“Great City Break Location” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Sidney St, Cambridge, MA 02139   |
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, England
“Great City Break Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

This hotel seems mainly for the business crowd. Having said that the rooms were well decorated and furnished. If you do not mind walking then the location is great as it is mid way between Harward and MIT, however the subway station is not that far either. Whilst breakfast is not included there are a number of cafes and restaurents in the vacinity of the motel. There is coffee making facility included in the rooms and there was good TV choice but BBC World Service was not available. Parking facility is next doors - bit expensive.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed at the Le Meridien in Cambridge this past Labor day weekend. The weather that weekend in Boston was sunny and 75 degrees, so needless to say, we weren't in the room very often. However, the hotel provided a great place to crash after a long day walking on the Freedom trail and browsing around Quincy market. The beds are SO comfortable, getting out of bed is difficult. The location was great. We were about 3 blocks from the Central square T-stop, on the red line, which is super convenient. The hotel was clean, the staff is friendly, and the location was great. All this at a great value, what more can you ask for? We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Wiesbaden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Le Meridien Cambridge was an enjoyable experience. The rooms were comfortable, attractive, and super clean. Rooms were quiet- did not hear any hall noise although there were many others on our floor. The bathroom was clean, towels large and fluffy. (I do wish they had bathrobes as stated on the web site.)

Room service was overpriced, but decent food. I hated the snack tray that took up too much room on the desk. No prices were noted for it or the mini-bar.

Door service was not always available. I think he was overworked. We had an occasion to call for a few adjustments in the room (sink and safe), which were both handled promptly by a very courteous and efficient man from Jamaica.

Taxis were readily available. The walk to Central Square metro was through an area I would call borderline. Lots of panhandlers and drunks. The hotel location is okay-not great. If you are taking public transportation, be aware of this and consider a taxi at night.

Location is the biggest drawback for this hotel. Still, I will stay here again- other factors make up for this. Staff was all helpful and friendly and the rate was very reasonable. Oh - and free internet access!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I regretfully have to write this review. This hotel is a trendy upscale hotel in close proximity to a college. The decor is modern. The rooms are great!! The service is at best poor. Upon check-in the Valet/Bellman was unprepared and working alone. The front desk staff lacked the usual customer friendly enthusiasm. I called down for my vehicle to be brought up front to go to a concert 30 minutes in advance. I arrive downstairs and they tell me that they can not find my Lincoln Navigator. I am quietly furious but I wait patiently. When I returned I was told to just leave my keys with the front desk. This is not the type of service that I am used to for a hotel of this caliber. The rate was excellent. So for that I recommend this hotel but park your own car and don't expect 3, 4, or 5 star service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed for one night at the Meridien, Cambridge.

PROS-Location..surrounded by restaurants, pubs, college nightlife

Rooms are new, beautiful large hi-def tv.

Great view!

We got an incredible price

Easy to get to from Logan

CONS-Location...about 4 healthy blocks to the T. Not so fun in heels
P.S. Boston, you are a metropolis, WHY can't you run until 3am on Fridays and Saturdays? Ur clubs don't close until at least 2am ...do you REALLY want all those drunk people on the road?

PARKING-This is not to be trite, parking anywhere in Boston is WORSE than New York...even the municipal garages are gougy

The Lighting in the Bathroom is NOT good for a woman applying makeup. It was very dark. ADD A LIGHT TO THE MAKEUP MIRROR!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lombard, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I chose this hotel for our trip to Boston for the fact that they have queen sized beds, not doubles, in the reasonably priced room, and that it has recently been renovated. We were not disappointed. The room is very comfortable and although there were 3 of us in the room (2 queen beds) for 4 nights, we did not feel cramped. The room is full of light and stylishly decorated, with a fabulously large flat screen TV that my son and husband really appreciated it. The desk chair was very comfortable to sit in and read. Our room looked out on a nice courtyard (great place for morning yoga) and view of the Boston skyline. We did not notice noise coming from other rooms. The bathroom was nicely proportioned with an excellent tub/shower with great water pressure and drainage. Only improvements in the bath would be 1) a clock/radio and 2) a reduced lighting choice. Cambridge itself is an easy T ride outside of Boston, with about a 5 minute walk to the T station from the hotel. There is a fabulous ice cream shop--Toscanini's--a block away from the hotel. Don't miss the Belgian chocolate and coconut! Also, we HIGHLY recommend doing the Boston Gliders Segway tour of Boston--great fun for teenagers and parents!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

I arrived at about 2:40 pm and the front desk clerk said, "Guaranteed check-in time is 3 pm - we're still turning over rooms". I checked my luggage and went for a walk around the neighborhood; returned about an hour later. I waited at the front desk for several minutes while the clerk called housekeeping trying to locate a room that was ready. Finally received a key card and went up to my floor to discover a housekeeping cart blocking the door to my room - the maid was still finishing up. Eventually she let me in but still had to take care of little details like replacing something on the minibar. After she left and closed the door, a minute later she knocked and let herself in with her key to come in and punch a code on the phone (I assume indicating she was done with the room).

The room had nice contemporary decor; big flat screen TV, big bed with nice linens and big fluffy pillows. I loved the chaise lounge in the corner. The room did have a very slight smell of smoke even though the hotel is completely non-smoking.

The hotel has free internet but the signal in my room was weak (ranging from 2.0-5.5 mbps).

I liked the location (near Central Square and a subway stop) and there is a supermarket right next door to the htoel, which was convenient to pick up a few snacks.

I thought the breakfast buffet was quite good (wonderful fresh fruit including pineapple and beautiful blackberries) and a good value.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT? Share your experiences!