“Completely enjoyable stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Cambridge
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts, United States
“Completely enjoyable stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

What a terrific Harvard Square hotel! The room was modern, comfortable and smartly outfitted. Free wifi. The service, spearheaded by Concierge extraordinaire Frank, was outstanding. Food offerings were excellent on site, although The Sunday Brunch starts at noon ( late for our schedule). One complaint. Headed to Noir at 10:45 pm where we hoped to catch a late snack. No go. No food after 11:00. Not even soup. Were directed to return to our room to order room service by our dismally inferior waitress, Tiva. Seriously? Kelly, the sharp knife in the waitress drawer here, got creative and offered to order from room service for us to be delivered to our table. That's using your head. Tiva fail. Save by Kelly.
With one exception, a superior stay which we will repeat certainly.

• Stayed May 2013
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel! I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and were accommodated at Noir. If you have any further comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Cambridge is very attractive with many options in terms of walking around and the variety of shops and restaurants. This visit marked our 8th year staying at The Charles Hotel as our children attended Tufts & BU.

Food at Henrietta's restaurant is very average, the service is slow in all respects and the very noisy, open kitchen (pots banging, food preparers talking loudly, bread slicers churning) just adds to the already poor acoustics in the dining area. Legal Seafood which shares a courtyard with the hotel is great for New England seafood and drinks. The Rialto Restaurant (Jody Adams) was a gem in all ways and well priced for such fine dining.

My concerns (in the 'tips' section) about the rooms in the 300 series by the pool corridor and the beds are relative to where one stays in the hotel so beware what room is assigned to you. We stayed in 307... never again!

At times it was difficult getting a taxi with one doorman on duty who doesn't ask for help in hailing them or makes any attempt at order a cab. We booked a taxi-van (as we had a lot of luggage including a duffle bag) with the concierge the night before even though he was extremely pessimistic if he could even attempt this request. Next morning we received word that a taxi-van would be there at 8:30 am. When we came down the one, idle doorman was essentially waiting for taxis to pull up to the hotel for the 20 unhappy looking guests who were waiting for taxis. We informed him that a taxi-van had been pre-ordered for us. He looked at us in disbelief and walked away. Shortly thereafter a taxi van pulled up on the street in front of the hotel (did not pull into the driveway) and asked the doorman for us by name and room #. We were relieved as we would not have fit into a standard cab, but the others did not look happy when we got into the vehicle. The doorman then asked our driver to call for 5 more taxis. Knowing it was graduation weekend, The Charles should have provided the doorman with instructions to call taxi services if there was a backlog or put another doorman on to hail a car the old fashioned way. At these prices a lot of common sense is expected from Management for not looking after these details. Management should also be looking after Henrietta's as well .. when there's slow turnover due to very slow service the hotel is not making money and annoyed guests who are waiting for a table are grumpy as Henrietta's does not take reservations. We gave up on ordering dessert as it was too aggravating being ignored.

Room Tip: We were put in (we booked back in early Feb.) the low 300 rooms. We were never told these rooms sha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your time at Henrietta's Table and had poor interactions with the doorman. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My second stay at the Charles hotel didn't disappoint. Great location, classy, spacious rooms, good food. Can't fault it. Hope to come back again for a third visit.
Beds are amazing! Had some of the best night's sleep I have had in months.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every expect of your visit including our location, guestrooms and your time spent dining with us. If I can assist you further, please do not hestitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future!

Sitges, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I enjoyed my 3 night stay here. It's a great location on Harvard Square close to some really good bars and restaurants.
The hotel overall is very nice but a couple of niggles that detract from the experience.
I had a room (325) next to some staff services. Not sure what they were running in there but the noise from generator was irritating. The walls are thin and it needs some maintenance.
The beds are amazingly comfortable. The hotel gets 5 stars for the quality of bed, pillows and linens. The room is large enough so no complaints there but to work (I was there on business), the desk needs a much more ergonomically friendly chair. I needed both bed cushions for height and comfort.
Plenty of power points and 2 by the bedside for recharging phones. A gold star there!
The bathroom was well stocked and the typical US lay out. The really big disappointment was the shower. Huge water pressure at the tap which evaporates to a fine spray from the shower head. Not sure where all that pressure went but it was a shame to miss out on a really good shower. Would I stay here again - happily, but not next to staff services.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to staff services.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding our bedding as well as our location. Regarding the desk and water pressure, thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I will address these matters with the appropriate team members. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com with any further questions or comments you may have. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Nice room (and the window can open, always refreshing when you can switch off the AC and open the window), well equipped as you would expect from this type of hotel. Friendly service at reception/concierge. Great location if you need to be close to Harvard -- I did not, but good for walking around.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate your kind words regarding your guestroom, our location and your interactions with our staff. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The feeling you get when you walk into this hotel is one of hostility. It was not welcoming at all. The staff (inside and outside) simply look at you with blank stares and YOU need to approach them to find out more information or check-in.

Wasn't very impressed with the service levels, but the rooms are spacious and the location is good - close to shops, restaurants and campus.

Doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Charles Hotel. I apologize for the lack of interactions you had with our staff and will address this matter with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. However, I am happy you were able to take advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer and enjoyed your guestroom. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

san francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay at the Charles hotel from time to time. It is a good hotel in many ways, with a very good location. Just something for travelers to be aware of: the reservation department is not easy to deal with. First, cancellations are 48 hours and not the usual 24 hours for business hotel. Second, it is difficult to cancel because they are not linked to a global 1-800 number and they are hard to reach by phone so it may be difficult to call them. I tried to call them 3 days before my trip, then 2 days, and no way of getting hold of them. When I spoke to the supervisor, she was rude an insinuated that I had perhaps not called ahead after all. I ended up being charged.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with The Charles Hotel. I apologize that you were unable to get in touch with our reservations department regarding your reservation. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles. If you have any questions or if I can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!