“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Secunda, South Africa
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel is slightly off the main tourist routes but is in a picturesque location, just opposite the Charles River. There are shuttles available, at a low fare, to transport guests to the nearest train station. The rooms are neat, well kept and spacious. Staff are pleasant and on hand to assist with any request. Everyday, there is a small treat for guests-cupcakes, coco, fruit and a permanent coffee station, There is a convenience store just behind the hotel, stocked with goods for any meal or snack. There is a fitness center and pool on the premises which are also well kept and open for most of the day/night. Overall a pleasant stay, most reasonable tariff for decent lodging in an expensive city.

Room Tip: I recommend you request a river facing room. We had a room looking into parking bays which is not as...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Rob R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hello TravelbugZAR, and thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott Boston-Cambridge on your recent trip! I would like to especially thank you for the kind remarks you had for the hotel and our staff in your Trip Advisor review! As General Manager, I am so glad to know that you enjoyed our hotel's picturesque location, available shuttle service, clean/spacious rooms, and pleasant staff. I am also glad you found the complimentary lobby offerings to be to your liking! It was our pleasure to accomodate you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you back to our area. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Darryl and Eduardo are absolutely awesome! They drive the transport van - were super friendly, reliable, and went above and beyond when one of my group needed to go to the hospital. The hotel is older but has been remodeled nicely. The staff inside will do whatever they can for you if you ask and will also go above and beyond to ensure your satisfaction. I had a great trip and would stay here again. Close to plenty of things to do!

Green Features: They would take my towels even if they were hanging.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rob R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello SieLoh, and thank you for posting an amazing review of the Courtyard by Marriott Boston-Cambridge! As General Manager, I am truly glad to see how much you enjoyed our hotel and the services of Eduardo and Darryl our shuttle drivers. We are certainly proud to have them on board as part of our team delivering exceptionally friendly and efficient service. We look forward to the opportunity to accomodate you again should your travels bring you back to the Boston-Cambridge area. Best of luck and safe travels!
Los Alamos, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

From the cupcakes to the hot chocolate and apple on a cold rainy morning....this Courtyard had all the right touches to make our stay exceptional.

The location is along the beautiful Charles River where from our room we could watch the collegiate rowers, runners, and beautiful lights of Boston. The hotel shuttle (for a very nominal fee) would take us to the T at Central Square and also to Harvard Square and the Mall. Extremely efficient --I don't think we had to wait for more than 15 minutes for a shuttle. In addition, there is a Trader Joes next door (great snacks!) a Dunkin Donuts, and Whole Food nearby.

The hotel was excellent. The customer service by the desk staff was exceptional, very attentive and helpful. Joe was our go-to man at the desk during the day and Manager Anthony MComas was extremely helpful and attentive with a specific issue we had. We didn't try the restaurant. There were goodies in the Lobby in the evenings (cupcakes, fruit, cookies), and there seemed to always be something warm to drink (Hot Chocolate, hot apple cider, coffee in the mornings).

The rooms were spotless and housekeeping was great in cleaning our rooms despite our late morning departures.

Overall, this was an excellent Marriott. We are planning another trip out to Boston in the fall and will definitely stay here. The prices were reasonable (considering Boston prices), quality was great, and service was exceptional. We stayed at the Cambridge Marriott when we dropped off our son at Harvard last year, but after staying here we found this will be more efficient next time we drop off. This is a great option for Harvard families.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 12th floor. Based on this, the view was beautiful! King bed had a mini-pullout...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello ScrappingMelinda! As General Manager, I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for staying with us and for posting this fantastic 5-star review! I am truly glad to see how much you enjoyed your room with a view, complimentary snacks and beverages, shuttle service, location, and our staff servce! We look forward to accomodating you and your family the next time you visit Cambridge. Best regards and safe travels!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This hotel is older compared to many other courtyards I have stayed in. I prefer this however, as it gives it more of a luxury hotel feel. They had complimentary cupcakes, hot chocolate and cider in the lobby. The rooms were a good size and updated. Good location near Harvard and MIT.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Good day Jordan G, and thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott-Boston Cambridge! As General Manager I would like to thank you for posting this very positive review of your experience at our hotel. I am truly glad to see how much you enjoyed the complimentary lobby cupcakes, our generously sized guestrooms, and our convenient location. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to the greater Boston-Cambridge area! Best of luck and safe travels to you!
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

