“Great fun” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 Attractions in Grindavik
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer ATV and buggy tours around Reykjanes peninsula from 1-hour tour to full day tours.
Bangkok, Thailand
17 attraction reviews
“Great fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I took the 2 hour tour with my wife, but there were 4 people on the tour altogether including a young Irish couple who'd been picked up from the Blue Lagoon (returned at the end of the tour). The guide, Issac, was friendly and spoke excellent english.
The tour took in the lava fields and beaches around Grindavik, plus up and down one of the local "mountains" for an excellent view of Grindavik and the Blue Langoon.
The quad bikes are easy to ride, automatic gears and the throttle is activated with your right thumb, which I found easy but my wife complained about the strain towards the end of the tour.
The route taken covered a variety of terrain, some of which was vary bumpy and some requiring 4-wheel drive. The guide progressed as a reasonable pace, stopping regularly to ensure that everyone was OK, and with a couple of longer breaks to give peoples thumbs a rest.
The total tour actually took about 2.5 hours.
It was great fun, with some fantastic views and I strongly recommend this as an excellent way to spend half a day and see some more remote areas of Iceland.

Bergen, Norway
4 attraction reviews
“Fun, but bumpy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Took a 2hr trip with my oldest daughter, but I think I had more fun then she did, since she was riding on the back of my ATV.. :-)

ATV where good, CanAm 400, seemed in good condition and looked as they knew what maintenance was, as opposite to other companies I have tried out..

The 2hr tour was just long enough, we could might have stopped a few more places, but the bike riding was fun.

The guide was informative when we stopped and talked, and he did make sure the last bike always followed us.

The trip took us from the beach, along narrow paths, up to some small peaks with a view over The Blue lagoon and Grindavik, and down again to the beach. I believe we had rather good average speed, so the distance we travelled over those two hours must have been close to 50-60km...?

Taunton, Massachusetts
“Best tour we took in Iceland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We went on the volcanic safari, booked through the Gray line tours as ah86 on our honey moon in September.  It was by far the best tour we did while in Iceland, and while it was a bit pricier than others, it was well worth it.  We had no previous experience driving a quad before, but our guide gave us a quick lesson and slowly increased the pace and difficulty as I was getting the hang of things, which was great.  The tour lasted over six hours, and we drove 120 miles, so be sure to rest up the night before.  We took a shuttle to the blue lagoon where we were picked up in a truck and brought to the base, suited up in a snow suit and waterproof coveralls.  We were glad for the outfits as they kept us warm and dry through the misty and drizzly day.  Starting out, we drove towards the water and toured around a bit of a test track where old boats had been thrown up onto the lava field during storms years ago.  It was really cool to see the shipwrecks and coast line.  From there we drove both on road and off road around more fields and hilly areas, and I was getting used to controlling the quad.  The environment was like another planet, I felt like I was in a video game driving a quad around on mars!  The first stop was asking some cliffs and our guide had a thermos of hot chocolate and some snacks for us.  We were able to climb up to a higher cliff for some pictures, and could see some islands and boasts of the coast.  In that area there was also a light house and we stopped at a steaming hot spring area.  From there we drove around on more off road trails, and saw parts of one of the geothermal plants, another cool area.  We ended up on a beach of black volcanic sand and got some pictures before blasting through the dunes and coming out to the line between the two tectonic plates!  It was an amazing and powerful spot, and we were looking up at the towering cliffs on both sides of the line imagining that they could move at any time with enough force to move a continent.  We took some trails to avoid the busses of tourists that were showing up to a similar spot.  Being on the quads, or guide took us to the best parts of the attractions, not just where the bus stops were, which was great because we were alone and get much better views and a more personal experience.  Heading back toward the town, we stopped at a small cafe for a lunch that was included in the tour.  We had hot lobster stew, bread, and pie for dessert.  After lunch we headed back out and explored some more mountainous areas including some amazing valleys and trails with sheep and horses along the way.  The best memory of the trip was when we stopped to look at some horses.  They came right up the fence and wanted to be petted.  It was a magical moment when a young one buried his head under my arm and nuzzled, wanting to be scratched!  We will remember that as one of the best parts of our honeymoon.  Three remainder of the tour was more trails and road driving that got progressively better as I was getting better at driving the quad and the guide stepped up the pace.  We saw more springs and beaches, and climbed a steep hill with an awesome view; we even got to drive through a tunnel under the main road.  We highly recommend this tour to anyone that can drive a quad.  It was a long tour but amazing and worth it!  Our guide was the best and the other employees we meet were friendly and helpful as well.  A++

Visited September 2013
“Quad bike adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We loved our experience of the quad bike tour to celebrate my partners 30th birthday.
We had a great tour the scenery was amazing and our tour guide Isaac was great very informative with knowledge of our surroundings as well as a good laugh. I would definitely recommend using ATV adventures Iceland!

Winterthur
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Fantastic service, fast quads and competent guides. The rout is leads through diffrent landscapes like ocean and hills and most of the it isn`t on asphalt, so alot of action. I can only recomend this company.

Visited September 2013