“Nice Hotel - A Few "Distractions"” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Springfield
Greenwood, Indiana
“Nice Hotel - A Few "Distractions"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza as part of a reunion of sailors from a carrier I served on 50 years ago. Parking was free and spacious. Reception was on the second floor, which was a little unusual - the first floor had a desk which may at one time have been a reception desk but now served as a convention check in desk (I got the impression the hotel hosts a lot of conventions and trade shows).
Check in was smooth and painless. We went to our room on the 11th floor and were impressed by the size and elegance of the room. The bath was as large as I think I've had in any hotel and was well equipped with the expected appurtenances - shampoo, soaps, lotions, etc.
On the bed was an aroma pack for relaxation! Nice touch!
The bed was very comfy - a must for me to enjoy a hotel. The flat screen TV was large but in honesty, we never lit it off! No microwave oven , but there was a mini refrigerator.
The banquet facility was excellent and the food at the banquet was wonderful!
So why not five stars? Little things -
everything we put in the mini-refrigerator was frozen next day;
the floor of the bathtub became slippery if you had soapy feet;
the handle on the single control vanity faucet was installed about 160 degrees off (not quite upside down);
I entered the men's room on the main floor and it was pretty well trashed;
at the banquet I asked our server very early to bring coffee since I knew we had to leave early and drive to Indy that night - we never got our coffee before we left.
You expect a hotel at the level of the Crowne Plaza to have everything covered with no warts or flaws, so when you encounter them, even though they are small, they are a distraction.
It's a shame too, because everything else was stellar!

Room Tip: We asked to be away from the interstate and were put in a room on the North side very high up. We we...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate our guests that take the time to provide a detailed review. Our hotel has so much to offer, and it is very kind of you to take a moment to highlight some of those traits. As nice as it is to read the positive feedback, the negative can go a long way as it assists us in identifying areas we can improve upon. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Springfield on business. We stayed here as the conference was held here. It has spacious rooms and very clean. The staff are so helpful and pleasant. Breakfasts were great and the staff at the breakfasts were the best in the world. Unfortunately I lost my camera there but otherwise I had a great stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the 5 star review!! We are pleased to read you had a great experience during your stay with us. I will be happy to share your review with the hotel. Our team works very hard to ensure a positive experience for our guests, and it is truly rewarding to be able to share this type of review. Also, please take a moment to reach out to the hotel. We have a lost and found department that may have your lost camera. We would be happy to ship it to you if that is the case. Thank you again for the great review!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night while attending memorial services in Springfield. From the time that I made the reservation, up until I left, I found the staff that I interacted with to be quite friendly and accommodating. I was part of a larger group and the woman who took the reservation asked all of the right questions and put me into a nice non-smoking room with a king. When we checked in, the clerk at the reception desk was equally as nice. This is the second trip that I have stayed at this hotel, and I found it every bit as good as the first time. Although the Internet is not just one or two clicks to get to it, it worked fine and was a secure network. There was no charge, as I was a Priority Club member. As we had a number of activities, we did not eat at the hotel. I would certainly return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am pleased to read our staff took such good care of you during your reservation and check in process. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback; we hope to be able to assist you with a reservation in the near future. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza when you travel to Springfield.
Woodstock, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I previously reviewed this hotel and was not very pleased. I am traveling again to the area next month and was going to give them a 2nd chance. Unfortunately upon calling the front desk and even speaking to the manager, a friend who is coming in to town to meet me was told, essentially, that the hotel did not care how many rooms we were booking, they would do nothing to guarantee us adjoining rooms or even rooms near each other - that we would have to take our chances once we checked in.
Another area hotel was more than willing to work with us so we will be staying there instead.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I am sorry to read that you chose not to stay with us. As we do not guarantee connecting rooms, we are almost always able to accommodate our guests for this request. We simply do not offer the ability to guarantee special requests, except for medical, as we do not want to make promises to our guests that we can't honor. We hope that you will consider booking with us during your future visits to Springfield.
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I reserved the Ruby Room for 60 people the morning of April 6, 2013. The food was excellent and was kept warm and plentiful throughout our time there. Staff was friendly and efficient. I asked for pens for a game. The staff manager went to an office and brought back 60 pens for our use. Very nice.
We were also very happy with the staff in the dining room, who also delivered service beyond expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms were large and clean. Bedding could have been tighter as sheets got a little sloppy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for the great review of our Staff!! I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable experience in one of our ballrooms. I will be more than happy to share this review with our F&B Director as well as the entire staff that worked hard to ensure you had a positive experience. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we hope you will visit us again. Thank you!
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the headquarter hotel for our annual regional Women's Barbershop Convention. The sheets on the beds (not just mine, I asked around) were awful -- like they were made of wax paper. Evidently, according to housekeeping, yes, they are new. Someone should really look into this. I also think it is ridiculous to have to pay for internet these days. On a brighter note, the meal at the in-house restaurant was awesome. We did the Sunday lunch buffet. For around $13, we got lots of good variety and coffee and assorted juices were included. The best part was our wait staff. Britanny went above and beyond taking care of our table of six. And the manager Pawlos was roaming and being helpful. It is hard to please a bunch of older women, and they managed to do that this weekend. But someone should really look into the sheet situation....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback in regards to your stay. I do apologize about the sheets. We are aware of this concern and are taking steps to ensure our guests have comfortable sheets during their stay. Thank you for the kind words in regards to Pawlos and Brittany. I am happy to be able to share your positive review with them as I know they both work very hard to provide a great experience for our guests. Thank you for staying with us during your convention.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visited Springfield for a convention and some sight-seeing. This hotel is especially convenient when traveling by car, it is right off the exit of Illinois I55, and there is plenty of free parking. Lots of chain restaurants are right there as well (Bob Evans, Stake & Shake, Panera, Applebee's, etc.) The king sized room was large, had a nice bath, two closets, a small desk and a couch. I always appreciate a hair dryer with some power! The staff was very accommodating, from the front desk to Housekeeping. It was an easy drive into Springfield to see the Lincoln attractions. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The hotel looks down I55, so the higher rooms have a much better view of the countryside (There are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review! We appreciate your generous comments about our front desk and housekeeping staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit.

Been to Crowne Plaza Springfield? Share your experiences!