“Great Hitel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Great Hitel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just stayed at The Charles & thought it was one of the best in the Boston area as well as the best in Cambridge. The location is ideal right in Harvard Square. The rooms have been dine so thoughtfully for travelers & are beautiful. The entire staff was delightful & always willing to help.
We would highly recommend the Charles.
Mickey & Joe Geller

Room Tip: Most every room is lovely
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Charles Hotel this past weekend. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as our location. I also appreciate your kind words regarding your interactions with our staff. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
West Babylon, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed for the 1st time at the Charles Hotel in Cambridge Ma. Lovely hotel and the room I shared with my grandson was fine, nicely furnished and clean. Since we were going to attend a concert at the Regattabar in the hotel, it made sense to stay there.
We had breakfast in the hotel's Henrietta's Table restaurant. Organic foods,& a very nice selection for breakfast. Also have items on sale ( jellies, muffins, etc).
The hotel is situated a few blocks from the "T" (subway), and Harvard Square. As the day of the concert was pouring rain, we went to Hardvard's Museum of Natural History. Well worth the trip, a small fee to enter, cheaper for seniors/students. We spent at least 2 hours there, and it was enjoyable.
The hotel also had an ice rink outside, but, you need to bring your own skates. But, a good idea in the winter.
We found the staff friendly and helpful. One of the most unusual (in the bathroom) things was a tv inside the mirror. If you pushed the remote attached to the mirror, a tv screen appeared and offered the news of the day. It kind of freaked us out at first, with questions in our heads...could anyone see us thru the mirror. Of course, not, but it did take a while to get use to it being there.

Room Tip: No coffee makers in the room. They have free coffee/tea in lobby from 5am on. No safety handles in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us including, but not limited to, The Regattabar, Henrietta's Table, local area attractions and the amenities we offer. If there is anything further I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon!

Edina, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I go to the Charles often. We have two children at Harvard. It is the nicest property in Cambridge and has a great workout facility. It's a great location right in the heart of Cambridge. The staff is really nice. The casual restaurant Henrietta's is really good food and nice setting. Sometimes the hostess has an attitude but hey , it's Cambridge.
The rooms are nice but boring. And they should be updated soon.
I do think they take advantage of the college parents charging 3x their normal rate for graduation. That's the reward one gets for being loyal all four years. It's a nice hotel but overpriced when compared to the Westin in Copley for example. Rooms are nicer and better lit. Lighting at the Charles is horrible. And bathroom space average . But it is the place I would stay when visiting Cambridge !

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding the surrounding area as well as Henrietta's Table and the Wellbridge Athletic Club. I also am thankful for your suggestions on how we can improve and I will take these areas into consideration. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon!

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Charles 4 or 5 times over the past 10 years. I find the hotel to be very comfortable and quiet, the staff are helpful, and the location is great. It also has a fine restaurant, a top flight jazz club, and access to a very nice fitness club. I have stayed at a number of other places in Cambridge when traveling for business, but the Charles is my first choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your rewarding words regarding your stays at the Charles Hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of all the surrounding area has to offer in addition to the Regattabar and Wellbridge Athletic Club. Your kind comments about our staff are greatly appreciated and will not go unnoticed. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future.

State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Spent 3 nights in slow "between classes" period. Got 9th floor, interior courtyard facing updated room - quiet, even though was across from laundry and had a dog and baby next door. Interior arrangement of rooms and halls gives a lot of shielding from elevator and hall traffic noise.

Room in good condition w/newish coarse-woven, low maintenance, rug and furniture and bathroom in excellent/good condition. Had comp wi-fi in all rooms which was excellent. Nice king bed w/good sheets.

As the normal breakfast restaurant was being refloored, the high-end dining room was used which resulted in $20 +/- $2 for hot/cold buffet only, w/o tip. Food was good, but not great. Ate all other meals in the many, many restaurants very close (< 100 yards) nearby.

Parking is expensive ($36 for 12 hrs), even compared to other garages nearby, but it is under the hotel so is very convenient, well-lighted and safe.

The in-room "electronics" were not state-of-the-art; even getting a message on the phone was a challenge. There was no iPad in the room, which some places provide now, nor concierge info screen. The Inn @ Penn, for example, has all of these.

They have apparently taken an Eco approach as their forte, IMHO, to the extreme. The room heater/air conditioner always kept the same temperature, a cool 69.6, no matter what you set on the control. (There is one thin blanket in the closet.) The toilet paper was so thin that it required using many sheets, which is false eco(nomy). The hot water was only warm, and the water flow restrictors in the shower and sink were severe. This seemed to cross the line between Eco friendly and finding an excuse to cut all costs to the bone.

There was no coffee/tea maker in room, which is IAW Cambridge fire code, but there was also no way to even get a cup of coffee or tea, except for room service. Nor was there even a coffee/tea stand in the lobby, or anywhere. Even to get water hot enough to make tea required room service @ a cost of $1.50 + $3.00 Svc chg + 18% tip. This was typical of the stay.

There are better hotels in Cambridge than the Charles, which seems to be resting on its location and reputation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard and higher up, away from the bar are much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Charles Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding your accommodations. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences brought upon you due to the offered electronics, pricing, thermostat and water flow. I will share these concerns with the appropriate team members. I appreciate your suggestion regarding coffee makers in the room and will take it under advisement. However, I do want to be sure that you are aware of our complimentary coffee provided for guests. We serve coffee in our lobby every morning from 5:30 until 7:00. As of 7AM, the complimentary coffee is available at the Host’s desk in Henrietta’s Table until 11 AM. I will also place a note in your guest profile requesting a coffee maker in your room (based on availability) during your future stays with us. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I work for a non-profit outside of MA, and recently had the opportunity to assist in coordinating a 3-day meeting at the nearby Harvard Kennedy School. Our guests stayed at the Charles Hotel and as I understand it, very much enjoyed their time there! The staff was awesome, from start to finish. The front desk staff was delightful and very helpful with directions, questions (tons), and local maps and handouts on the local area. The hotel is located directly next door to the Taubman building, which is where our meetings were held. As the meetings rolled on through the day, there were some last minute details that came up that required some printing, and we did not have access to a printer in the building. The front desk at the hotel graciously stepped in and offered their services, in addition to the business center located on the same floor. We also has a reception in their restaurant, the Rialto, and were very pleased with the selections and waitstaff.

The hotel is in the heart of Harvard Square, with countless shops and eateries to visit. Our international guests especially loved the location and convenience to everything - including Boston!

A very enjoyable experience, I would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to host guests for a nearby meeting/conference. Or to anyone looking to explore Cambridge/Boston for a leisure trip, this hotel is magnificent for a getaway in the city!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your conference attendees' stay with us at the Charles Hotel! Your kind words regarding the assistance of our front desk staff and our location is greatly appreciated. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you and your guests in the future!

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I'm a local and stayed here on a mini mom-cation. I have always enjoyed the ambience of the hotel when dining at Rialto or Henriettas's Table. I had a standard room, which was nicely furnished in a cozy New England style - lovely and comfortable bed! The shower/tub was a bit basic but still a nice bathroom (in-mirror tv.) Dinner at Rialto as usual didn't disappoint - fresh and inventive cuisine. Continental breakfast from room service was quick, delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were all friendly and courteous in all my encounters.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words regarding your time spent at the Charles! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time spent dining with us at Rialto as well as room service. I also appreciate your positive feedback about our guestrooms and encounters with our staff. Thank you again and if I can assist you further, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!