“Not as Clean as It Should Be” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms
You added Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms to your Saves list
Tremont St at Broadway St, Cambridge, MA 02139   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not as Clean as It Should Be”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was looking forward to staying here. When I arrived at about 7 p.m., the room initially appeared like the maid had been here but had not done a great job. The bed was made up with sheets that seemed a bit too narrow or not properly put on and there were long hairs all over the tub. Later when I got ready for bed, I found what appeared to be a blood stain on the sheets. I tried calling the owner, initially got her voicemail, and she called me back within a half an hour. Since she was out of town, there was not much she could do to fix the situation, except direct me to where I could find some additional sheets in the house to put on the bed. I left a message at the B&B association's main number and called their after hours number but was told that they couldn't do anything for me tonight. I really didn't expect to be changing the sheets given the cost of the room. I am going to be finding a new place to stay in the morning as it is too late tonight to be looking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
BnBBay, Manager at Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are sorry this guest did not feel comfortable in our property. We found the sheet was a faded chocolate stain and should have been thrown away. We recently had guests in which the chocolate melted onto linens. We missed this sheet and have since gone through all our linens. We did not find any hairs in the bathroom. Perhaps they were washed away. Our maid is very conscientious and cleans very well so we were surprised to read about this. We refunded this guest and think she is more comfortable in a hotel setting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were so comfortable in this lovely home. Our room was spacious, quiet, spotless, and beautifully decorated. Plenty of fluffy white towels were provided. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had use of the entire house, and the host, while at home, was not intrusive but did quickly answer our request for slightly more air conditioning (it was 99 degrees in Boston that day!). All in all, we will definitely stay there again when visiting family in the Boston area!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2. Room 3 is larger, but on the 3rd floor so more steps.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We selected the Cambridge Vacation Rental based on the Trip Advisor reviews and the positive feedback from the other visitors. The information from the Bed and Breakfast Associates was helpful, the lock box instructions worked well and the parking instructions were very helpful. The owner, Wendy was very supportive and encouraged us to make ourselves at home. She offered advice and made sure that we did not feel obligated to sit around and make small talk. We had booked room #2 and were very pleased with our choice. The back of the home location made us feel like we had our own private suite. The bed was very comfortable with extra pillows and blankets available. The room had a very nice sitting area next to the window where you could listen to the birds and enjoy a few quiet moments before taking on the busy streets of Boston. There was a convenient desk located under the stained glass window and the internet information was provided. The bathroom was well appointed with lots of towels and face cloths. The walk to the subway station at Central Square was not a problem, even with the snowy sidewalks we were able to make the trip in under seven minutes.

The Whole Foods store had everything food wise that you would need. We were able to stop at the convenience store at the corner of Broadway and Prospect to pick up a six pack of Sam Adams. Cambridge has lots of excellent places to visit. We really enjoyed our time at Lord Hobo's bar and thank Erin for her advice on where to find the best local bar to watch the Patriots game on Sunday. Trina's Starlight Lounge, although a little quirky on the outside and crowded on the inside, was a perfect choice. We met great people, tried some excellent locale ales and really appreciated the extra attention and service from John the bartender.

We had a great vacation and spent New Years in Boston with a million other revelers and were very happy to get back to the quiet of Cambridge. This great community was a perfect choice for us to be able to explore Boston and yet enjoy the feel of a small town. The people were all very helpful, from the young man who helped us buy the Charlie card passes, to the transit officials who gave advice on the trains, to the service support staff who all helped us to have a wonderful holiday. We would certainly recommend this vacation rental to anyone who is interested in a reasonably priced accommodation choice with many options for having a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We liked room #2, very quiet and private. Some people mentioned the step down as an issue, but we d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I were in Boston for a brief 3Day/3Night mini-vacation and were astounded at the cost of hotels. A quick Google search led us to the Boston B&B website, and we began our search. Initially, this location wasn't at the top of our list, as we were looking for a true B&B. But when availability was lacking, we opted for this property due to its relatively accessible location.

We arrived in mid-September, which is a fantastic time of year to visit Boston. The house is about a 5 minute walk from the T station, through a great little neighborhood. Upon arrival at the house, the hostess was home and warmlly greeted us. She explained a little about the house and made us feel exceptionally welcome. We were slightly concerned that our early morning/late night tourist schedule would be inconvenient, but we never got the feeling that we were ever an imposition.

The house is extremely comfortable, and the Room 2 accomodations were more than ample. The house is updated, well maintaind, and very clean. The linens were clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, and we had plenty of room to unpack and leave our belongings secure. The bathroom was slightly smaller than expected, but a large jaccuzzi bathtub made for a relaxing wind-down to exhausting walks through Boston. Be sure to enjoy the second floor balcony, which overlooks the friendly neighborhood. The accomodations include a clothes iron and a hair dryer, but little in the way of toiletries. Quality toilet paper is supplied in the bathroom...a welcome relief to the cheap 1-ply sandpaper stuff most hotels provide. Check the bathroom cabinet for shaving cream, shampoo, or soap, as they aren't listed as provided as one would normally expect in a hotel. There are a couple drug stores very near the T-station for any toiletry needs that you may have. The hostess seemed to be very environmentally conscious, and was not running the AC when we arrived, but offered to turn it on if we needed. But open windows in Boston in September is all that is required, and we spent all three nights very comfortable without having to listen to the AC unit run.

This is a rental house, not a B&B, so be sure to try the numerous restaurants in the area if breakfast will be a consideration. The Lyndell's Bakery on the walk between the house and T-station is a great place for a pastry and coffee in the morning. There is also a Whole Foods Market a few blocks away for more long-term grocery needs.

