“Can't Complain” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Saudarkrokur B&B and Inns
Redwood City, California
“Can't Complain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Very good guesthouse. The reception is at a hotel nearby. I had a room with a shared bathroom. All of the guests were pretty quiet, so that was a plus. I'd recommend.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Clean, safe, well attended. The proprietor Selma, was there with breakfast, and her daughter welcomed us. The house was full, but not crowded. Other descriptions of "dirty" were not supported by my visit.

Local photos, nice folks, and typically quaintly sized guesthouse rooms were well appointed, and cozy.

We had a great stay!

Room Tip: Call and ask!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

The other review mentions no regular staff, which was true for us as well, but we also found that to be true in other guesthouses around Iceland. The room was somewhat cramped with our luggage, but it was relatively clean.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Hotel Mikligardur is located in Saudarkokur, northern Iceland. We had a triple room - 3 beds. It was a long, skinny room and very cramped, with cubby holes like a dormitory where you put your stuff. There was a nasty smell in the room - somewhere between old crayons and body odor - I could not figure out where the smell was coming from. The breakfast was decent with fresh fruit (watermelon, pears, bananas) plus the usual meats and cheeses. We ate dinner at the Hard Wok cafe - interesting to eat Asian food in northern Iceland but it worked for me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Saudarkrokur hotels

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed at this really nice Hotel during my round trip of Iceland, with a private guide.. The hotel is situated at Sauðarkrokur on Skagafjaóur. The Skagafjaóur area is the place famous for the Icelandic Horse. a truly elegant and majestic creature. We did see some mares during the day's drive here. However, they all had foals, and as we approached, the mares led the foals away.

The Hotel Mikligarður, (and not to be confused with Mikligaróur Guesthouse) is a summer hotel only, and is available between June and August. Travellers should enquire as to the exact dates of opening. Outside of these dates it is used for "student accomodations only.

The rooms are large and the bathrooms excellent. The complex is fairly big and on several levels. My room was on the bottom and had a great view of the surrounding area. Young people were cutting grass and cleaning up the grounds. I did observe young people doing this all over Iceland. However I did not enquire from my private guide as to whether they were paid for this service.

Breakfast was included and was excellent. The food plentifull and consisted of a good variety of options. Dinner was not available here, but with the size of the Hotel I thought it should be. I would go so far and say " that during summer months particularly when it is used as a Hotel, that maybe this should be considerded by the Management." Guests either need to have their own supplies or eat in the restaurants in the town.
My guide and I did this in a lovely little restaurant, and I was not disappointed in any way. I urge everyone to try the Rhubard Cake. Apparently it's a national dish, and is delicious. I tasted it several times, just to be sure

The area surrounding the Hotel is very beautiful. "Grettirs" Pool is a short drive. Grettir is one of the more colourfull characters of the Saga Era, and Times. He was "Outlawed" for life for his missdeeds and crimes, spending his time on the Island of Drangey. It is referred to to as "Grettirs Island or place" and is situated across the Fjord. On a clear day, it is well visible to the naked eye. Apparently Grettir would make the swim across the Fjord to bathe in the "hot pool"
I understand the Island of Drangey, can reached if desired, but that the climb is steep, and difficult. Those wishing to do this should enquire about its accessibility.

Grettirs Pool however is accessible. There is a camping area here, and a "breakwater" has been erected. An additional pool has also been added. The area is geothermal.
To me, these are not improvements. It is my opinion, the area has been spoiled, and should have been left, by maintaining the "historica aspects" and without modern day interventions. But I am not Icelandic, so possibly enterprise has been permitted to get in the way..

My Guide told me a story about Drangey. He mentioned that in the "old days" there were many accidents causing deaths. The Bishop of the day was asked to go and bless the high cliffs of the Island. He attempted to do this but as he travelled around making the "blessings" which were supposed to protect, a "hand" would come out of the rock and grab his. Perhaps in fear or whatever his thoughts at the time he decided to cease the blessings, indicating, there should be a place for the "bad ones"
( I am of course unsure how much this story should be trusted - perhaps it should be taken with a "grain of salt" But Árni, told it to me in great earnest, and with a smile, so I believed him!

I do thoroughly recommend this Hotel complex to anyone travelling in this beautiful area. However I can not comment on its value, due to it being booked for me as part of a whole package. My suggestion - "try it"

Room Tip: Because of the lack of Dinner facilities, I gave this hotel a 4 rating, however it deserves a 5.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

When we arrived at this guesthouse we had to ring someone as the reception was closed (at 3pm). A quiet nice guy arrived and showed us around the house, which seemed to be fine at this point.
There was a kitchen for all guests and the bathrooms were shared as usual.
He showed us the room and it seemed to be ok.

Anyways, the room we got in this guesthouse was in general ok but it was quiet dirty. There were dead flies on the window and the room hadn't been dusted in ages. There was no cupboard for our clothes, only a few hangers. We wanted to put something on top of the hangers and realized that it was covered in dust and this dust must have been there for quiet a while.

Since there was a kitchen for all guests to use, we decided to cook something for us. When cooking we realized that the kitchen was filthy.
I wanted to take a glass out of a cupboard and it was stuck due to the dirtyness. When opening the drawers there were a lot of staines and leftovers from food which wasn't very nice.
Opening the fridge we saw some food in it which didn't look ok anymore but we didn't really mind until the next morning when we saw that this food was served for breakfast.
The bathroom wasn't cleaned either and the shower cover was broken, which was quiet hazardous.

When we left the guesthouse the "reception" was unattended and we had to leave the key on the desk as no one would look after us.

We can not really recommend this guesthouse to others unless it has been cleaned.

This guesthouse does have a lot of potential but it does need some serious cleaning on a constant basis.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We ( a family of two adults and two children 6 and 7) reserved our stay at guesthouse Mikligarður that reads like a lovely guesthouse with personality run by two young icelandic girls... they confirmed the accommodation. After waiting at the rather smelly hallway in a quite unattractive and bland "historic" house we were directed without explanation to go to "the hotel". The hotel is a summer hotel or a student dormitory run by students that becomes a "hotel" in summer. It was quite overpriced for the experience and rather bland. we ended in a labyrinth of hallways and ancient elevators. Room had strangely positioned windows and felt like basement. I must add that their breakfast was quite bland and they did not bother to check if milk cartons are full. the whole experience is resembling one of my hotel nightmares... in short.
In summary I would say avoid this establishment, it is just a souless dormitory in a small town...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Mikligardur Guesthouse? Share your experiences!