MIT is just 7-8 mins walk from hotel. The room and guest service is excellent. THe best thing it is right next to Kendall T station so no worries if you want to travel early in the morning or late at night. They serve excellent American breakfast which is completely free. I just love Granola they serve in the breakfast. I bet you will never find such Granola in any departmental store. It is a home made Granola. I have alteast tried 5 different grocery stores and approx. 15 diff. brands but couldn't find that Granola. The staff is also helping and welcoming. It feels like home to be at Kendall.

Krupa

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Too often these days a hotel will use the term boutique to describe themselves simply because they are a non-chain, small or quirky. However, while not a trendy spot, with the Kendall Hotel the term Boutique is not a misnomer. The property is clean, well appointed in terms of design and offers excellent value for a stay in a large city. While not situated downtown, Cambridge is close enough to Boston for this to be considered an A+ location. Rooms were very clean, not spotless, but very clean. Service was a bit mixed (Some of the staff that worked there were friendly and congenial while others were humorless). Overall, the experience was pleasant, enjoyed staying here and would certainly return. On-site parking while costly was very convenient!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We've stayed twice at the Kendall Hotel because of iuts excellent location near the T station (Kendall/MIT on the Red Line), good service and the Fire Station theme appeals particularly to our two grandsons. Rooms are comfortable, staff are very helpful. Breakfasts are good, although staff aren't able to keep up with demand so we found we had to wait most mornings for one or two items to be brought out. Apart from this, service was good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Kendall probably 10 times, on various visits to MIT. I love the location and the rooms. There is also much less noise between rooms than at the Meridien, the other nice hotel near MIT. I've always had great sleeps at the Kendall. The Meridien, on the other hand, is horrible in terms of noise from neighboring rooms.

However, it dawned on me during my last stay that nobody has ever said to me, Thank you for staying here xx times. When I check in, they always ask if I've stayed at the Kendall before, so they obviously don't mark repeat customers in the system.

The desk staff usually is indifferent, usually you have to ring the bell to get them out of their rabbit hole in the back, where they are probably on the internet.

I will keep going back, but I don't love it as much as I could. How 'bout showing some appreciation for your loyal customers?

The reservation system on-line doesn't even allow you to register, it treats you as a one-hit wonder, just making the one reservation. They have made no attempt to connect with good clients.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Playing on its location in a former fire station, the Kendall Hotel uses firefighting motif through out, from the little signs in the door knob to the toy fire trucks in the lobby. The rooms, which are of average size for the hotel class and the location, are decorated in what appears to be salvaged ("antique") furniture. It is consistent and somewhat pleasant, even if not very original or elegant.

We appreciated the bundled services, common in hotels of this class, such as free wi-fi and complimentary warm beverages (albeit outside the room).

However, sleep quality was also on par with the hotel class - the bed wasn't high-end and didn't provide adequate support. The electronics in the room and the toiletries in the bathroom were of equally average quality. There was no view from the windows.

The included breakfast was ordinary: fat and cholesterol laden, ostensibly lacking in healthy choices. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The Kendall Hotel is a good choice for a budget hotel. However, it is often more expensive than neighboring hotels such as the higher quality Le Meridian Cambridge. At almost $150 (inclusive), that's too dear for the quality offered.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
AndersonLoganFamily, Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Thank you for recently staying with us. I am glad you found the “Americana” style pleasing; each piece in the hotel was thoughtfully chosen by our owner, nothing from hotel catalogues.
I wanted to let you know the two areas you rated us as budget are the two we have placed a great amount of focus and do not “skimp” on:

Beds and our Breakfast:

We spend a great deal of time ensuring that we provide a high quality breakfast; our competitors use powdered eggs, fruit out of a can, not real maple syrup, and processed bread. Our breakfast is made fresh – farm eggs cracked in our kitchen and made in small batches through-out the morning, fresh fruit – hand cut each day, home-made scones, Boars Head bacon, real maple syrup and very high quality pastries. Our bread is from a local baker, made without preservatives. I am so sorry you did not find our breakfast as wonderful as we had hoped.

Our beds were selected with much thought. As we are locally owned, we researched and selected a local manufacturer to make our beds and only use 100% cotton for our linens. We do realize that the proper amount of support varies by person and we have chosen beds that appeal to the majority of our guests.

Our hair dryers are pretty standard and our bath amenities are from a very high end company, not too florally or fragrant, I think simple best describes them.

Thank you for your feedback and observations. We truly appreciate knowing about our guests' experiences so we can address our challenges and celebrate our successes. This is not a cliché, but something we take to heart.

By the way, I recently took a trip to Copenhagen and I have to admit Copenhagen is by far is one of my favorite cities; the food, people and quality of life there is unmatched, I loved it there.

Warmest regards,
Brenda
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Kendall hotel is conveniently located at the Kendall square subway stop, so there is easy access to other destinations in both Cambridge and Boston. The hotel is on the historical register (former engine firehouse). I was pleasantly surprised by this place. Staff is very friendly. Features free buffet breakfast and a a free happy hour during the week between 5 and 6 PM for guests. I also had dinner at their Black Sheep restaurant, which was very good. Free internet access also provided. If you plan to stay in Cambridge, check this place out. I would definitely stay there again. Much better alternative than the big hotel chains in the area.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights.
Well decorated, nice room, big bathroom.
A few things I like to highlight is that the management/owner of this hotel did think about what travelers need/like:
1. Complementary Tea and Coffee by the lift - this is esp. nice after walking in the cold.
2. Breakfast included - I did not need to negotiate with the hotel, its included in all room rates
3. Free Internet - CAT and Wifi - once again, included (you dont need a password, its free and I dont need to ask for it)
4. Really nice Sky Lounge - its a nice place to hang out with friends
5. Friendly Staff

As a business traveler, its just nice to go to a hotel that knows what you need and you dont have to ask for them. A lot of the chains claims they have more amenities / services but they charge everything - in my opinion that's not genuine good service.

Of course, Im not that gullible to believe that what's Free is really free. However, you can tell what the management/owner is thinking by observing how they package their services. Naturally, the people of Kendall Hotel believes hot tea, free internet, free breakfast, nice lounge and many other things are simple essential to a business traveler. Many hotel chains don't have the same kind of insight.

Btw, I paid US$139/night - not the cheapest room in the area but I did appreciate the service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!