“Not kid-friendly” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Cambridge
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not kid-friendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We thought it would be fun to stay at the Charles Hotel for New Year's eve and treat the kids to a fun night in Cambridge but things didn't turn out as planned. Upon check-in, we were informed that the pool and fitness area closed at 3 PM and would not re-open until the next day. Also, kids were not able to swim until 2 PM the next day. Kids swimming hours are from 2-5 PM only. Checkout is at 11 AM. No one informed us of this when the reservation was made. The front desk graciously extended our checkout time to 3:30 PM so that the kids could swim and offered a small rebate on the bill. We actually wanted to head home a this point (we live close by) but they wouldn't allow us to cancel at that point.

The room was fine except for the running toilet that kept going all night long. The floor was wet from the dripping water so we needed to use extra towels to keep the floor dry.

The big frustration was the next morning when we found out that the hot water tank broke and there was no hot water (until after noon). After a very cold shower, we were then told that Henrietta's was closed for a private party and we needed to go elsewhere for breakfast/brunch...
The manager offered to credit us $100 but after so many mishaps they decided not to charge us in the end.

We've enjoyed many work events at the Charles Hotel and enjoy all the restaurants, so we were truly disappointed with our recent stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I also regret the circumstances that prevented us from providing you with the superior service that you expect and deserve. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have been staying here once or twice a year for many years. The amazing thing is the building, furnishings and services are always up to date. Nothing is frayed. The staff is competent and enthusiastic. Henrietta's Table is a great place for breakfast. Rialto, while not a part of the hotel, is a consistently terrific restaurant -imaginative menu, quality food preparation, service and atmosphere. We travel a great deal; this is one place where we are never disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay as well as your interactions with our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team.

If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Amazing beds, very nice bathrooms w/ a good amount of toiletries, and of course perfect location. The Noir Bar is excellent for cocktails. Was surprised there was no in-room coffee so I ordered some from room service, then, came to find there's free coffee down in the restaurant at Henrietta's (wish I had known that by my 3rd day as no one told us when we checked in). Free NYT every morning was a nice surprise. I booked far enough in advance I got a decent rate that was less than a few of the other hotels in the area. Stayed 5 nights and those beds are worth it alone. And it is was shockingly quiet, even on the weekend.

Only complaint is the shifty cab drivers hanging around when you need to go somewhere. Have the front desk call someone from a reputable cab company if you can, don't let them flag down just anyone! I paid $40 to go to the airport (it should be $32 at most) in a beat up cab that smelled awful, no help with the bags even though I'm clearly handicapped, and the guy argued with me about using a credit card because he only wanted cash.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. Also, please be aware that you may request a coffee maker for your room and one will be delivered (based upon availability).

If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you at The Charles soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a very nice hotel.
We had a nice large room knowing we would be in it a lot. Not much open over Christmas and the weather was crummy. Cold and wet the first day and colder but dry the next 2 days - 19-28 F
We brought some dvd's but they had no player and the movie selection was terrible.
Food at Henrietta's is very good - great buffet.
Room service was mediocre. food always came cold. Cold soup and hamburger.
Great location. Near everything Harvard related - no MIT
The reason I am writing is because others have written about the Doorman or lack there of. Sometimes there is a doorman and sometimes there is none. Some times he helps and sometimes he watches. Not to for get all the suited men in the lobby to say hello - Hello.

We just laughed!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and your time spent dining at Henrietta’s Table. However, I am sorry that our services did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, I will be addressing these issues with the appropriate departments.

Middletown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Charles Hotel in Cambridge is a perfect location for exploring Harvard Square and beyond. The rooms are very comfortable, top notch sheets & towels.....even a TV screen in the bathroom mirror. There is an instant comfort level upon entering the room. The 2 restaurants, Henrietta's Table and Rialto offer top quality in both food and experience. The concierge ,Frank and Charlotte, are very helpful with suggestions and reservations. We have stayed at the Charles many times and I am pleased to stay that it is all consistently above average. One note.....the turn down service has disappeared.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us and your guestroom amenities. Your kind words regarding our staff will not go unnoticed.

If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I spent three nights here while attending a Harvard seminar in early December 2013. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed is delightful as are the large feather pillows. The food is exceptional and the proximity to Harvard square is ideal. It is an easy 30 minute drive from Logan airport. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us and everything Harvard Square has to offer.

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have always been a fan of the Charles Hotel, having been married in its ballroom some 28 year ago. However, I am sad to report that the things that once made the Charles a special place to stay are standard for similar hotels and the level of service I received was medicore at best. The room are nice and well kept. However, there is no turn-down service in the evenings. And, the level of personal attention I would expect at this hotel was totally lacking. I have to say that it really disappoints me to have to write this, but the level of personal attention received was no better than the Courtyard by Marriot down the street. The breakfast restaurant and associated bar are excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words as well as your suggestions for improvement and these matters will be addressed with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!