“Indifferent Management - Nice Amenities, But Not Worth It” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Oak Park, IL
“Indifferent Management - Nice Amenities, But Not Worth It”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

Indifferent Management - Nice Amenities, But Not Worth It

I stayed at this hotel on May 2, 2007. I checked in early at around 1:30, about ninety minutes before the hotel's check-in time. The front desk person gave me two key cards to room 715. Neither key worked. I returned to the front desk and was issued new key cards. This time the keys worked, giving me entry into another guest's room. There were clothes hanging in the closet, an un-made bed and the bathroom door was closed and presumably occupied by some poor stranger. Oops! I sheepishly got out of there and returned, again, to the front desk. The clerk realized her mistake, apologized, and gave me a new room, three floors lower. Hoping that the third try would be the charm, I realized that I had been given a smoking room, not the non-smoking room I had reserved. This time, I called the front desk and was told by the same woman who had originally checked me into another guest's room that I must be in error, since her reservation showed me in a non-smoking room. She explained that I would have to produce a copy of my reservation before she would accommodate me in a non-smoking room. I then powered up my lap top and reviewed my reservation, which showed that I had a non-smoking room. Not wanting to go back to the lobby again, I phoned the front desk back and explained that I had the reservation in front of me and would like a new room, but did not feel I should have to carry my laptop down to the lobby and show her, given the circumstances. She agreed and sent someone to help me move. Whew! When I finally got settled in my room, I liked what I had. As many others have written, this hotel is unique in style and feel and the rooms are quite nice. The complementary drink coupon is a thing of real value because the bar in this place looks like the sort of place Sinatra would have favored. Even the piped-in hotel music fits in with the 1960's décor. And the breakfast buffet is substantial, with great variety. Since the hotel is only two blocks from the capital, it is the perfect location for any state traveler and would be my hotel of choice, but for the indifference I encountered. On the morning after my stay, I reviewed the bill that was slid under my door. I was supposed to be charged 'state rate,' as per my reservation. But I was over-charged by nearly $24, requiring yet another trip to the front desk, which I made before breakfast. This was also corrected, with some creative work by the (different) desk clerk. After breakfast, I returned to my room, filled out one of the hotel's response cards, and cleared out. I left my completed response card (with my email address) with the same clerk who had checked me in the day before, and have yet to hear anything. I also replied to an email survey. I did get an email reply saying someone from Choice Hotels called me, but left no message, 'to protect my privacy.' I'm still waiting for any reply, nearly two weeks later. In sum, I got the room I bargained for, but had to work way too hard for the experience. A night in Springfield, Illinois should not require such effort and haggling. Although the two clerks I encountered were anything but rude and did what I asked them to do, they and their managers were sadly indifferent to problems that simply should not be happening in this or any other hotel.

• Liked — Unique decor, great location, substantial breakfast, nice room
  • Disliked — Indifferent front desk staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
joejeter, Managing Owner at The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2007
As the Managing Owner of the State House Inn, I routinely read through TripAdvisor. I want to take this opportunity to apologize to this guest for the inconvenience they had during their recent stay.

Unfortunately those magnetic keys sometimes don't work the first time. It doesn't happen a lot but it happens often enough. Sometimes having them in your hand next to a ringing cell phone is enough to scramble the code on the magnetic strip. In any case, it is frustrating when you get to your room and the door won't open. More so when you do get in and find the room occupied.

We make mistakes. Given the volume of business we do we don't make many but we are human. It sounds like my staff did everything they could to satisfy this guest but as is often the case in life, when things start to go wrong they just keep going wrong all the way to the end.

Still, it's not fair for somebody paying State Rate ($70/night) to label our hotel "poor value". Our average rate is significantly higher than State Rate but we still provide the same level of service and amenities to our State Guests when we are able to offer that discount rate. They might have had an unfortunate experience with us but we are GREAT VALUE.

If this guest reads this review, I hope they will contact me directly Joe@TheStateHouseInn.Com as I would like to offer them a chance to stay with us again.

Joe Jeter, Managing Owner
The State House Inn Management L.L.C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2007

My husband and I are from Hodgenville, KY where Abraham Lincoln was born. For some time we had wanted to travel to Springfield, IL to visit where he lived - his home and the newer Presidential Library & Museum were of particular interest. We desired a hotel that was close to downtown but not too expensive, as we would be arriving with only enough time to sleep for three hours, shower, and be on our way. After arriving at the hotel I wished we had booked an extra day!

