“Improving....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Godfrey, Illinois
“Improving....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The conference rooms and hallways have received new carpet, lighting, and wallpaper in the elevator. Nice to see the LED lighting in the conference rooms. I prefer to stay on the 16th floor or above. The elevators run super slow if your room is on the 2nd-15th floor. Out of the three elevators, I've seen the same one go up and come back down as if the other two aren't working but no sign posted if that's the case.

Free wifi but the speed in the conference room runs at a snails space. Needs attention since when I'm in town I'm in there more than my room.

Breakfast buffet isn't your average buffet. Really nice and many choices. The staff who work the buffet are wonderful. Very accommodating when I need to take my breakfast to go. Thank you.

This time around I fixed the hanging picture in the bathroom. Looked as if someone tried to pretty it off the wall. Fixed the makeup mirror as well. It was coming apart in the arm where it bends. I just do not understand why housekeeping doesn't report this stuff to maintenance staff. Makes no sense to me.

I carry Lysol wipes with me when I travel. I wipe down every room prior to settling in. Especially the phones, TV remote, light switches, door knobs, & toilet handle! I find what hadn't been touched by housekeeping staff. Please go over room cleaning basics!

I love the king size beds and pillow choices. If your not from an area where you are accustomed to hearing trains they may bother you when your trying to sleep. I enjoy their sound. I come from a family of railroad workers.

Love that Starbucks is in the hotel. Bennigan's creamy potato soup on a cold day is very yummy. The beer is cold!

See you soon!

• Stayed January 2013
MFear, Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Katherine B,

I am so delighted you are seeing some improvements. Your satisfaction is our greatest concern. I am delighted to hear you enjoy the Highland Room for breakfast and you find your room to be comfortable. I apologize your bathroom was a bit off. I will share your comments with our housekeeping staff. Thank you for staying wit us often. We look forward to having you with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

First time staying here on business. Loved the Starbucks and Bennigans attached to the hotel which allowed for inexpensive alternatives to standard high-priced hotel restaurants. Nick and Nino's Restaurant on the 30th floor had a great view, although we had to sit at the bar due to being walk-ins. Food was great, lobster bisque a bit disappointing as it was a tad too spicy with no lobster meat present. Made up for it with the lobster ravioli which was teeming with plenty of succulent lobster meat. Pinnacle Club had the most opportunity for great views on the 30th floor. Prices reasonable for drinks and food. Room was good. Request for view of capitol building not honored due to hotel being fully booked, totally understandable. Heat was a bit confusing as it only kicked on for a couple minutes before shutting off, leaving room a bit cool no matter how high the temperature. That and extremely soft pillows caused for a struggle to sleep. Would definitely return and love to try a suite next time!

Room Tip: Request a high floor and view of the capitol building. Although my request was not honored, my co-tr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Harold D,

Thank you for styaing with us during your conference. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our restaurant options and had an opportunity to use them. I am hopeful we will see you again the next time you are in Springfield.
Guildford England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a perfectly good hotel, and I'm sure I'll be staying there again. Staff were lovely, free wifi, and location is excellent, only a couple of blocks from the Lincoln Family Home area (which to my English mind was far and away the most evocative of the Lincoln memorials) and an easy stroll to the Capitol and the downtown restaurants and bars. However that's the best going for it. The hotel really needs refurbishment as everything looks a bit tired, and I noticed that they are currently working on the upper floors, so hopefully they're working down the hotel not up (I was on the 3rd floor). Breakfast buffet is good and reasonably priced ($12.95 for the full cooked buffet) but at $149/night for the room I expected a little more, at least breakfast included. Downside: room heating is by aircon which is noisy so I had to turn it off overnight which is sad because it was -10C outside and the room got rather chilly. Don't bother visiting their in-house eatery (Bennigans) which is convenient but unimaginative - go instead to somewhere like Obed & Isaacs Microbrewery And Eatery (on 6th and Jackson) which has charm and a much better choice of both drink and food. But there are loads of other alternatives within a few minutes walk of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BarrySandell,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including comments help identify ways we can improve. I was delighted to read you found our hotel conveniently located and our staff friendly. However, I understand you found us to be somewhat dated and in need of renovations. Your satisfaction is my number one concern. In addition, I sincerely apologize you’re A/C unit was noisy and not working properly. I have brought this to the attention of our Engineer Department. I thank you for bringing this to my attention so we can fix this issue.

Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I understand that some rooms need an update, but I love this unique hotel. I stayed at this Hilton in mid-January to attend a trade show within the facility and it was the second time that I stayed at this location. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 27th floor and I loved it. I had left southern IN early due to icy conditions, so I had quite a bit of work to do. Being able to stretch out in the living area was wonderful! The staff was pleasant and helpful. They took the time to explain all of the bonus benefits of being a Hilton Honors member staying at this property. A wrestling meet was happening in town the Saturday during my stay, but I was not disturbed at all. When I started bringing my trade show items from my room Sunday morning, I made a point to seek out some of the coaches to express my appreciation. I was very pleased and surprised at how quite the teams were during the night - room construction could have blocked the sound too. I had some nightmares thanks to some softball teams this summer at another hotel, so being able to sleep was a concern. The hot breakfast was a nice perk and the coffee was fresh and replenished frequently.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MFear, Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Aimee S,

We were so glad you have you with us. Thank you for posting your detailed review. I am glad you found our accommodations comfortable and our staff helpful. This is our ultimate goal! Please come back and see us again the next time you are in Springfield.
O'Fallon, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

It is extra to have a fridge and microwave brought to your room, breakfast is $12/person/day, "free" Wifi in room didn't work, you have to pay hotel $8/day for parking to come and go or use the parking garage for $5.50/day. There is no vent fan in the bathrooms for steam or stench, the walls are EXTREMELY thin and the door to the room doesn't go all the way to the floor so you can hear full conversations in the hallways. There is no hot tub and you can't bring drinks/food to the pool/lounge area. Shower water kept getting really cold then really hot and water pressure is terrible. Furnaces are crazy loud plus the train tracks are 2 blocks away and run all night. All you get for the money is good customer service and spectacular view. "Steakhouse" on 30th floor sold 75% seafood and 25% steak. Food was expensive at around $50/person for mediocre quality, I've had better steak, salad, and mashed potatoes at Texas Roadhouse.

Room Tip: Save your money and spend the night in a Motel with continental breakfast. Dine at other local resta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
spooky2018,

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges you incurred.I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you went through and would be more than happy to discuss this further with you. Your satisfaction is our main concern and I make myself available for any questions you should have.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The location was perfect for what we were doing. The rooms need a face lift for sure. There was a parking surcharge of $8 a day. Starbucks attached to the lobby was perfect.
the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
smilesandjoy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is nice to hear you found our location convenient. Your comments important to us and I will definitely keep your comments in mind to improve our on-property experience. Please come back and see us again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Best part about this place is you have the ability to go up stairs to the bar and/or steak house if the weather is nasty. The location was okay too. The room should age and you could hear it in the building when high gusts of wind hit. Eggs came over done when ordering room service, and they did not go out of their way when I ordered steamed veggies in the morning. Office area was not conducive to working as it did not feature enough outlets.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Matthew G,

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad that you found our hotel to be conveniently located. Our main priority is for all our guests to have a comfortable and welcoming stay. I do however understand from your review that you found our property to be somewhat dated and that your breakfast was below your level of expectations. Our guests satisfaction is very important to us and I will definitely keep your comments in mind to improve our on-property experience.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and hope that the next time you are in the area, you will consider staying at our location. Thank you.

Been to Hilton Springfield? Share your experiences!