“Hard To Find and Worth The Wait!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 552 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Burlington, Canada
“Hard To Find and Worth The Wait!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had read about The Friendly Toast and their incredible menu which features vegetarian and vegan choices,so on our last morning in Boston we decided to trek over to Cambridge to try breakfast at this fun spot. It takes a bit to find because it's in the very last place you'd expect...the main floor of an office building! Once inside though, any resemblance to business is out the window. The restaurant is full of the very best kitsch and wall to wall people! We did go on President's Day so it may not be quite so crazed on other Monday mornings. We were told it would be approx an hour's wait...it's so entertaining we decided to stay!
The staff is warm, funny and engaged in what they are doing...the food was incredible! Both my daughter and I had the most mouthwateringly wonderful breakfast - best tofu scramble ever, with homebaked toasted bread that I still dream about!
Plan to wait and then plan to be very well fed at this one-of-a-kind place!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Jacksonville, FL
“Interesting Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Like the other reviewrs I appreciated the funky vibe here. We went for brunch, but since we were on vacation, we didn't arrive until 1pm. There was no wait at alll. I got the gingerbread waffels, they were delish, a little over cooked around the edges, but that kept me from over eating anyways. My hubby got the days breakfast special chocolate, orange waffels. He loved them. We also shared an order of sausage patties and homefries. The homefries were a little too spicy for my liking (and i love spicy foods) but, the sausage was really good. I also highly recommend the cramel oolong tea, it has a great flavor. They have a great menu and plenty of vegetarian offerings, even the biscuts and gravy come vegetarian if requested. I wish we had a Friendly Toast in my home town.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Medford, Massachusetts
“Delicious Gingerbread waffles w/ raspberries & fresh cream,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

lots of food choices and good service, if only we hadn't had to wait for almost an hour... So don't go at noon on Sunday unless you want to hang out w/ many many 20 somethings playing w/ their smart phones & catching up w/ their friends.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Keene, New Hampshire
“Yummy Brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Always a great meal at The Friendly Toast! Gigantic pancakes, delicious spicy pan fries, TONS of veggie/healthy side options, and lots of unhealthy ones, too! Check out all the tea selections. Just like the one in Portsmouth, lots of delightful, Hipster kitsch!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Fun, Good Food, but Some Issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

There's a lot to like at the Friendly Toast. The decor is awesome and kitschy. The menu is huge, with a lot of special breakfast pancakes, egg dishes, sandwiches, appetizers, and regular and adult beverages. The food itself is mostly good, with clearly fresh ingredients, great home-made bread, and some unique flavor combos. I've had a few misses here, with things being unevenly prepared during busy times (over-salted fries, slightly burnt stuff). On the whole, though, the food is good. While the prices seem high, the portions are huge. The service can be spotty, sometimes they take care of you, sometimes you have to beg for a refill on the water, and there's occasional surliness. Separately, the tables are cluttered and sticky. Still, it's usually a great meal.

The toughest time to visit is weekend brunch time. I don't think they take reservations. If you can arrive by 10, you shouldn't have to wait too long for a table but the place will still be packed. Going for lunch or dinner is a calmer experience.

My favorite breakfast items are the King Cakes, banana, peanut butter, chocolate chip pancakes with bacon, and the gingerbread waffle with pomegranate molasses and house made whipped cream. My favorite lunch option is the Darn Good Grilled Cheese (with olive-garlic spread and spicy strawberry sauce). They are willing to make alterations to make dishes that fit with your dietary restrictions, so ask!

• Visited February 2013