“A Nice Surprise...and a not so nice surprise...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Minneapolis
“A Nice Surprise...and a not so nice surprise...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

First of all let me say that I think I got the deal of a lifetime booking this on priceline and naming my own price. In fact, I cannot believe what a great deal it was. I momentarily felt like I had just won a little mini-lottery. Could not believe the price I got it for based on the caliber of the hotel I thought I'd be getting.

Pulling up to the hotel itself is impressive, as it's the tallest building in the area. Easy to find, close to lots of stuff, and very convenient. While the lobby is under some kind of construction and the down escalator was out while I was there, there are four elevators also in the lobby to take you to the 2nd floor where the check-in desk is. Once there, I was treated very well and was excited my room was on an upper floor.

Walking into the room itself, I was very pleased. Nice furnishings, a pretty large bathroom, great view, super clean, and over-all a very large space. I also really loved the beds...they are bouncy and soft...not the normal stiff mattresses you find in most hotels. At first I was a little apprehensive thinking it was maybe too bouncy and soft, but the fact is...I slept like a baby and no backache in the morning....yahoo for me. :)

Now the only complaint i have about this place...is the internet fee. I didn't really look at the services this hotel provided when it was booked because the website won't tell you which hotel you get until you book it. So was not aware at all there was a fee for internet service in your room. I was reading the little manual they leave on the desk for you, however, and it clearly stated 'complimentary wireless service throughout the hotel,' no mention whatsoever of a fee. So when I tried to log on and check my emails, I couldn't get in so called the front desk to find out if they forgot to give me an access code or something. That's when I found out there was a $10.00 fee per day for internet. WHAT?? Not wanting to sound like a cheapskate here, but isn't charging an internet fee a little neanderthal in this day and age? I travel extensively, and even in small towns with little one and two star hotels, I have not had to pay a fee in about 4 or years. I then read the passage in their file back to them, and was immediately waived the fee. But seriously...who charges a fee anymore for internet? I guess it just seemed real petty to me. And although they waived it, I still was instructed to go down to the front desk in the morning to make sure it had been removed from my bill, as apparently, they still had to charge my credit card in order for me to gain access. Even though they were nice about it the next morning, I did feel upset about it the entire evening because I thought it was going to be a confrontation with the morning staff. It made me feel like a loser fighting over $10.00, but they do clearly state in their informational packet, 'complimentary wireless internet.'

And then I started to wonder if it all went back to my discounted room rate. Does everyone else get it free, but if you book for a cheaper rate you have to pay to get on the internet? Not sure, but that one little incident made me feel bad about the experience, hence the 3-Star rating.

heads up to Crowne Plaza...do yourself and your clientele a favor, and get rid of that out-dated fee. NO ONE charges a fee for internet access anymore. No one.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Congratulations on getting such a great price! I apologize the escalator was down during your visit. We had a scheduled update we wanted to complete during our slower time. The update is only to our escalator and will be completed shortly. Thank you for the kind specific compliments about the room. I will follow up to make sure our welcome guides are proving the correct information in all of our rooms. We do provide free wifi in our lobby to all our guests. We also provide free wifi in our sleeping rooms to all members of the IHG program Priority Club. This is a completely free program and you will never receive a fee, only benefits when you stay with IHG. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The room was good size, clean, and had a refrigerator - those are all very good.

I was traveling for business and I was alone so I tend to work from my room and watch TV when I am on the road - this brought on my discontent with my stay. They do not have free wireless in the room. They force you to pay for it but the real kicker is that the signal is so weak that you can't even get to the page for them to rob you of your $10 per day. It is free in the lobby (who knows why it is free there and not in the room) so plan on setting up camp at one of the tables to do your work. The other thing that bothered me is the TV. Here they have a really nice 42" or 46" LG HDTV but they do not have digital cable or signal running thru it. What's worse is they programmed the TV display for zoom so you get 2/3 of the picture on your screen - very annoying. I would have fixed it for them but they blocked out the controls on the TV. And the remote was one of those proprietary hotel cable remotes that only allows for channel/volume up & down and the purchase of "top shelf" movies. The remote by the way looked like it had been handled by someone with the plague, I needed some rubber gloves to touch that thing. The room had its positives but was not strong in my creature comforts.