The hotel was constructed in 1963 and has recently been restored to that era. The decor was great, and something I've never seen in a hotel. Here is a quick summary of my stay:

* We had a suite with a living room, kitchenette, and bedroom. The fridge, sink, and microwave were stainless steel. The decor was very sixties...very different in a hotel and I enjoyed that. The room had free bottles of water waiting for you. The cost was $107, which I think was very reasonable for the amenities and location. There was a business center open 24/7, as well as a workout room.

* Besides the employee insulting my Kentucky accent as we checked in, the people there were very nice. The lady at breakfast was particularly sweet. More on that later...

*I didn't see any pictures of the bathroom on their website, but they should post one. There was a sliding door to get in the bathroom, which sounds terrible, but is very well done. I loved it. The tile work in the bathroom was beautiful. There were plenty of towels and accessories on a stainless steel cart...even cotton swabs.

* The pillows and bed were extremely soft and fluffy. I LOVED it, although my husband said it was the worst bed he had ever slept on. I think men tend to gravitate towards firmer mattresses.

* I cannot believe the hotel does not boast about their breakfast. Maybe I'm just easy to impress, but it was excellent. There was hot, and actually really good, eggs, bacon, and sausage, and plenty of cereal, bread, and drink offerings. My favorite part was being able to make your own waffles. The lady who managed the breakfast was extremely friendly and took care of everything for you.

* The location is very nice...you could walk to the attractions there if you wanted. If not, you could park in a garage a few blocks closer to the visitor points of interest.

* I really enjoyed the hotel and my entire Springfield trip. The museum is very nice, and if you are a Lincoln enthusiast then I can't imagine you not enjoying your stay.

• Liked — The suit feature (2 TV's) , the bathroom, and the breakfast!!!
  • Disliked — My husband was not impressed with the lighting...all lamps and no overhead fixtures.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

My wife and I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and stayed here the night of May 5, 2005. We came to Springfield to specifically tour the Abraham Lincoln sites. As always with Trip Advisor, my goal is to present the good with the bad, to give readers as balanced a review as possible.

THE GOOD: This hotel is actually really cool. It was recently renovated in a retro 1960s modern design, which is especially carried out in the lobby, the cocktail lounge and the rooms. The design and ambiance are great, and this is one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed at. The day staff was very helpful with directions and advice. We arrived very early on check in day. Although it was too early to get our room, they allowed us to park our car (all the Lincoln sites are very walkable from this hotel) and we were able to grab a bite to eat from their free deluxe breakfast buffet (includes cold items, and eggs, meats, potatoes and do-it-yourself waffle irons). The breakfast buffet is a great amenity, and at check-in we were given two free drink coupons to their really cool lounge, which we were happy to make good on.

THE BAD: I do give them credit here for accountability. After speaking with the manager the next day, he agreed to refund us for the night and I believe this was probably a fluke. The problems we experienced came at night. What is truly ironic about this is that on my reservation, I specifically asked for "a quiet room." But for some reason, what seemed at the time like a practical joke, we were placed on an obnoxious wedding party floor. After midnight, the noise level was unbearable. When we complained to the desk at 1am, we were informed that a wedding party was on the floor, and not much could be done. How does this help me and every other guest caught in the midst of this?! If they made any attempt to remedy the noise, which is doubtful, it made no difference. Finally, after 2AM, I phoned and demanded a new room, which I received, only after having to collect the necessary belongings, wade out through a hallway full of noisy drunks (a fight was actually starting to break out by the elevator) and go to the front desk to pick up the new keys. The new room was quiet, and I actually did get to sleep for a time, until the fire alarm went off at around 3am. I heard through hearsay that the police were also called to the scene at some point during the night.

The moral of this story is that a hotel ought not host wedding parties without the necessary staff able and willing to keep them in line. But despite the above mishap, I would at least consider staying here again. Someone clearly put some time and money into the remodeling of this hotel, and its actually, on the surface, a nice place, with some great amenities. Not to mention very clean. But think twice about staying on a Friday or Saturday night during wedding season. Hopefully after the May 5 debacle, the management learned a valuable lesson.

MISC: If you are, like us, staying here to visit the Lincoln sites, the Lincoln museum, house, law office and tomb are not to be missed: in that order. And there is a great Frank Lloyd Wright house in town, with the majority of the original furnishings still intact. All but the museum are free. For a nice bit of nostalgia, try Cozy Dog on old Rt. 66, who claim to have invented the corn dog.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Noise!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
It has been our policy to have a security guard in the hotel whenever we have a large wedding group in the hotel. Our records indicate that this group had 20 rooms so there should have been a guard on duty. In the future we will certainly have one present to prevent this.

I have written to the guest directly and apologized for this incident.

