“Guess I'm not "hip" enough to get it.” 3 of 5 stars

Charles Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Bennett St, Cambridge, MA 02138   |
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Weston, CT
“Guess I'm not "hip" enough to get it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Why is this place $500/night? Sure, it's a fabulous location. Yes, the sheets are very high quality. Cool that there's a tv screen that reflects from the bathroom mirror. But the rooms are smallish, and the ceilings are low. All of the Cambridge hotels are expensive, but this one I just don't get.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear your experience did not live up to your expectations and you feel you received less than you should have for the price you paid. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If there is anything we can do to make your future stays with us more enjoyabe, please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon.

Alex Attia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Because driving and parking is such a challenge in greater Boston, I wanted to stay somewhere I could walk, explore, and come and go without ever having to worry about taking my car. This hotel is absolutely beautiful! I received an UPGRADE upon arriving to a SUITE which was practically a mini apartment! - a lovely entry with dining table and desk, a separate living room, a separate bedroom, two bathrooms, a huge bathtub and separate shower. Cool, original artwork too! MOST UNIQUE FEATURE.... As I stood in the bathroom, I spotted a little remote that said 'Mirror TV' on it. I pressed 'power' and whoa - a tv magically appeared in the mirror! Later that night, I turned off all the bathroom lights and watched tv while taking a nice hot bath!

The best feature is its location. It's right on the Charles River where you can walk for hours. Tons of people run, walk, ride bikes and kayak here. The hotel is also in the center of Harvard Square so there are tons of cafes, retail shops, street vendors, and more. Tons of amazing vegetarian spots, (including vegan ice cream) and even the most high-end restaurants have tofu on the menu. BEST SHOPPING is that Cambridge is home to a ridiculous amount of bookstores. They line the streets!

Other great things - There are two restaurants and two bars right in the hotel. One very hip bar and one jazz bar. Both restaurahave serve delicious and unique food plus incredible drinks! (Roasted root vegetable Bloody Mary! MM!) Henrietta's serves amazing Sunday brunch but I had delicious breakfast delivered to my room in the morning! Also attached is a great spa and guests have free access to a gym located just outside.

I truly love this hotel! I'll never stay anywhere else in Cambridge. I am a repeat customer for life!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Charles Hotel. The surrounding area has plenty to offer and I am glad you took advantage of the many nearby restaurants, shops, and the spa and fitness center we have right here at the hotel. I am also pleased to hear your guest room exceeded your expectations. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the near future!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The rooms here are well equipped and the Internet is quite fast. The desk space is great to work on late night tasks. The location is perfect if you have meetings in Cambridge, and it is only a short trip on the train to get into Boston proper.

• Stayed May 2012
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback about your stay at the Charles! Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I am happy to hear we met all your needs with our design and amenities. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you any further. Thank you again for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Charles for two nights for an out of town wedding. Absolutely beautiful. The rooms were very clean, the staff was extremely nice and very helpful with restaurant suggestion and driving directions. The reception was also at the Charles. Very beautifully done and the food was excellent. Best hotel i have ever stayed in. Would definitely return for a future stay if im ever in the area again.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback about your visit to the Charles. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at the wedding and enjoyed your guest room. I also appreciate your kind words regarding your interactions with our staff. Your comments will not go unnoticed and are greatly appreciated. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can be of any assistance to you. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We recently stayed here for a wedding and had previously stayed here years ago. It is such a comfortable and different hotel. The furnishings are a sort of contemporary country. The beds are super comfortable and rooms are a comfortable size.

The coolest thing, which I have never seen is the tv in the bathroom mirror. Such a cool feature. My son spent the morning playing in the tub and watching a morning cartoon.

We also attended a wedding at the hotel. Really beautiful. The cocktail hour was delicious, so many options and everything was delicious. By the time dinner came we were so full. But continued on and everything was delicious. I would definitely recommmend staying here as well as eating here.

Not to mention the great Harvard Square location cannot be beat. Lots of historical sites and shopping. And my husband's favorite activity, people watching.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the wedding as well as your time spent dining with us and the television in the bathroom mirror. The Harvard Square location has a lot to offer and I'm glad you got to experience it. Please feel free to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assit you any further. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here over the night of the 22nd of September. I had originally booked through expedia for a deluxe guest room with two double beds. I was checked-in by Charlotte who did not appear to be interested or bothered by my Expedia request and subsequently placed me in a small room with one full sized bed. I called reception and asked to have my pre-paid room request be respected and upon my return to the front desk I was made to feel like I had caused the problem and inconvenienced her. Additionally, I just reviewed my credit card statement and the Charles double charged me for that night after Expedia had billed me for almost $300 already. I already called my credit card company and have the proper documentation so disputing this charge will not be a problem just an inconvenience which I did not expect from a hotel of this quality. But I suspect, it was just the carelessness or lack of desire to help by one rogue employee. My stay was otherwise nice. The room was clean and the location in Cambridge can not be beat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Charles. Please accept my apologies for the troublesome time you had with your reservation and the double billing. If I can assist you with anything further, including correcting your bill, please let me know. Guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Charles and I am sorry you did not receive the service expected and deserved from us. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com with any further comments or questions. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel sometime soon.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I were looking forward to a quiet weekend getaway - the first since having our son over a year ago. The hotel appeared very nice aesthetically, seemed to have decent service, BUT THEN....a series of concerts took place seemingly in our hotel room. The first night, the was a Jazz festival which ticket-holders couldn't have heard as well as we did from inside our room. The second night, a techno dance club with bass which shook the room as if it was being piped in through dozens of speakers. The hotel should be ashamed of itself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Charles Hotel. I apologize for the excess noise in your guestroom due to nearby entertainment in the hotel. The noise you heard is not audible throughout the entire hotel and please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Charles Hotel in the future and giving you the experience you had hoped for. I will ensure you are in an area where any possible entertainment cannot be heard. Please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back and giving you the Charles Hotel experience you expect and deserve from us.

Alex Attia

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!