“I am healthier for having stayed in Cambridge B&B” 4 of 5 stars

A Bed & Breakfast in Cambridge
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1657 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I am healthier for having stayed in Cambridge B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

This B&B is located just outside Harvard Unviversity and is conviently located on bus lines and near the subway. The rooms are clean and the beds have high quality mattresses. The place is quite and offers a great sleep. The proprietors are genuenly interesting and know much of the history of the area. They are eat very healthy food and provide homemade bread and granola and fresh pineapple with every breakfast. They also prepare fresh oat waffles with yogurt and strawberrys. I loved the homemade granola and had it every morning. The quarters are small but quaint. The rooms are also small but classy. The only disadvantage is the single shared bath between three rooms. I had to wait in line two of the four days I was there. If you want a healthy stay, this is the place. I'm heathier for having stayed!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

I echo many of the sentiments seen here. I stayed here a few weeks back, and was appalled at the conditions. The linens were incredibly old, the bathroom was tiny, and shared by everyone in the B & B, which includes the proprietor and her husband. I felt unwelcome and stalked during the visit, like every movement was being watched. The walls are in terrible condition as well. I would never stay here.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Quebec city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed at the B & B during a conference. It is well situated, close to the action but not so close that it gets noisy in the street. The rooms are small but charming, the hosts very welcoming and flexible. You'll be welcomed with a cup of tea and good advice on what to visit depending on your interests.
The breakfasts served were good - I particularly recommend the spicy peach jam on home made raisin bread. Hmm hmm.
The only downside was that the universityw was doing some work on the other side of the street while I was there, starting the machinery at 7AM. Nothing my hosts could do about.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

Outstanding service; attentive and amicable staff
Immaculate rooms, bathroom and dining area
Free High-Speed Internet
Free local calls
Free High-protein and fiber breakfast (milk, eggs, juices, strawberries, clementines, bananas, cereals, fresh homemade multigrain and hot bred)
Great reading materials on the nevironment, high tech, governance and human rights
Quiet location
Centrally located within 3 blocks of Harvard Square Subway Station
and ....
The Best value for money

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Cambs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

I stayed for 3 nights in "A B&B in Cambridge" for some tourism after a conference - it was my first time in the USA. The stay was arranged at short notice, and owners Doane & Karen were very understanding about me not having a US credit card.

They are located on a main road close to central Cambridge and the Harvard campus, and only a 5 minute bus or metro ride from downtown Boston and MIT. The B&B occupies the top floor of a large house on the main road - it's not marked! The staff are not around 24/7 (I had to let myself in), but you can always get them on the phone.

The rooms are decorated in a country/period style, and kept clean & tidy to a high standard. The bed was large and comfortable, and the room was nicely warm although it was December and cold outside. The single bathroom is shared between guests, but I never had to wait. The shower/bath facilities are not new, but worked well enough - I'm fussy about water temperature, and managed to get it just right. Breakfast is included, and during my stay included mixed fresh fruits and pancakes/crepes with homemade jam.

The stand-out feature here is the personal service provided by the owners & other live-in staff, who really bent over backwards to help me get the most out of my stay. They offered advice about current art exhibits and secluded local music venues &c, lent me a tourist guide book, did laundry, and bought a plug adapter specially so I could use my phone and laptop. They were also a source of general good banter mornings & evenings.

With a small place like this you won't get the facilities of a big hotel, but for charm and personal touch they are great. The prices are also very reasonable, I paid $109 for a south-facing room with street view in late 2009.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Eastern USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

The other reviews, good and bad, seem to be on target. When I first arrived, I hated the place, with its thrift store curtains, grimy kitchen, and having to share the bathroom with everyone in sight. There was no "afternoon tea" as advertised. However, as time passed, I grew to enjoy its sweet, quaint character. If you've ever been to Paris, you know that "run down" can be charming, and I found this the case with this B&B. During my four-day stay, the owners were at their other hotel, so a Harvard student was the site manager. He was attentive and efficient. The gentleman hired to prepare the breakfast was marvelous. We had some lovely conversations, and he had a genius for preparing food. You could tell he LOVED to cook, and that is so, so rare. However, I thought the room was worth about $80 a night tops, and I was paying $159 or so. I would have stayed somewhere else, but everything seemed to be booked. On the whole, though, I was happy I stayed there.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Afternoon tea (there was none)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

We were supposed to stay seven nights...we could only handle THREE. The mothball smell in our sons' room, urine smell in the hallway, our tiny room, the cluttered mess everywhere, one shared bathroom for everyone, tub tiles peeling from the wall, the porch had no clean chairs to sit in, no sipping sherry, no VACATION. Are b&bs supposed to tidy up your room each day? well, they didn't. For $300+ a night we were paying them, you'd think they would. The discription sounded so great for our vacation. This place was so bad, we were making plans each day, late into the evening, so we woudn't have to go back to our rooms. This b&b almost ruined our vacation. Luckily, we were able to find a hotel with rooms 10 miles out of the city for the remainder ($2100 lighter in the wallet...she said they might reimburse us if they could find other renters...yeah, right). It was worth the money and the hassle to leave. The owners really need to be honest in their description and not cheat good honest folks out of their money. Oh...and those other reviews trying to counter-act the negetive reviews are probably ....never mind.

• Liked — it made me appreciate the nice b&b in Cape Cod
  • Disliked — the overwhelming feeling i was at my grandmothers...but nobody had cleaned for a year.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to A Bed & Breakfast in Cambridge? Share your experiences!