It was a well priced large room. The bathroom was spotless. I'm picking it had recently been refurbished. Very very friendly and helpful staff. The beds were comfortable. Free Wi-fi was great and was fast. The mist important fact I would definitely stay here again.

Green Features: They were Organized and responsible. There was signage explaining their processes. I felt there was a genuine commitment.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Rob R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Good day Michelle P, thank you so much for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott Boston-Cambridge and for posting the amazing 5-star review! As General Manager, I am truly glad you were able to enjoy our spacious and clean guestrooms, complimentary wifi, and genuine staff service. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you back to the greater Boston area! Best of luck, be well!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the nicer Courtyard's we've stayed in. Rooms are quiet, and some are quite spacious. Beds are very comfortable, room is well lit and decor is standard Courtyard. Our room had 4 electrical outlets near the desk. If you don't like the standard Courtyard breakfast menu, there is a Starbucks & Dunkin donuts within a 2 min walk and a trader joe's and whole foods slightly further away.

The rooms have two faults which may or may not affect you, depending on the time of year. The rooms have either heat or air-conditioning, but not both (single pipe system). Our room was too hot and there was no way to cool it. In addition, the rooms have an old-style controls and a fan unit near the window rather than a more modern individually controlled forced air system.

The second problem was extremely slow internet speed. The hotel has 'free' standard and 'up to 3x faster' for an additional $5 per day. The free internet speed was 0.05 Mb/sec down and 0.20 Mb/sec up with a latency of 1100ms(!) during peak evening times. Other times it was more like 1/1 with decent 60ms pings. Clearly the hotel has insufficient internet bandwidth which is inexcusable for a hotel next to Harvard and MIT. Forget about getting any work done, or watching a Netflix episode. I ended up using my phone hotspot.

As others have mentioned, they charge $5 for a shuttle (not always available) and $32 for parking. Staff is friendly and responsive, but they can't fix the problems above.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rob R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello Keason S, thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge, and for reviewing your experience on Trip Advisor! As General Manager I am glad to know how much you enjoyed our spacious and clean guestrooms and friendly staff service. I am sorry to hear that the internet performance did not meet your expectations. Please know that while our internet capabilities do meet the requirements of Marriott, we are currently working on upgrading in order to provide an even better guest experience. I understand how important this is and can totally appreciate your feedback. We are very excited about our top to bottom hotel renovation coming up later this year and hope you will decide to return should your travels bring you back to our neighborhood. Thank you again and have a great day!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My son goes to school in Cambridge so I've stayed in a number of different places. Initially I went with the cheapest (nice) place I could get via disount sites. But after a few stays I returned to Marriott, as always. My stays here are as inexpensive as the others but I can alway count on Marriott to offer quality, predictability and a nice stay. This courtyard offers some nice personal touches that I have not seen in others. For instance, they have cupcakes for visitors during afternoons, coffee in the lobby in the morning and hot chocolate or apple cider in the afternoons. How nice is that? Very! I love the availability of lundry facilities for guests. I love the convenience of everything, I love the staff who are so nice and who now greet me by my name and show say "Welcome back". How nice is that? Very. Thanks Courtyard by Marriott for making my stay so nice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rob R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hi Traveledtooandno, thank you so much for the amazing 5 star review of the Courtyard by Marriott Boston-Cambridge! As General Manager, I could not be more glad to hear that we have become your home away from home when you visit your son at school here in Cambridge. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize our staff and the little touches that go a long way in making your experiences with us enjoyable and productive. Thank you again and we look forwad to your next visit. Best of luck and safe travels!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Boston Cambridge? Share your experiences!