“It's best to be Square” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Wayland, Massachusetts
“It's best to be Square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Charles Hotel, just off Harvard Square, is a gem. The rooms are beautifully appointed -- there's even a tv built into the bathroom mirror! -- and the staff couldn't be more helpful. The two restaurants give you a range of choices, and out on the plaza (that the hotel overlooks), there's also a Legal Seafood. If you like jazz, the hotel is home to the Regatta Bar, a great venue. And of course you can spend hours walking around Harvard, visiting numerous shops, galleries and museums. We stayed there as a little romantic getaway after attending a play at the fabuous American Repertory Theater, just a few blocks away.

And of course, if you want to hop in your car or take the T, you can be at a number of other popular squares (Porter, Central, Kendall) in just a few minutes, not to mention MIT and, across the Charles River, Boston. Surprisingly inexpensive, given Boston room rates, but don't tell them I said so.

FYI: We didn't use the spa, so no rating, but we've heard it's great. There's under-the-hotel parking, which is very convenient, and even a "juice bar" if you are one of those enlightened folks who drive an electric car.

Room Tip: Request a room high up that overlooks the Harvard campus, the Charles, and the Boston skyline.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words praising your guestroom, the Regattabar and our staff. I will be sure to share your comments with the team. I am glad you were able to take advantage of everything the surrounding area has to offer. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

On a holiday trip this winter to Boston, my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Charles. Service was exceptional, location was prime, and the accommodations were gorgeous. While we didn't use it during our stay, I loved the ice skating rink out front. There was a plethora of eateries within walking distance. Our view was awesome. The one thing I was remiss about was that Henrietta's was undergoing renovations during our visit and we didn't have the opportunity to dine there. My favorite aspect of this hotel was the room service. The food was delicious and fresh. Very prompt service!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Courtyard - facing Harvard Stadium.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Charles. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and everything we, as well as the surrounding area, have to offer. I apologize for the inconvenience brought upon you due to the renovations which were occuring at Henrietta's Table during your stay but am very happy you enjoyed the room service you received. If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel, and Henrietta's Table, in the future!

Peekskill, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

If your trip to the Boston area is not about being ‘in’ Boston, The Charles is the place to stay. Especially if your focus is the Harvard area. And there is a lot to see in the area, such as the museums and theaters associated with Harvard.

The Charles is priced high, but it is worth it. Look for a deal associated with an area venue. The Charles does offer discounts for such things. We were discounted through a play at the Loeb Drama Center.

The only issues we had were with the bed being too soft and the quality of the room service food not being worth what they are charging. We’ve stayed in comparable hotels in other cities with the same room service prices, but much higher quality meals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Charles. I enjoyed your kind words and am happy you were able to enjoy everything the surrounding area has to offer. However, I am sorry to hear you found your bed uncomfortable and did not fully enjoy your room service meal. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I will be addressing them with the appropriate team members. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a beautiful room. Two big windows overlooking Harvard square, big TV, TV in bathroom mirror, lots of outlets, free wi-fi, nice linens. Location is great. Housekeeping did a nice job, Very respectful. Hotel food was outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Charles. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your guest room as well as your time spent dining with us, our location and your interactions with our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel itself is charming and comfortable. I recently stayed over for 2 nights in a
well-appointed room and had meals at the excellent Henrietta's Table. However during most of my stay there was no hot water in the bathroom sink and the heat was not working properly - no matter how I adjusted the thermostat it was extremely
cold in the mornings. These are important deficiencies in a hotel which is rather pricey.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience brought upon you due to the lack of hot water and insufficient heat. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. Thank you for informing me of this and it has been brought to the attention of our Director of Engineering. However, I am happy that you otherwise enjoyed your stay as well as your time spent dining at Henrietta's Table. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

East Greenwich, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Only having one night to spend at the Charles is like letting a child take only one "MM" out of the one pound bag! I was left wanting another! Very "over the top" service. I really felt like they were glad we came! Thank you for making the final surprise of the day (my Wife's 50th birthday) the best!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the interior courtyard, very quiet!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your Charles Hotel experience with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as your wife's special birthday celebration! We are always honored to be able to contribute to a special occassion. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

First time at the Charles and I hope I have the opportunity to return.

The rooms are wonderful. Quality furniture that's also comfortable. The bed was one of the best I've slept on in years! The accessories in the room were all top-flight, though the iron in the room was falling apart. (Maybe hotels stock rooms with cheap/flimsy/near broken irons to keep them from disappearing. A large golf umbrella was in the closet; what a VERY nice touch.

The food at Henrietta's was fresh, tasty and well-prepared.

I had none of the service problems that other reviewers experienced. All were warm, friendly and very helpful. My only complaint is that I wish I had been able to checkout later than 12.30p, but that's not the fault of the front-desk staff.

Easy walk to everything in Harvard Square. Will definitely stay again if I'm headed to this part of the Boston area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us at The Charles. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed not only your accommodations and time spent dining with us, but your interactions with our staff and location as well. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future!

Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!