“Drifting” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ten Tables Cambridge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 552 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Concord Ave
Transit: Take the Red Line to Harvard Sq and exit via the Church street exit. Take a right and proceed up Garden St towards the Sheraton Commander Hotel. Continue on Garden St towards the lights after the hotel. Bare left at the lights and continue on to Concord Ave. Take a left at the next set of lights on to Craigie St, we are on the righthand side.
Providence, RI
“Drifting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had a forgettable experience at Ten Tables. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings. The food was mediocre and the wine "pairings" were off. For my "big" meat course I had a sausage. The wine served with this sausage was a deep, robust (and good) red blend wine and did not connect at all. It was as if the chef was a substitute for the evening. The staff were distant and never asked how we liked the food. It felt like production was more important than customer satisfaction and the place was drifting sideways. If you want great tasting, go to providence and visit Nicks or go to the best restaurant in the region and go to Persimmon.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Tucson, Arizona
“For foodies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Place was recommended by some of my fancy, "foodie" friends:

I don't consider myself a foodie, I think its a bit of a pretentious label, and besides, I'll eat about anything with gusto, so decided to check it out: the service was great, the haddock fine, but the Brussels Sprouts were unforgettable. Out of this world, crispy with bacon and hazelnuts. I recommend this spot to anyone visiting Cambridge and is looking for a quiet, tasty and relaxing evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Braintree, Massachusetts
“It was the best of Boston, it was the worst”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Everything I say after this first comment will seem like quibbling: nearly everything we had was very well prepared.

The best aspects of this place were a convivial atmosphere, a thoughtful, locally-sourced, largely organic menu, well-prepared, creatively composed dishes, a great selection of beers and wines, and generally efficient service.

Prior to our meal, we had the whitefish spread which was overly salted. We all had the 4 course Chef's tasting menu. Acc. to our waitress, all of us had to select it for any of us to have it. I find that objectionable. We also had the organic wine pairings ($25 per person). First course, Caesar salad. OK, but overly dressed and not very authentic. Served with an Semillon wine. Second, a fish dish consisting of a grilled fish on a bed of pureed sweet potatoes (I think). For a place priding itself on its environentalism, I was surprised that the fish was endangered swordfish. I requested a change which they accomodated. Several of us thought the fish was slightly over-cooked and it seemed to have been cooked with a lot of oil. Served over nicely fried artisanal cauliflower. Small portion. Wine: a rose. Main course, a stew made with winter veggies including parsnips, carrots. Nicely composed, again--a small portion. Wine: a cheap beaujolais. Palate cleansing sorbet. Dessert: no choice---two of us got creme brulee, two got a chocolate "brownie" with ice cream. Both excellent. Wine: 2 got apple wine, 2 got some other armanac-y kind of fruit wine.
And now for the worst: somewhat expensive given the ordinary ingredients and small portions ($190 for two with what came to about 2 glasses of undistinguished, but good wine), atmosphere was dowdy and in the basement of an apartment building, service was pretty cold and not very well-informed, food was very good, but nothing really soared, kind of a tight seating arrangment. A bit pretentious.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“...but I sat on the 11th!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was a really hot February evening in Boston....ok, not really; the truth is that i could barely keep my feet on the empty snow-laden streets as the wind was blowing with menace, as if he wanted me to get quicker to my destination. I cursed at my allegedly smarter-than-me smartphone, as it kept shouting: "you've reached your destination", though no sign of my....destination. But sometimes you have to look down to find what you're looking for, confirming the long known truth that you can find the most amazing things in the least expected places...music in silence, love in hate and apparently...great food in a basement! Keeping up to my reputation as a "last-minute" person i didn't have a reservation and you can see how this can be a problem when the restaurant has only 10 tables...and then God created The Bar: a cosy little corner on your right as you enter! We sat down side by side (not that there is any other way to sit on a bar...) and took a look in the menu: simple, precise, to the point but most importantly with words i DID know and descriptions I COULD relate to, unlike similar restaurants where you need wikipedia all along your way through the menu...a balanced mix of veggies and meat and that fish you love! The vibe was great, not too noisy, not dead silent but with that buzz of familiarity that makes you wanna keep talking about love and music and wine and moments long forgotten, of course until the food comes, cause then all turns into incoherent mumbling with that intermittent "oh God, that's amaz..." (no time to finish your sentence when you have that steak in front of you). Big ups for their excellent bread (yes, I am European and I can survive solely on bread) and the ultra addictive goat-cheese cake! But you know what's the best about this restaurant? That all people working there are humane and hospitable (ok, i gotta admit i googled the adjective for hospitality, as "hospital" didn't actually sound right...) and when i finished my second glass of that excellent cabernet and my remaining steak was staring me in the eyes, the waiter poured a bit of extra wine (yes, for FREE!) saying: "just a bit to finish your steak"...don't you just love that guy?

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Valentines Delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our valentines gift to ourselves was tickets to see Milos Karadaglic's Celebrity Series guitar concert. We chose Ten Tables because of its proximity to the Pickman Concert Hall, and reputation. Having frequented the Peacock. Cafe Celador, Butterfish and the Craigie Street Bistrot we expected another winner at this location.

We were not disappointed. Being Valentines Day, the menu was a short and sweet prix fixe menu with a select of Swordfish, short ribs, or Kurobuta Pork Porterhouse for two.

My wife started with a Caesar salad consisting of fresh baby Romaine with a side of freshly made Caesar dressing. Unlike the oiling fake dressing many restaurants serve, this was light an creaming with garlic and herbs. I chose the scallops in a baby beet sauce with chive sour cream. The scallops were soft and tender and melted in your mouth along with the sweet beet and tangy sour cream flavors.

For our main course we chose the pork for two. It was served as a porterhouse cut, with the meat removed from the bone and sliced into manageable pieces. In was tender and juicy and served pink. The meat had a slightly roasted flavor that went well with the side of Mission Figs, Maitake Mushrooms, Farro & Red Eye Gravy.

For dessert, my wife had the Artisinal Triple Creme with Sour Cherry Jam, Nuts & Toast. This cheese selection wonderful and a complement to the roasted pork dinner. I ordered the wild flower honey Panna Cotta which was sweet, creamy, with a slight tangy flavor.

The meal was well prepared and delicious. It was not the outstanding menu we expected on Valentines day, as compared to our experience at Deuxave last week for my birthday. Still, it showed Ten Tables to be another success at a location with a history of acclaimed restaurants.

• Visited February 2013