“Missed opportunity” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa degli Angeli

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa degli Angeli to your Saves list
Hotel Villa degli Angeli
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Spiaggia del Lago, 32, 00040 Castel Gandolfo, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Castel Gandolfo
Adelaide, Australia
“Missed opportunity”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

What a stunning location, with views over the lake. Truly beautiful and peaceful. However, there is a lack of interest from the staff in caring for their guests. Every request - such as a beer at the bar, or breakfast in the morning seemed to be too hard, and made me feel uncomfortable. The room was fine although very Spartan - quite large with no real decoration and only an average bed. Bathroom again large, but run down. Water pressure low, and the hot water was lukewarm. I was asked to sit on an already used table for breakfast, so the staff wouldn't have to change the tablecloth. Couldn't find staff for a 2nd coffee so waited until I was elsewhere and gave my money to an cafe that wanted it.
Everything is in place for this to be a good hotel, but at the moment with this management team, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We booked the hotel online & was hoping it would be what we expected. Well, it was everything we wanted & more. The staff treated us as though we were family, and accommodated all our needs, the view of the lake was breath taking.The breakfast was delicious and even served bacon & eggs, something rare for Italy.l
We will definitely return next year, and bring our family! We give it an A plus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

A group of us stayed in a villa approx 40 mins south of Gandolfo but after staying there for 3 nights we decided to move else where.

we booked Angeli via booking.com and arrived an hour later. On arrival we were impressed by the helpfulness of the girl behind the counter, so welcoming.

Admittedly, the hotel may need a lick of paint, it's a bit dated, bit tired, but the view from the lake side balconies is one of the best I've seen, unbelievable view especially for the cost, we paid €120 a night at peak time in August.

The pool area is ok, good enough for a hotel this size but as previously mentioned, could do with a bit of a tidy up and modernising etc.

We didn't try the food in the hotel so can't comment on this although you can have dinner on your balcony with the waiter bring and taking your food to your room with quite a pricely €25 surcharge.

There are some great restaurants in the area, reasonably priced and great quality. We visited Quintessa a couple of times, great food and cocktails, if you want to visit with large groups then you will definitely need to book the restaurant.

The hotel offers a free transfer to the train station if you fancy a visit into Rome.

The breakfast in the hotel was pretty good, very fresh fruit salads, plenty of various pastries and the usual sprea expected in hotels.

Overall, for a last minute option we feel we hit the jackpot, everyone had a great time, enjoyed our stay and if the situation arose would definitely stay again.

Again, if I'm being picky, the only downside was that the hotel needs dragging into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room, stunning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at Rome Ciampino airport and the people looking after the helicopter I was taking up country booked it for me and told me it was a beautiful hotel and they had got me a special rate of 140 euros. I was expecting something nice!
Picked up from the airport by hotel minibus - good. Complimentary drink on arrival - good.
Got given a lake facing room that was fine. Decided to take a bath but no plug in the bath - they couldn't come up with a plug so moved all my gear to another room - yep, no plug. Moved again and got a tiny bath but it had a plug.
Went down to eat - only person there. Asked for spaghetti with cheese and peppers - no peppers. Then asked for steak medium-well. It was dripping blood when it came out. Sent it back. Came back out and proved to be the fattiest piece of meat I had ever seen. Ended up not eating any of it - they didn't charge me for that course.
Next morning very luke warm water only - too cold to take a shower. Went down to breakfast - not good. You get the idea.
Staff didn't seem particularly apologetic about 140 euro room with no hot water (it was okay the night before, maybe I used it all up in my bath)
I complained and they gave me the room for 115 euros - still too expensive. I think the people who arranged the room for me were getting a cut!

• Stayed January 2013
Los Lunas, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at Villa degli Angeli for at least eight years on business trips and holiday travel. Antonio, his father, Simone the entire reception, restaurant, and house keeping staff are accommodating, helpful and friendly. Dinner with a great view of Lago Albano is served at a slow pace but I don't go there for fast food. In fact everything is at a much slower pace than staying in Rome which is one of the attractions of this hotel. For business at near by Ciampino airport or to slow down after visiting Rome I recommend Villa degli Angeli.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a disappointment! looking forward to a quiet, peaceful evening after a busy week in italy, this hotel failed to live up to the standards promised:

Advertised as having shuttle service from Castelgandolfo station and to Ciampino airport: when we enquired re airport shuttle we were told they didn't go that far but would organise a taxi for us. As we were looking forward to an enjoyable stay, airport was only 10km away and we did not envisage an expensive taxi, we did not argue the point! We were given our room, last one on a corridor in which workmen were busy renovating neighbouring rooms: they were hammering away at 9.45pm until I complained to the builder. The smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming as doors were left open. Our room was very small, overlooked a yard and our specifications on booking were ignored! Our room had obviously been a smoking one (ashtray present and smell of smoke) and single bed preference not respected. The hotel seems to be a hub for airline crew as we witnessed two shuttle trips to airport during that evening. Obviously some guests did receive service as advertised! Dinner was ok, if pricey. The following morning, taxi duly arrived, driver went into reception to talk to receptionist, took us to airport - a 15 min, 10 km drive, where he then tried to scam us: meter stated 40 euros, which I refused to pay as it was on 22 before we left the hotel. Driver then said no, the charge was 35 euros as agreed with his "colleague!" - when questioned, he admitted his colleague was the hotel - nice scam going on! I sent him packing, in fluent Italian, with 20 euros which he sheepishly accepted! I am so angry at this end to a wonderful stay in Italy - where some people feel the need to "do" guests! Last point - having travelled extensively, I would query the 4 star status of this hotel: I have never seen one which offers a hand/shower pump soap rather than individual products - very cheap!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Diepenbeek, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Wonderful location. Right across the summer residence of the Pope with a magnificant view over Lake Albano. The room is basic, but OK. The restaurant is superb. Yes you have to wait long before you get your food, but enjoy the view ! The menu is OK, but not always for children. Don't hesitate to ask the waiters for alternatives of make your own suggestions. The kitchen makes you whatever you want (if they have it of course). There is no pizza on the menu, but we could eat Pizza by the pool for lunch. We went to order it downstairs. Breakfast was well organised and plenty of choise in bread, toast, fruit, eggs, bacon, meat, cheese, cake, etc.
We first went for 6 days to the city centre of Rome and came by train to Castel Gandolfo. An experience ! : a very old train brings you trough the surrounding area from Rome. The people from the hotel came to pick us up from the (mini) trainstation after a phonecall from us. After 6 days in busy Rome, Castel Gandolfo is a real treat. So quiet, grand views over the lake, the people are more gentle here than in Rome.
The only negative we can tell about this hotel that there is noting to do in the neighbourhood. We went for a walk by the lakeside. You first have to walk half a mile on the road. No sidewalk ! Then you come in a nice area with beaches and restaurants, but not very clean. The trachcans are full and it smells bad. There is trach everywere in the streets and on the beaches. It is too far to walk to Castel Gandolfo town centre. But when you ask the people from the hotel, they drive you there and they pick you up again after your visit.
The pool is superb. You have the pool almost to yourselfs. It is nog very big, but more than big enough to enjoy a swim and to be refressing. The view from the pool is sooooo beautiful.
At the end I want to say something about the weddings : we were lucky and had just 1 party in the 4 nights we stayed here. We had the same table in the restaurant, just as the other evenings. The party was loud, but sounded like fun. BUt I can imagine if you have a party every night, its no fun at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Villa degli Angeli? Share your experiences!