“Castel Fawlty” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Castel Gandolfo
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Castel Fawlty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Interesting little hotel. This place has clearly had some some massive investment in the past. It is rare to find a hotel of this size with two pools, one on the roof and one down below. Absolutely stunning views from its numerous terraces, lots of marble, very clean. Room had glorious views over the lake. Bathroom was newly fitted, great shower. Beds were just awful, couldn't get comfortable, they were something out of a hostel. Other bits of the room fell apart, like the patio doors. When i rang reception for morning coffee to be brought to my room, It was suggested that I go to breakfast instead. Eventually I managed to coach them into bringing coffee to the room which was presented summarily like I had asked for something difficult. Breakfast was ok, no hot option. Some staff were really polite and helpful , others were rude. Bar didn't have ice (bizarre). I know its hard to run a hotel and this place had a lot right, but a lot wrong too. We laughed most of it off.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
The Hague
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

I did not like this hotel. It sort of suggests to be an upper class place, and indeed it has nice meeting facilities and is located on a beautiful place near the lake. But I had the tiniest room with a single bed, which was very hot. Had to go back downstairs and demand for the airco remote control, which they will not give you by default (probably to save money). Worn out furniture. The most ridiculous, cheap towels I have ever, ever seen in a hotel. Some other rooms are supposed to be bigger, but if they have the same very basic facilities, please watch out.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Very basic facilities in the room, the ridiculous towels
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dereham, Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

We really liked this hotel and disagree with the other review about the room. We booked directly with the hotel, so maybe we had a different type of room to them. Small, but very clean and comfortable. It doesn't need to be any bigger when all you do is sleep in it! The view from our window was the best ever - right over the lake - beautiful. The old centre of Castel Gandolfo was pretty, with a really nice square where you can sit with a beer and watch the world go by. We even got to see the pope!

• Liked — The view from our bedroom window
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

My girlfriend and I had a pretty miserable experience at this place and I would tell anyone coming to this area to seek alternative acomodations if possible. This was the last place we stayed in Italy before we left, and we got there after a highly stressful time trying to find the place in our rental car. First of all we got there (w/o a reservation) and asked for a standard double. The clerk said they only had a suite available. Now, this may or may not have been the case (the place definitely didn't seem very crowded), but fine, it was getting dark and we were in no position to argue, so I grudgingly forked over the 180 euros. Then the problems started...
We had a ton of luggage with us and we were both stressed out, tired and sweaty from finding this place, but the staff did not even hint at helping us with our luggage to our room. The room itself was large, but the space was completely un-utilized - it had a few pieces of crappy, uncomfortable, fake antique furniture, an enormous, unnecessary armoire-type thing, and incredibly, a mini-bathroom with a tiny, uncomfortable shower. Thoroughly annoyed now, I noticed in the brochure that they had a roof-top pool, and thought that maybe a dip in the pool overlooking the lake (I will grant that the hotel is in a beautiful spot and our room had a gorgeous view of the lake) would save the day. We rushed up there only to find that the pool was closed and it was only like 6 pm - turns out the hours of operation are only during a time that most normal guests are gone from the hotel.
OK, fine, so I need a drink, we went down to the bar where the bartender made me one of the worst-tasting concoctons I have ever tasted in my life. Whatever, we go into town and have dinner, which was fine alth the town is basically nothing at all, with nothing to recomend it except that the pope stays next-door.
The kicker is that we had to get up early the next day (6 am) in order to get the rental car back on time in Rome, so we get up, pack, and go downstairs to checkout. It's 6:45 am and we have to hit the road, breakfast technically starts at 7 am, but all the food is laid out so I figure we can grab a roll and a croissant to go, but to my utter astonishment, the desk clerk flat-out refuses to let us take any food, even though it is literally only 15 minutels before the start of breakfast. The final words I spoke to the clerk, and I think it sums up the hotel, were, "So you're telling me that I paid 180 euros and I can't even take a couple of buns for the road?" He didn't have much to say to that, but as you can see I have plenty to say aout this place, and mostly bad.
Botton line - way too expensive for the -- service and poor amenities the place offers. I wouldn't mind that from a a cheap place but from a supposed 4-star hotel thats not even in Rome, and at 180 euros per night, it's inexcusable. I will admit that it was in a pretty location and some of the staff was friendly, but if you expect any kind of value for your money, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Castelvecchio? Share your experiences!