“As It Should Be” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Cleveland
“As It Should Be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Amazing beds, very nice bathrooms w/ a good amount of toiletries, and of course perfect location. The Noir Bar is excellent for cocktails. Was surprised there was no in-room coffee so I ordered some from room service, then, came to find there's free coffee down in the restaurant at Henrietta's (wish I had known that by my 3rd day as no one told us when we checked in). Free NYT every morning was a nice surprise. I booked far enough in advance I got a decent rate that was less than a few of the other hotels in the area. Stayed 5 nights and those beds are worth it alone. And it is was shockingly quiet, even on the weekend.

Only complaint is the shifty cab drivers hanging around when you need to go somewhere. Have the front desk call someone from a reputable cab company if you can, don't let them flag down just anyone! I paid $40 to go to the airport (it should be $32 at most) in a beat up cab that smelled awful, no help with the bags even though I'm clearly handicapped, and the guy argued with me about using a credit card because he only wanted cash.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. Also, please be aware that you may request a coffee maker for your room and one will be delivered (based upon availability).

If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you at The Charles soon.

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a very nice hotel.
We had a nice large room knowing we would be in it a lot. Not much open over Christmas and the weather was crummy. Cold and wet the first day and colder but dry the next 2 days - 19-28 F
We brought some dvd's but they had no player and the movie selection was terrible.
Food at Henrietta's is very good - great buffet.
Room service was mediocre. food always came cold. Cold soup and hamburger.
Great location. Near everything Harvard related - no MIT
The reason I am writing is because others have written about the Doorman or lack there of. Sometimes there is a doorman and sometimes there is none. Some times he helps and sometimes he watches. Not to for get all the suited men in the lobby to say hello - Hello.

We just laughed!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and your time spent dining at Henrietta’s Table. However, I am sorry that our services did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, I will be addressing these issues with the appropriate departments.

Middletown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Charles Hotel in Cambridge is a perfect location for exploring Harvard Square and beyond. The rooms are very comfortable, top notch sheets & towels.....even a TV screen in the bathroom mirror. There is an instant comfort level upon entering the room. The 2 restaurants, Henrietta's Table and Rialto offer top quality in both food and experience. The concierge ,Frank and Charlotte, are very helpful with suggestions and reservations. We have stayed at the Charles many times and I am pleased to stay that it is all consistently above average. One note.....the turn down service has disappeared.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us and your guestroom amenities. Your kind words regarding our staff will not go unnoticed.

If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I spent three nights here while attending a Harvard seminar in early December 2013. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed is delightful as are the large feather pillows. The food is exceptional and the proximity to Harvard square is ideal. It is an easy 30 minute drive from Logan airport. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay including your time spent dining with us and everything Harvard Square has to offer.

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have always been a fan of the Charles Hotel, having been married in its ballroom some 28 year ago. However, I am sad to report that the things that once made the Charles a special place to stay are standard for similar hotels and the level of service I received was medicore at best. The room are nice and well kept. However, there is no turn-down service in the evenings. And, the level of personal attention I would expect at this hotel was totally lacking. I have to say that it really disappoints me to have to write this, but the level of personal attention received was no better than the Courtyard by Marriot down the street. The breakfast restaurant and associated bar are excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words as well as your suggestions for improvement and these matters will be addressed with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Albany, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here while on business for the first time in Boston. This is a great hotel with exceptional service that I would recommend to any friend or colleague. The location is within walking distance to the Harvard campus and a variety of historical sites. I plan to visit Boston this summer with my family and will definitely be staying at The Charles.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and everything Harvard Square has to offer. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Sincerely, Alex Attia General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel for a business conference. We now stay for pleasure. It is perfect for both. It features contemporary design and room furnishings referencing historic New England warmth and charm - with working high tech amenities for the business traveler. For instance, gorgeous antique quilts on the walls and the delicious Henrietta's Table restaurant to remind you that you are in Cambridge PLUS a TV in your bathroom mirror, so you can watch as you shave and a shared printer in the hall web cube. There is excellent WiFi in each room with a great desk setup. You can walk everywhere in Harvard Square, and to catch the T, so although the hotel is pricier than some, it is worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, including your time spent dining with us and your guestroom amenities. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon. Sincerely,
Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!