“Cozy New England Chic with Modern Comforts” 5 of 5 stars

Charles Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Bennett St, Cambridge, MA 02138   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Birmingham, Alabama
“Cozy New England Chic with Modern Comforts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Perfect cozy New England charm, the only thing missing from my room at the Charles Hotel was a fireplace. Perfect please to stay when visiting Harvard. Wonderful spa, Corbu. Great food at Henrietta's Table. Bose alarm clock. NYT delivered to my door every morning. The TV mirror in the bathroom is a funny amenity, but I do use it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Have been staying at charles hotel since 2000. Unfortunately recent experiences have been less than optimal. While the location and rooms are great.. the requested rooms were not ready for check in at 3 pm the last two times . Asked to hang around as the room was getting ready . Option was another room. but was facing garbage dump. Second time the manger who volunteered to look into the matter did not even respond back to respond but disappeared.
I booked again to stay there this weekend and called to request a 1 hour early check in ..only answer i got from front desk was " i cannot guarantee early check in "
If this kind of service attitude continues for a returning guest of 11 years I am wondering if I should stay there any more... And i am sure they are not bothered !!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The hotel is centrally located in Cambridge and the facilities are top-notch. The staff fell over themselves to help out (our travel agent made some mistakes with our booking that the staff were able to accommodate and fix at 11pm when we checked in, late check-outs, emailing copies of invoices etc) and the room was more than I was expecting for the price (approx. $180 including taxes). Will definately stay there again if we are ever in the greater Boston area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
near Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Staying at the Charles Hotel is perfect for spending time in Cambridge on business or leisure. Considering all the lodging options in the area, this place puts you in the middle of everything for almost the same price as some places that are farther away from the action.

Our stay was only for one night but the beds were so comfortable that I wish we could have slept there a little longer. Even though Harvard Square is busy, loud, and usually crowded, being up on the one of the top floors left with pure peace and quiet. Our room did face the brick courtyard and had no view of the square but that was fine with us.

In the room, the mirror in the bathroom had an integrated tv. That was new for me and a neat touch while the rest of the room was of a neutral, contemporary decor. The two lamps I used had dimmer switches and the staff had a crib we had requested for our baby ready and made up in the room when we walked in.

As a driver, I was actually impressed with the well-lit and exceptionally clean parking garage below the hotel.

My only complaint was that around 3 a.m., I woke up with a headache. I knew the aspirin I requested wouldn't be free but I didn't expect to have to call down to the front desk a second time after waiting 20 minutes. After the second call, they brought it right up.

I would definitely stay here again but next time I won't forget my own aspirin.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Seymour, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Charles was a pleasure to stay in, great location, beautiful room, lots of amenities, and the restaurants were great!

Room Tip: we were in 608 and had a great view of Memorial Dr and the Charles River...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a very nice hotel and there's nothing functionally wrong with it: the beds were nice, rooms were clean, service was over-all excellent. But they're really charging a premium price (I paid around $350 a night with taxes etc) and I think when you're paying that much you can nit-pick a bit.

It snowed several inches while I was there and I was a little annoyed to see lots of staff hanging out while I dragged my suitcase through the unshoveled snow and got my socks wet. But as my brother said they probably have a contractor to do that who hadn't showed up yet.

The main part of the hotel, and the rooms themselves, basically make you think you've died and woken up in an LL Bean catalog circa 1985. And I know the 80's are back so this might appeal to some. As for me I break out in hives when I see a pair of top siders (they were wrong the first time and they're wrong now) so again I may be overly sensitive on this point.

My room had faux shaker furniture, a nicely redone bathroom (but retaining that ultimate 80's luxury: the toilet-side phone), particle board work station and a copy of the Atlantic -- which was nice...

Also I had left my lap top at home so used the computers that were in the little business center on my floor. These are in sore need of updating.

The restaurant Rialto is excellent and has been redone in a more contemporary style, as have the two bars. And it may be that they're working on a longer run renovation.

Overall this is a good choice for the area, esp if you need a bit more room, like a bigger hotel and want to be a few steps from Harvard Square. But if you're willing to be in a smaller room, and if you're more into the decor, then Veritas is probably a better choice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Bellingham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We booked two rooms through the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. We were very happy to receive all the amenities upon check in (including both rooms being upgraded), early check in and a 4:00pm checkout without having to ask for it. The size of the rooms were great. The bathroom shower was large, modern and clean. Some elements of the hotel rooms seemed a bit dated. Each floor had a small internet station with a computer and printer. Our room must have been near a machine closet (adjacent or on the roof maybe). There was a continuous hum that I noticed when it was quiet and I wanted to sleep. It was not the room heat or fan. It was something outside of the room. At least it wasn't kicking on and off or it would have been really annoying. The food at Henrietta's was good. Someone in the restaurant (manager maybe) was complaining rather loudly that it was annoying that guest were coming for breakfast just as it was ending. Breakfast ends at 10:30 on a Sunday morning, which is a bit early. Our server was very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!