Room Tip: Plan on working from the lobby if you need internet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I am sorry you did not have a better experience while staying with us. We do have a $9.95 charge for wifi in our sleeping rooms, but the fee is waived to all members of the Priority Club program. The program is completely free and our members will never receive any charges, only benefits for staying with IHG. We are currently in the process of updating our internet equipment to provide a faster connection. In addition, I will follow up with our Chief Engineer to ensure we are providing the best picture quality available in our rooms. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Woodstock, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Upon my arrival I received a letter from the sales manager addressed to "Mr.".... I am female so immediately, before I even finished checking in, I was insulted. Then the front desk had me booked into a double room instead of a king, which they did correct but these two incidents immediately upon arrival left me with an impression that this hotel has a serious lack of attention to detail. To further my disappointment, I went to the vending machine to get some bottled water and discovered it was out of bottled water (in the two slots allotted to bottle water). Then, I went down to the gift shop but it was closed. It was 7pm. The hotel's directory says the gift shop is open until 8pm. I called the front desk and voiced my disappointment. I was told that the gift shop closes at different times and she (the front desk clerk) wasn't really sure what time they close. I also mentioned the vending machines. Someone from guest services called to ask me if I wanted him to bring me some water (might have been a nicer gesture to just bring it without calling to ask me). I told him not to bother - the damage was already done. I explained all of the things I was disappointed at and all he said was "Oh I see". I would have thought that maybe he would have brought the water anyway upon hearing how extremely displeased I was with the hotel so far. To further my negative impression, the carpets throughout the hotel have many stains, the metal a/c vent grate in my room is missing several rungs leaving gaping holes, and there are no available electrical outlets near the desk in the room - where clearly guests would be likely to plug in laptops, etc. As my first stay after joining the Priority Rewards, I am highly disappointed. I had a much different experience at the Embassy Suites that I was at in Chicago for the two days prior to this stay. The one positive thing I have to say is that the bathroom is beautiful. And to their credit, the front desk staff is very friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I apologize we had the suffix wrong when we addressed you with our welcome letter. I will follow up with Coke to make sure our vending machines are stocked properly. In addition, I will address the staff to make sure we are accommodating our guests properly when these types of incidences happen. Thank you again for providing feedback regarding your stay.
Rantoul, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Having read several other reviews of this hotel, i was unsure of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at the high level of cleanliness and comfort this property offered. Upon entering, I was amazed at the decor of the main lobby. The shining brass and polished floors suggested the elegance of a larger city hotel. The registration is on the second floor, where we were met by a courteous and capable desk clerk that made checking into our room a quick and easy experience.

The room was smartly decorated, with most popular amenities. The bed was comfortable and was outfitted with clean soft sheets. There was a small sofa and desk that were both stylish and practical. There was a hotel binder which explained safety rules and fire escapes, but also had a wonderful section on local attractions and dining choices as well as those which would offer a discount by showing your room key. The air conditioning worked wonderfully and had adjustable settings for fan control.

The bathroom was large and impeccably clean. The bath had a seemingly endless supply of hot water, and invigorating shower head. Clean towels were aptly placed and supplied well for two persons, although more then that might have to ask for more.

The pool and sauna on the 14th floor was flawless. It was well kept and very comforting for a refreshing swim in the morning. I especially liked the open air veranda, with reclining lounge chairs. The view from this point was wonderful and offered a great place to relax and get a little sun.

On the ground floor there is a little gift shop, which was not what we expected. In addition to the standard Springfield collectibles and memorabilia, they offered luggage, scarves, jewelry and unusual items at very affordable prices. Really a hidden gem!

