“If it hadn't change it decor...” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Sidney St, Cambridge, MA 02139   |
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Haven
“If it hadn't change it decor...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed for 2 weekend nights at Le Meridien for 2 reasons; 1st we enjoyed our stay at this hotel before, when it was the Hotel at MIT and 2nd, we generally like the Le Meridien brand and have stayed in several in the US and Europe.
This time we were somewhat disappointed. All the MIT pictures and technical paraphernalia were gone, which gave this place it's charm and connection to MIT. The current decor is modern but not necessarily comfortable.
We arrived by car and there was no staff visible to do the required valet service. While unpacking they appeared. at later times they were not around either. Upon check-in we were given a handicapped access room with a free standing closet in which you cannot hang any clothes properly if you are taller than 5'6" (1.7m). After calling the front desk we were told that many rooms have this feature (?) but we were relocated to a room with a built-in closet. The room itself was spacious, with a comfortable bed, large desk but insufficient outlets for gadgets, a big chaise lounge, not too comfortable and stained, and a bathroom that had all it needed but a toilet too close to the sink.
We had breakfast in the restaurant, which was average. We had peeked in the night before for drinks at the bar but it was near empty and the 2 staff present were too busy talking to each other. The restaurant looks like a modern restaurant in a university dorm, except, these are busier. Each Le Meridien is different, which we like, and often the designers do fabulous things with old building, case in point, the old YMCA in Philadelphia. However, this hotel's design didn't charm us (anymore). It's location, however, may entice us to come back on a next visit to Cambridge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
maryanny143
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm actually pretty shocked how bad this place is. On the surface, it's... pretty. But, wow, I'm pretty sure you'd have a better experience at a local motel.
I got to my room, and the phone didn't work. Fine. I called the front desk, but no answer. Called again. And again. And... again.
I finally got through and told them about my phone; said I got in late and wanted to order room service. They said they would send someone up when they could. So I went to the market next door to get something to hold me over.
When I got back, my door was open - the internal door lock holding it open. Um.... Really? Sure, they fixed the phone, but my laptop was in plain sight.
Overall, the rest was downhill. From screwing up my breakfast order to forgetting to restock my room... it simply was not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy M, Guest Experience Team at Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear, Maryanny143
Thank you for taking the time to address the problems that arose during your stay. I would like to apologize on behalf of our staff at Le Meridien Cambridge for such an unpleasant experience. Im sorry to hear that the staff did not accommodate you for these inconveniences during your stay.
We are working towards a solution to the problems so that issues such as your do not arise in the future. If you do decide to return to the Cambridge area, we encourage you to keep an open mind regarding our hotel. Our Staff would love to make your provide with an enjoyable experience. If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can personally assist you
<sales@lemeridiencambridge.com>
Philomath, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

First let me say that Jose at the front desk is great! Every morning after my run he handed me a bottle of water! Everything else was just so-so or annoying. The AC was so loud it was hard to sleep, but at least it deadened some of the hallway noise that came in through the gap in the door. The housekeeping staff was awful. They completely ignored the Do Not Disturb signs, they threw away things that I did NOT place in trash (just took things off the counters and decided they were trash). They ignored the "do not take my towels or change my linens everyday" sign and despite this, they still didn't actually get the coffee/creamers replaced -- although by the end of the week I had enough shampoo/conditioner bottles to fill a regular sized bottle.

Zug, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've been in this hotel for several nights in two different occasions, as I work for a company based nearby. The hotel is nothing special, with average rooms, rather old batrooms, an extremely noisy air conditioniing, almost impossible to regulate, no special attention to the client. Probably because this hotel is the only one very near to a few companies, the price is otrageous. Next time I will definitely choose an hotel downtown in Boston.

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently had an opportunity to tour Cambridge and MIT recently and I wanted a place to stay nearby. Le Meridien Cambridge fit the bill completely, being a few blocks from MIT. In addition, the hotel is on a quiet street just off Massachusetts Avenue. If you get a room facing the 3rd floor courtyard, like I did, noise will not be an issue.

My 5th floor room was spacious, clean, and well appointed; a nice step or two up from the synthetic polymer rooms of some competitors. The hotel staff was professional, cordial and very helpful on all accounts. If hotel security is an issue, this property will suit. A room key is required to activate the elevators to access any floor, so if you are not a guest you can't gain entry beyond the lobby.

My only criticism is that the food was not particularly good. But the saving grace is that there is a Shaw's grocery store right next door, and all sorts of restaurants and fast food joints within walking distance in Cambridge.

If you are a geek at heart, visit the MIT Museum across the street!

If you need a place central to MIT or Harvard, this is it!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the courtyard.
Bermuda Dunes, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed 5 nights for husbands business trip. Basic no frills hotel. Although on MIT campus, not the best area to wander in. GREAT places to eat nearby and Star market next door for any shopping needs.
The room was small, and the bathroom sink was a joke. Shallow bowl that splashed water on you every time. ??? Had 2 separate calls to housekeeping, and both required a call back and still the wrong items were delivered. ?? English was not their first language, so maybe that was the problem. A/C was SO loud. Horrible. Would not stay here again.
BUT, the in house restaurant was VERY GOOD. The morning buffet breakfast was great for $18.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We took our exchange student to Boston to visit colleges. Le Meridien was perfect for our stay. It was in a very central location to visit multiple schools and attractions. It was close to the public transportation system and restaurants. There is a grocery store next door. The staff was courteous and the rooms were nice and clean. We made jokes about just feeling smarter by staying there and being so close to MIT. I would recommend this to any family or parent who wants to visit MIT or Harvard for a few days. We also jumped on the T and went to the downtown area, to China Town, and to other attractions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT? Share your experiences!