“A first class restaurant in such a small town.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Hella
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Arhus is located along the Ranga River, 100 km east of Reykjavik on the Ring road, Route 1. It is set in idyllic fields on the banks of the river. The restaurant serves a rich variety of local plates and global favourites. We also have a fully-stocked bar and a terrace overlooking the river, perfect for relaxing on a sunny evening.
Brisbane, Australia
“A first class restaurant in such a small town.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The reviews I‘ve read are absolutely accurate. Great food. Incidentally, this restaurant was top of the list on the tour guide’s recommendations, too.
Some dishes might be a little expensive - maybe not by Icelandic prices -,but there are some which are reasonably priced, too. Before I went to lunch here, I’d been to the local bakery and was considering buying enough for lunch. I totalled the cost and then decided to walk to Arhus instead. The result was that I had a really outstanding - instead of ordinary - lunch for not much more cost
The young chap who waited on the table was really interesting - polite, and very impressive really. I commented that their special seafood soup today, with its fish, shrimp, prawns and scallops reminded me of a really outstanding seafood bisque I’d had at the Rennaissance Hotel, Zurich some years back and today's dish was almost as good. The young chap immediately wanted to know why the Zurich experience was better than what I’d eaten today. That really impressed me that while I told him Arhus's food was excellent, there was still a hint that somewhere else was better and he wanted to know how they could improve. With such a positive attitude to the food they provide, no wonder this restaurant is receiving really good reviews - and so they should. It’s well deserved.
I told him what while I’m in Hella I will come back to try another of the dishes on the menu which attracted my attention.
The river view is great. A pair of binoculars were on the window ledge next to my table and, while waiting - although not too long for the food - they proved useful as a lot of birds were about. On a less windy day, if I was a local and didn't feel the cold as much, it would be nice to sit outside at tables provided.
Who would have thought in such a small town like Hella (population 550 according to information given to me) one would find a restaurant of this standard. Four and a half stars.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great Food in a very small town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

There is not much in the tiny town of Hella. But Arhus is a wonderful place to eat. This is my 3rd trip to Iceland and I always eat at Arhus. Highly recommended.

“Great food, especially the horse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

From the restaurant there is a nice river view. The staff gave us excellent service. The food we had was very well prepared and tasty. I had their famous horse-steak supplemented with a lobster tail - very delicious! Good value for money.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Worst service ever! ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Had to wait more than hour for food and i went after the drinks myself after 20 min, had 3 children with pasta and main was soup and pasta for me and my husband.
When i told the waitress i was seated 10 minuits before the next table and they got their food before us she started talking back and telling us that they orderd starters,ok, But when they'r maincourses came and we where STILL waiting we had enough and payd our drinks and went out!!!!
I talked to the owner but what I got was rudness and intolliration for custemers that are complaining!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Exceeded all expectations!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stopped here for dinner when staying in Hella. We did not expect much from this small area or when we walked in and saw what it looked like, but it exceeded all expectations! I had a delicious chicken dish with local ingredients and perfectly prepared chicken. It was a wonderful surprise and I would certainly return if I am in this area again.

Visited July 2014