“Absolutely Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at the Charles Hotel while at Harvard University for a conference. The hotel is perfect. No fault at all. Quiet and very spacious rooms (had one with double beds). Excellent room service. Excellent restaurants within the hotel and nearby. The free wifi was decent and worked in the rooms and lobby. The in-room safe worked well and the minibar was convenient. The location is ideal - near plenty of shopping and restaurants and cafes. A short stroll to the Harvard University buildings and main campus. Will definitely stay here again if needing accommodation at Harvard University.

Stayed July 2014
alexattia, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I would be happy to share your kind words with the team. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

As usual I booked my flights to Boston long in advance using hipmunk.com and then later I get around to the hotel, again on hipmunk.com (awesome website for flights and hotels - my best advice to my fellow travelers). Stayed 12 nights on business trip at Harvard. The Charles Hotel is the best in the area; a bit pricey, but this is Cambridge after all. I wanted a quiet room so I got a room facing the inner courtyard and it is definitely quiet. Free delicious coffee on the second floor to open and close my day. Great workout room. Also walked along the Charles river as an alternate for exercise. Some friends stayed at other hotels, but they loved my room and ambiance of my hotel when they visited me. Did not use the hotel restaurant since always ate out for every meal.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you get the chance to dine with us during your next stay.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles and giving you the experience you expect and deserve from us.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great location just off Harvard Square near convenient dining, retail, public transport including the T, and most of Harvard. Hotel is dated, but prices are not! Rooms are adequate, staff are pleasant, restaurant served very good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square and the surrounding area has to offer.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I worked at the original, Le Pli Spa in the Charles, 20 some years ago. But I've never actually stayed in the hotel itself and had never seen the rooms. The location is mint. It's in Harvard Sq but just on the edge with easy access to make a get away without driving around the loop of the Square. And it's great access to public transportation, and just plain hoofin it. The hotel has exceptional restaurants, a full spa & fitness center, bars, I think it's a jazz bar still I didn't go in this time but it's got it all. There's also an Avis rent-a-car onsite which is extremely convenient. The rooms are large, and you pretty much can't get a bad view with it's ideal location. The bed is very comfortable, I have a lot of orthopedic injuries so this is something that is key for me. I slept better than I sleep in my own bed at the Charles. It's got an upscale feel to it but it's not outrageously priced for all the amenities in the hotel itself and the room which is definitely worth it. The staff are great, very friendly and go the extra mile. It instantly became one of my favorite hotels and I will absolutely keep coming back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. Your kind words will not go unnoticed. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square and the surrounding area has to offer. It's wonderful that after all these years you finally got to spend the night at The Charles.

Osterville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our stay at the Charles Hotel was perfection! We were welcomed cordially and lea
d to a comfortable and thoughtfully appointed room. The hotel sparkles! Our dinner and breakfast at Henrietta's Kitchen were both freshly prepared and well served. We had such fun listening and dancing to the music of Lookie Lookie at the Ragatta Bar. It was a refreshing treat for us and our friends all around!! Will go again for sure!

Room Tip: We were offered both a courtyard or a "City " view. Chose the city as we like to see what...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us at Henrietta's Table and the show at The Regattabar.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I'm very ambivalent on this hotel. On the one hand, it's right in the middle of Harvard Square and is beautifully decorated with a real sense of place. On the other hand, the service is really difficult. At check-in, we had asked for adjoining rooms. We understood these were not guaranteed, but the clerk appeared to be completely indifferent and announced with great satisfaction that she had found us two rooms on the same floor. The hotel only has six floors with guest rooms so that did not seem like much of an accomplishment, our rooms were far apart on the floor.

Later on, I called to say that the room my husband and I were staying in had an enormous sag in the bed on the right side. The staff member sounded confused by this and had to call back twice before she was able to tell me they would change the mattress once I went out for the day. Then, when I returned in the evening, the mattress had not been changed! I ended the trip with a backache and a poor memory of the Charles.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations.Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. We hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you during future stays.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Service was great and rooms were nice. Plenty of amenities. Owe could walk anywhere in Cambridge and Harvard square very easily. They even have Farmers market on weekends which is a nice perk. Would stay again. Keep in mind, this is a nice hotel in Cambridge so not cheap.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square has to offer. The Charles Square Farmers Market is one of the highlights of our summer, I am glad you got to enjoy this perk.