Joe Jeter, Managing Owner
The State House Inn Management L.L.C.
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

I would recommend staying at this hotel. I forget my suit upon checking out and the staff contacted me and were very thorough in getting my belongs back which they shipped for free. The hotel staff was pleasant throughout my stay and I really aprreciated their efforts after my checkout in helping me.

If you go to Springfield, make sure you check out Cafe Brio for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

I almost didn't want to stay in this hotel from the way the outside looked. It was well kept but an ugly old building. Boy was I shocked to see the inside. They worked wonders remodeling.
The hotel was very clean. Not a speck of dust on the blinds or lampshades. They had duvet covers on the comforters, plenty of towels, bathrobes, free bottled water.
We had two rooms with 2 adults and 5 kids. We were going to stay two nights but ended up staying one night since Springfield closes down at 5:00pm. The free self serve breakfast had waffle makers that my kids enjoyed along with eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. They also gave us coupons for free drinks in the evening and tickets to the Lincoln museum (this museum is worth a trip to Springfield).

• Liked — Clean and well kept
  • Disliked — small rooms and no pool
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Palatine, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

Our family of four spent Saturday night here while we toured the Springfield attractions. The hotel was pretty deserted on this weekend, making the free parking available close to the entrance. No lines or crowds for the bountiful breakfast buffet, and there even was staff to clear away dirty dishes!

The room rate also included coupons for free cocktails in the bar, which gave us some time away from the kids before we went out to dinner. We typically never go to bars because of smoke concerns, but apparently Springfield is now smoke free, and we were the only ones there in any case. The bartender made good drinks and was friendly.

Our room had two double beds that were crammed into the space, overlapping the door that connects to the next room by a bit. There was about a foot of space between the window and one of the beds, which was terribly tight for anyone trying to get out on that side. The bed frames themselves were attractive, yet had side and foot rails that rose to within 3 inches of the top of the mattress. This made it impossible to lift the mattress up to tuck the fitted sheet back over the corners, as it would ride up during the night. There was no mattress pad, which is possibly why it slipped so much. I felt great sympathy for the housekeeping staff in this regard. The high bed rails also were felt if your arm was extended over the side of the bed during the night (ouch!). The mattresses were pillowtop and very comfortable, and the sheets were of fine quality. The duvet was heavy and ended up sliding all over the bed and onto the floor during the night. There were a variety of pillows the accomodate everyone's preferences. We heard no noise during the night. (I can't vouch for the people on either side of us, however!)

The dresser was Ikea type furniture, in good shape, but not much to look at. Finger holes to pull open the drawers (which was good because the passing space in front of the unit was quite tight), laminate top. Big bulky TV on top.

The bathroom was the best feature, with towels and nice robes hung on a hook within easy reach of the shower. Ample counter space, nice quality soap and shampoo, shower cap, shoeshine mitt. Bath rug, in addition to bath mat, was appreciated.

There was no minifridge in the room and we could not locate the ice machine to fill the bucket with plastic bag liner.

Tip: If staying here for sightseeing, let the reservation agent know and the sales dept will get you discounted tickets for the Lincoln Museum. It's only $1 per ticket but it adds up.

• Liked — Breakfast Buffet
  • Disliked — The sheets coming off in the night
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

We have just returned from a two-night stay at the State House Inn. We were excited to see the hotel after reading all of the previous reviews. We loved the decor. It is NOT over the top or gaudy. It's actually a breath of fresh air to see something a little different. Our favorite part was the hot breakfast! It was absolutely delicious! They had everything...cereal, yogurt, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, the best potatoes, juice, coffee, bagels, english muffins, mini muffins, fresh fruit, instant oatmeal, and belgian waffles! The breakfast room had a huge big screen TV with the news on every morning. There is a piano bar on the main level too...we didn't go in, but there were plenty of people taking advantage of it. (we also got 2 free drink tickets at check-in) The location is good. Right in the heart of the downtown area. Most familiar restaurants are located about 15/20 mins away near the mall and Wal-Mart/Target. The State Capitol is about a block away...a beautiful building to be able to see from the hotel. We paid about $100 each night. We were in room 310. There are 7 floors total. Our room had one queen size bed. It was pretty noisy the weekend we were there, because there was a cheerleading competition in town. Noise travels pretty good through the halls. However, if you just turn on the fan on the heating/air system you can't hear a thing. The bed was super comfy! The all white linens were crisp and clean. The TV didn't get a whole lot of channels, but it had the basics. Also, in the lobby there is a small shop open 24 hours (with free coffee) where you can buy some small snacks, drinks, and various small souvenirs. The hotel is very close to all the Lincoln Attractions. All are a must see!

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!