“Clean and Friendly Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 40 hotels in Springfield
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean and Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a suite and it was very roomy. The retro furniture, some vintage and some reproduction, is very fun to see throughout the hotel. The staff at check-in was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean. Coffee in rooms was a nice feature for the early risers who awake before breakfast is served on the 1st floor. The TV was old and that was really the only negative. Conveniently located downtown and walking distance to all the historical sights (except the Lincoln Tomb) and directly across from the working Capitol building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
St. Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Friendly staff, clean rooms, nicely sized. Coffee maker in the rooms. Only drawback was bad TV. Good breakfast, featuring eggs, bacon, waffles cereal. Abundant parking. Great location situated across from the capital and reasonably priced. I would stay there again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our room was great ... clean, modern, big enough. Breakfast was well above average.

The location can't be beat. It one block from the state capitol and easy walking distance to the Lincoln Museum, Library and House, all of which are outstanding.

There is a bar in the hotel. We wished it served food other than popcorn.

Parking is free and hassle free.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was great; clean, quiet, comfortable, great location, super staff but for one staff member's failure to know the hotel processing of debit cards, failure to take a second card at the time of check-in and her decision to do things her own way. Also, the complimentary breakfast was not so good, powdered eggs, low-end sausage, no pastries, etc.

At check-in -- I presented my debit card asking the transaction be processed as a "charge," not a debit. My colleague, at this same time, advised that she was going to put half of our 2 night stay on her credit card. The desk person did not enter the second card and although she allegedly ran the 2 night stay as a charge on my card, it was interestingly run as a debit, WITHOUT THE USE OF MY "PIN!" How does that happen?

You may think what's the big deal? At the time I made the reservation, I was advised that a debit transaction could remain on my account for as long as 15 days!!! Because of this slip-up, if the second card was going to be used even at checkout, the first debit transaction would be holding my monies for a 2 night stay, possibly for 13 days beyond my stay, plus a second one night stay would be added. The big deal is, I only work part-time, at minimum wage and I am my only income!!! Additionally, while double the amount I had saved for my half of the cost is being held by The State House Inn, I have 2 transactions for which there are not funds because of the hold; my bank does pay them, but I incur fees of $68. Additionally, my colleague now has to pay me in cash. The hotel did provide a $20 credit to our bill, of which $10, is my share. My bank fees, are now only $58, yippie.

My stay was troubled the whole time worrying about the financial situation created for me by The State House Inn. What gives The State House Inn the authority to run a person's transaction differently than how they are told to use a card, especially without advising the card holder of their overruling? Even though this was a business trip to take classes, it was the first trip I have taken in over 6 years and it basically was ruined because one employee chose to ignor the direction of the guests!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
joejeter, Owner at The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We really do appreciate when Guests review our hotel even if they are not necessarily positive reviews. From time to time we do make mistakes and getting feedback, especially on a public forum like TripAdvisor, keeps us on our toes.

This particular review however seems to have wandered off track. They spent most of the review talking about things that are completely out of our hands. When a Guest chooses to use a Debit Card as a form of payment, Banks put a hold on the amount of funds they think the guest might spend and they tend to hold that money for quite a while.

The implication that a Debit Card got used without a PIN code and that this was somehow done nefariously by us is simply not true. Truthfully, I don't know if we need a PIN code to use a Debit Card at check-in because they are using it as a Credit Card (sort of). I'm not sure of all the details but I do know that there are big signs at the front desk warning the guests that this WILL happen if they present a Debit Card as a form of payment.

I really wish that our guests would review the hotel and not global finances. Did they like the decor? Were the staff friendly & helpful? Did they sleep well? Were the rooms clean? These are the things that other potential clients would find useful. A long narrative about the bane of using a Debit Card as a form of payment with the implication that we did something bad or wrong is counter-productive.

I am truly sorry that this guest had these problems. We certainly never want a stay with us to result in financial hardship. But I know that over the years we have had countless clients use their debit cards and then find out that THEIR bank has placed a large portion of their savings on hold. My suggestion to everybody that can is to get a mileage card from one of the airline partners. Rack up those free miles and use them when you can because the airlines treat everybody like cattle these days so there's no need to give them any allegiance. We on the other hand, continue to bend over backwards for our customers and we enjoy doing it.

Thanks,

Joe Jeter, Managing Owner
The State House Inn Management, LLC
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked the property via Airbnb because that's always my first default search before doing anything else. Joe, I believe the manager, was very responsive, so it was a easy process. This hotel is centrally located (walking distance) to downtown Lincoln attractions, with good reviews. In retrospect, I was lucky to find this value gem.

I really dig the retro decor and furnishing throughout the hotel. Our room was spacious, clean, simply yet tastefully decorated. Most important to me were cleanliness, comfort and quality of the bed, and noise factor. All of which were perfect during our stay. I also enjoy a quality selection of toiletries and other bathroom amenities, which this hotel had (functional hair dryer and magnifying mirror.) We even vegetated to free HBO. On that note, some may not be fans of the fat TVs. Yes a flat screen would have better display quality, but for the price, that's a minor detail insignificant to the whole experience (unless you spend most of your time watching TV).

Overall, a great stay. We'd definitely return if ever back in springfield.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel so we could visit the Lincoln Museum. I chose this hotel for it's location and great reviews and we were not disappointed. The room definitely had a retro vibe, which I thought was unique. Everything was clean and well-kept. I love the little things--bath and body soaps, robes, complimentary waters. The continental breakfast was great too! Lots to choose from. The front desk was very helpful and friendly.
Overall, it was a great experience and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is very modern and they have great paintings everywhere. The rooms were so nice and just all the small charming things they do to the room are excellent. I would highly recommend staying here! Also the lady at the front desk was an older lady and she was hilarious we loved her!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!