If we are ever in Boston again, we will certainly place this house at the top of our accommodations list. While Cambridge isn't within quick walking distance to most of the historic tourist locations in the city of Boston, easy access to the T-line puts most every destination within 30 minutes away. Call ahead and schedule a cab if you are more pressed for time. Basic cab fare for two passengers to the city center ranged from $11-$13.50. $15 total fare with tip will put you in the North End area in about 15 minutes in the evening. Both Harvard and MIT are exactly one mile from the house, and are easy walking distance or one T-stop in either direction.

My wife and I highly recommend this house for your stay in Boston.

Room Tip: Room 2 is ample space for a couple that doesn't require a lot of room. My wife and I each packe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was in Cambridge to get my daughter settled in for her first year at MIT. I was in room #3 which was a perfect size for me. Walk-in closet, small seating area to read or watch TV and a great bathroom. It might be a little small for 2 people but worked for me. The location is great. I walked to MIT in about 20 minutes, I was on Mass. Ave in 5 minutes. Never really felt a need for transportation.
I was lucky enought to meet the owner. Truly enjoyed our chats, a very interesting and nice person.
The home was very clean and it was great having use of the downstairs area. I was able to prepare meals when I wanted and having a laundry facility was very convenient.
I would definitely recommend this home and plan on staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lusaka, Zambia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed at Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms, while taking a summer course at Harvard, for one week this july 2012. The house was easy to find and in a nice neighborhood. Be aware that you are truly staying in someone's house and NOT a B&B. There is no one that greets you or sees you off when you leave. In fact you will NEVER see anyone connected to the rental of the house unless there is a problem. My first night I thought I was the only person in the entire house but later found another young man staying in the first room. Later in the week I found that there was another young man staying in the third room in the attic that I had not seen. The owners of the house must have been away, as there was no sight of them.
I stayed in room #2 which was very clean and tastefully decorated. It was a perfect size and had a very comfortable bed and plenty of closet space. There was a large bathroom with plenty of towels and a jacuzzi tub (did not use so not sure how well it worked.) The only problem was that the air conditioning controls for room #2 are located in room #1 and this made it difficult as the temperature was either very warm or very cold and I had no control over it except to knock on the neighbor's door which was a little uncomfortable.
I had full use of the kitchen and living room and I never saw anyone else use it. The Whole Foods as well as a few other small connivence shops are quite close and easy to find. It's no problem to keep your food in the kitchen and cook meals in the house.
The house has a great location with MANY restaurants in walking distance and fun places to sit and have coffee or snacks. I used Yelp to find a different restaurant each night and was never disappointed.
The walk to class each morning on the Harvard campus (close to Harvard Square) was about 1 mile and a straight shot. Never had any need for a car as there was so much to do in walking distance and train was close by as well.
I would certainly stay there again but would probably stay in room #1 so I had control over the temperature or the attic in #3 (although room #2 was the quietest as it's in the back of the house.)

Room Tip: Room #1 is at the top of the stairs so you might hear more traffic from the other two rooms coming a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this location for four nights last week. We were in room number 2 (of 3).

Pros:

For us, a great location for a visit to Boston. We did not drive, but got passes good for 7 days on the subway and buses. Even though we were only there four days, the passes very easily paid for themselves - and it was very convenient to not have to buy tickets every time we used the "T". They were $15 each. It states elsewhere that it's a five-minute walk to the subway. I'm being a tad picky here, but, at a normal walking pace, it's about 8 minutes... which was fine with us.

We always felt safe - both at the house's location and on our walks to and from.

As mentioned in other reviews, the house is very nice... very well maintained.

Despite no breakfast being supplied, the price is extremely reasonable for any convenient location in the Boston area - WAY cheaper than any price I could get on Priceline in a hotel (and I'm very good at finding such deals - but not on this trip!).

*******************************************************************************

Cons:

Another reviewer or two noted that, in room number 2, there is a step down as you enter the room. The platform onto which you step is about a yard square - and it really does intrude into the room. Honestly, one or the other of us stumbled or hit our ankles on it 3 or 4 times within our first 20 minutes in the room! It's really a safety issue and something needs to be done before someone takes a fall and really injures themselves. The solution that worked for us was to actually place a chair right in the middle of it and a wastebasket on the side we were most likely to approach it from...

I was asleep at about 10 PM one evening when the phone in our room rang. It was someone trying to reach the owner... evidently a friend... who said she must be "out of town". It seems to me there should be no chance of being disturbed in our room by a personal call.

AC issue. The first night, especially, was very cool - and I like cool... but it had to be no more than 65 degrees. The problem is that, according to the information left for guests, the AC is controlled by a thermostat within Room #1 - and it's suggested that, if a guest is uncomfortable, they ask the guests in that room to adjust the temperature. For obvious reasons, not an elegant solution.

***********************************************************************

On balance, the plusses were huge and the minuses relatively minor. There's no question I'd recommend this place to a Boston traveler.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
We are so glad this guest enjoyed his stay! Just to address the points he raised:

1) There’s really nothing we can do to eliminate the step down into the room. However, we will look into having a small bannister installed and will also put a note on the door to alert guests of the step.
2) We have no idea why someone would have called the room looking for the owner. We are so sorry you were disturbed. The phone is for guests only and we will check to make sure the number is unpublished.
3) We agree that having the thermostat in one guest room is not ideal. We’ll see if we can have it moved out into the hallway.

We appreciate your feedback and hope you’ll stay here again the next time you visit Boston!

Been to Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms? Share your experiences!