Sparten facilities and nothing to do except for your 1/2 day visit to Blue Lagoon (5 mins. away in hotel courtesy bus). So one night stay is maximum I would recommend for final day/night. Breakfast and dinner were poor - very little choice and expensive and nothing like those illustrated on the website. Hotel main rooms cold (March) but bedroom excellent apart from a few bathroom fittings not installed. (Loo roll holder, shower soap tray.)
When we arrived I thought the hotel was the office for the thermal power station, which is adjacent.
Stay was not helped by the blizzard which closed the Lagoon and marooned the guests overnight, but this emphasized that there is simply nothing else to do - especially if you don't have a hire car. The nearest 'civilisation' is about an hour away.
That said, the hotel runs you to the lagoon and airport when you want and would have taken us to the Grindavik fishing village (but for the blizzard).
Book if for your last night and go to the Lagoon in the afternoon before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Northern Light Inn - a wonderful place to see the Aurora Borealis, discover Iceland, and enjoy your getaway vacation. 32 Geo-thermally heated rooms, delicious food, a panoramic restaurant, cozy fireplace, free wifi, and family hospitality await you. We're 20 minutes from Keflavik International Airport KEF, 45 from Reykjavik, 3 hours from London, and less than 6 from New York. We offer complimentary scheduled International Airport transfers (a surcharge if the transfer is between 23:00 and 05:00) and free shuttles to the Blue Lagoon - NLI is the only hotel nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Northern Light Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northern Light Hotel Grindavik
- Northern Light Grindavik
- Northern Light Inn Iceland/Grindavik