“Better Than Expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Saint Joseph, Illinois
“Better Than Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

My stay at Holiday Express was fine. The room was as clean as others in this price range. The front desk staff was professional. They have free internet, free breakfast, and free popcorn and apples in the lobby.

I do not have anything exceptional to report (good or bad). I wanted to post because I had to stay at this hotel to attend a meeting, and when I went on Trip Advisor to read the reviews, I was a little afraid. I voiced my concern to the front desk via a phone call, and they told me that they would have my room double inspected before I arrived. I don’t know if this made a difference or not—but my room was what you would typically expect from a mid-range hotel. (For example, the towels are showing wear, but no obvious stains. The desk top appeared clean, but there was a bit of fingernail polish on it. The bathroom was small, but clean…)

Anyway, I would not be concerned about having stay at this hotel again, and I am very picky. I think this hotel is competitive with others in its price range.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
dkrager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Thank you so much for staying with us!! Your comments and business are greatly appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Imperial, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Staff is one of the friendliest and most helpful I've ever encountered. If they see you once, they probably know your name. I've stayed in no less than 4 other local hotels and this beats all of them hands down.
Rooms are very clean and nice, it looked like new carpet had just been installed throughout the hotel. There is an indoor pool and gym available.
Hotel is perfectly located, as it sits right off the interstate highway allowing you to get anywhere in town within 5 minutes.
The hotel is also just a couple of hundred feet from no less than six nice restaurants.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the great compliments! We always try to go the extra mile and treat all of our guests with excellent service.
Chicago area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I was surprised by all the negative reviews of this place. Obviously it's not a five star hotel, but for the price and location it's a great deal. I've stayed here several times for work and have never had a bad experience. The rooms are tidy, bathrooms are spacious and updated, and staff have always been friendly. Plus they have a great continental breakfast. Most places just have donuts, some tiny boxes of cereal, milk, and coffee. HIX has all this plus yogurt, juice, fresh fruit, bagels, bread, and several hot items like eggs, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, etc. Oh, and the bed was very comfortable and even though I was near the lobby I was not bothered by noise from the hallway - I got a great night's sleep the entire time I was there. And the free wireless was fast and easy to connect to - great for staying in touch with my office.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to a write a review for our property. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and I appreciate your business. Hope to see you again soon!
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Not a very nice place - in fact, one of the worst, if not the worst, HIX I've encountered.

The main problem with this room was cleanliness. I'm not talking about food on the floor or dust on the dresser. I am talking about the most filthy air exchanger I have ever seen. The photos of it look like alien beings.

We arrived late after a ten hour car trip and basically fell into bed. When we woke up in the morning, both of our throats were sore, and we were both coughing terribly. The air exchanger was in the wall directly above the bed and daylight inspection showed that it was absolutely grungy and filthy!!

The front desk told us that they had planned on cleaning it that day. I have news for them. It was way long overdue! Management offered no other explanation or apology.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
dkrager, GM at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused the guest. We are constantly inspecting rooms for cleanliness and maintenance issues to make sure all guests are satisfied and comfortable. Our air filters are designed to help with filtrating dust in the room and we do have a routine maintenance schedule to replace these.
U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I am assuming this hotel will take care of this problem, but as of this moment, I don't know for sure. We had to stay here on Sunday night due to a snow storm which made traveling on the highway treacherous. We stayed one night. Today, I got a call from my credit card company with a fraud alert. We were charged $110 for Sunday (the night we stayed here) and another $120 for Monday (we did not stay on Monday).

The hotel was only adequate. We paid a lot less the night before for a much more luxurious and comfortable room in Lake Forest, IL (a Hilton Gardens--with plush towels, excellent bedding, new decor, mircrowave, etc.) The Holiday Express had an ok room, dingy towels, and adequate bedding. The worse thing was the noisy doors. Every time anyone opened or closed a door, it sounded like thunder. The doors were poorly designed. And the soda and ice machines are right out in the hall, immediately across from guest rooms, with no enclosure around them to deaden the noise. Isn't the whole point to get some sleep? The free breakfast was ok -- styrofoam coffee cups and plates notwithstanding. (Not only do they feel awful in the hand, but there is no product worse for the environment.) Next time we get stuck in Springfield, we'll try the Hilton next door.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
We have had not had any credit card fraud at our establishment. Our hotel has very strict standards of procedure when it comes to personal information and credit cards.
Champaign, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

The whole entire place smells.... like old smoke. I had to get moved to a different room. The second room was better, but I would not choose this hotel again. The service was just okay. For the price I am sure there are cleaner nicer hotels. This one needs to be upgraded.. The tvs are small and old too.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
dkrager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
The Holiday Inn Express Springfield has recently installed new carpet throughout the hotel in all guest rooms and corridors. We offer several amenities such as free internet, free breakfast and room service. You can also utilize all the facilities at the Crowne Plaza during your stay at the Holiday Inn Express.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

This is not a very nice hotel for the price. I have paid less money for very clean and modern hotels. The room smelled old and stale, and was not very clean. My door would not shut without slamming it. There were bits of food on the carpet.

The bathroom did seem clean, and the bed was tolerable- nothing like some of the beds I have slept at recently at some of the newer chains.

The toiletries were the cheapest I have ever seen. There was a coffee pot, but no cream or sugar in the room.

They have a fairly decent lobby and breakfast, but when I went to use the bathroom in the lobby, there was a critter, and I am fairly sure it was a cockroach on the door handle.
That was it for me.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Springfield? Share your experiences!