The only detractions from this hotel were the lack of staff and/or greeters on the ground floor and a few minor flaws in the room. Our room was missing a mirrored closet door which contained ironing supplies. Had there not been the rails visible I would not have noticed it was missing at all.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel when traveling to Springfield. It is comparable to other hotels nearby, around $20 dollars more, but offers many luxuries the others don't. It is one of the few hotels that offer smoking rooms, which is rare to find these days. If I travel to Springfield again I will most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an Upper floor for the best views of the surrounding area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow, what a great review of our property! Thank you very much for taking the time to be so specific in your feedback. This is great feedback I can share with our staff. I really enjoyed the point you made about the cost of hotels. In this direct area and Springfield, all hotels are very close in price. The Crowne Plaza offers so many upscale features that are simply not offered at other hotels. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a great review.
Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was a great hotel. Was in town (August 12-15) with family to visit the Presidential Library and Museum, and was honestly very impressed. I work for a hotel chain myself, and can appreciate and understand the trials of making every stay a great stay. Sarah at the front desk was EXTREMELY helpful and kind. She even waived my Wi-Fi because I was a Priority club member. She also was able to find us directions to a local emergency room when needed. She is truly an asset. Lounge food was delicious, however I felt the bartender was a lil overwhelmed taking food orders, making drinks, and serving food.

Breakfast the next morning was certainly a mistake. Stood at the host station for ten minutes before a waitress came to seat us (there were only three tables seated at the time). Took an additional 20 minutes for coffee or drink orders to be taken, so I had to go to the coffee shop in the lobby to buy my table coffee. Food was subpar at best. Very disappointed.

Had a minor issue with the AC in one of my rooms, but it was promptly repair and worked great. Everyone had a smile and greeted us happily. Rooms were great! Overall this was an amazing stay. Will stay here in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thanks for your review! Sarah will be thrilled to read your feedback! I apologize that you did not have a better experience with our Restaurant. I will follow up with our Food and Beverage Director to ensure we are providing premium service and food, which our guests should expect. Thank you for commenting on the staff specifically. We truly work to provide an exceptional experience for our guest.
Appleton, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

It is a beautiful hotel, but it was just an ok stay. Nothing above and beyond. Overall the hotel was clean. The registration attendant at night when we arrived was ok. Security attendant was very welcoming every time we came and went. One strike against the hotel was that we had to pay for wifi if we wanted to use it. A second strike was that there wasn't a continental breakfast. We booked this hotel for our stay because there were no other rooms available at any other hotels in Springfield (State Fair weekend). We normally stay at another well known chain hotel that provides free wifi and continental breakfast. The rooms was nice. We have a family of 4 and it was able to accommodate us nicely. The pool was fun. Very large! Overall a nice hotel, just a few additional amenities that I mentioned previously (free wifi and maybe a continental breakfast) would be nice...especially for the price that you pay for a nights stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I apologize we were not able to provide you with a better experience. We truly do not strive for "ok". Thank you for your cleanliness compliment - all hotels appreciate that. As for the wifi, we do provide free wifi to all members of the Priority Club Program. This is a completely free program and you will never receive a fee, only benefits when you stay with IHG. Also, we offer complimentary internet in the lobby for all guest visiting the hotel. As we do not provide complimentary breakfast, we do have special rates that will include breakfast. They are very close in price to our Best Available rate and truly are a great deal if you plan to have breakfast in the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The hotel was very friendly. The rooms, lobby and elevators were very clean and beautiful. The rooms were small for a family of 5 even though they said it would accommodates us. It did, but there was a lot of climbing over beds to get around the room. The bathroom was huge and very nice. The shower had hot water and a great shower head. The beds were doubles so a little small, but comfortable. The swimming pool was nice and the view of Springfield was really cool for my kids. We ate the breakfast buffet which was excellent. There were a lot of choices for my entire family.

Room Tip: When asking for a room for 5, ask for a family suite. It is supposedly bigger than a traditional ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking time to complement our hotel and proving feedback on some of the details you enjoyed. I apologize that the room was a little small for your family. With the roll away bed, I can agree that would be a tight fit for a family of 5. Thank you again for taking time to write your review..

Been to Crowne Plaza Springfield? Share your experiences!