“Location! Just off Harvard Square in comfortable surroundings” 3 of 5 stars

Charles Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Bennett St, Cambridge, MA 02138   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Cambridge
Singapore
“Location! Just off Harvard Square in comfortable surroundings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great location just off Harvard Square near convenient dining, retail, public transport including the T, and most of Harvard. Hotel is dated, but prices are not! Rooms are adequate, staff are pleasant, restaurant served very good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
alexattia, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square and the surrounding area has to offer.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles and giving you the experience you expect and deserve from us.

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I worked at the original, Le Pli Spa in the Charles, 20 some years ago. But I've never actually stayed in the hotel itself and had never seen the rooms. The location is mint. It's in Harvard Sq but just on the edge with easy access to make a get away without driving around the loop of the Square. And it's great access to public transportation, and just plain hoofin it. The hotel has exceptional restaurants, a full spa & fitness center, bars, I think it's a jazz bar still I didn't go in this time but it's got it all. There's also an Avis rent-a-car onsite which is extremely convenient. The rooms are large, and you pretty much can't get a bad view with it's ideal location. The bed is very comfortable, I have a lot of orthopedic injuries so this is something that is key for me. I slept better than I sleep in my own bed at the Charles. It's got an upscale feel to it but it's not outrageously priced for all the amenities in the hotel itself and the room which is definitely worth it. The staff are great, very friendly and go the extra mile. It instantly became one of my favorite hotels and I will absolutely keep coming back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. Your kind words will not go unnoticed. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square and the surrounding area has to offer. It's wonderful that after all these years you finally got to spend the night at The Charles.

Osterville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our stay at the Charles Hotel was perfection! We were welcomed cordially and lea
d to a comfortable and thoughtfully appointed room. The hotel sparkles! Our dinner and breakfast at Henrietta's Kitchen were both freshly prepared and well served. We had such fun listening and dancing to the music of Lookie Lookie at the Ragatta Bar. It was a refreshing treat for us and our friends all around!! Will go again for sure!

Room Tip: We were offered both a courtyard or a "City " view. Chose the city as we like to see what...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us at Henrietta's Table and the show at The Regattabar.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I'm very ambivalent on this hotel. On the one hand, it's right in the middle of Harvard Square and is beautifully decorated with a real sense of place. On the other hand, the service is really difficult. At check-in, we had asked for adjoining rooms. We understood these were not guaranteed, but the clerk appeared to be completely indifferent and announced with great satisfaction that she had found us two rooms on the same floor. The hotel only has six floors with guest rooms so that did not seem like much of an accomplishment, our rooms were far apart on the floor.

Later on, I called to say that the room my husband and I were staying in had an enormous sag in the bed on the right side. The staff member sounded confused by this and had to call back twice before she was able to tell me they would change the mattress once I went out for the day. Then, when I returned in the evening, the mattress had not been changed! I ended the trip with a backache and a poor memory of the Charles.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations.Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. We hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you during future stays.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Service was great and rooms were nice. Plenty of amenities. Owe could walk anywhere in Cambridge and Harvard square very easily. They even have Farmers market on weekends which is a nice perk. Would stay again. Keep in mind, this is a nice hotel in Cambridge so not cheap.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square has to offer. The Charles Square Farmers Market is one of the highlights of our summer, I am glad you got to enjoy this perk.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I was here for a conference. I don't know how expensive it was (probably pretty pricey), but my employer was paying, so why not stay where the conference was hosted. The room was clean and comfortable, The in-room WiFi seemed a little slow, but I wasn't trying to stream Netflix or anything, so no biggie. They had a notice that they wouldn't change the towels unless you asked, but even though I folded my towels to keep them usable, they kept replacing them. The bed was particularly comfortable--I slept very well.

The story I'd like to tell is related to the conference hosting. I requested a kosher meal. When I got to the conference, they told me they had my request and to notify the server at lunch. I did this, but they screwed up and had given my meal to someone else. I get it, people make mistakes. I was ready to be upset because I felt a little bit like the hostess was blaming me, but that was probably more due to missing lunch than any real offense.

When I got to my room that evening, I found a bottle of wine, a plate of fruit, a plate of sweets and a letter of apology saying they would make sure the mistake was not repeated. Again, people make mistakes, but they went the extra mile to compensate for their error without me making a fuss because they have a focus on service. And I got my kosher meal the next two days.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear your needs were not initially met, however, I am happy that this issue was quickly resolved. Our staff is dedicated to providing our guests with exceptional service and we are pleased to hear that their efforts were so generously acknowledged.

Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Every time I came to Boston, I stayed at the Charles and was never disappointed. The location is ideal to commute through Boston from Newton to Downtown. The rooms with the full length windows are the best and were my dog 's enjoyment.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
alexattia, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your families recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from your guestroom amenities to our convenient location.

Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!