“Fun Spring Break Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center

You added Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center to your Saves list
Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 East St. Joseph Street, (6th & Stevenson Dr.), Springfield, IL 62703   |
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Overland Park, Kansas
“Fun Spring Break Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Traveled here on recommendation from friend...definitely NOT disappointed! My three kids felt like they were a stepping in to the world of Disney's CARS! The LOVED the diner and learned a ton about the history of the "old days," as they called it! My husband was unable to join us on our Spring Break trip, and I felt very safe and comfortable being a "single Mom" alone in a new place. They staff was very accomodating and gave great recommendations about area restaurants and entertainment.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

After reading the reviews I really did not want to stay here but there is a function taking place here that we need to be here early in the morning for and it was just easier to stay here. When I called the hotel I was offered a price of $75. I declined and went online to find a $56 price on another website. This hotel is a bit dirty and dingy with a strong smoke smell. The stairwells were very dirty. I just had the feeling that the place could use a good scrubbing. On a positive note, the young man at the front desk was very pleasant and effecient which I really appreciated. Wireless internet was available and worked properly. The route 66 memorablia in the hotel might to appeal to some but it was definetly not our thing. Because of the reviews I even checked our matresses for bed bugs, didn't find any. The bedding was quite worn but it did seem clean. Very odd that the wall where our room door is has a wall of windows, with a curtain. The window looks out into a hallway. There is no window to the outside in our room. It seems like all the rooms are this way. I do visit Springfield about once a year and would not see a reason to stay here again. I hate to say this because I appreciate a family owned business but there are much cleaner and more updated hotels in the same price range, some even with breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
StepAhead20, Owner at Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't as pleasant as you had hoped. I do wish that more people would go to our website and review the facility and what we offer. We are an American local family owned facility. The RT66 Hotel and Conference Center name is derived, because the building was the first Holiday Inn in Illinois on the original Route 66, the one that goes from Chicago to LA! Our hotel is themed to that era, and focus on the Route 66 highway. Our memorabilla is from the era, and is based on findings along the RT66. We have many overseas Bikers, and Police groups that ride the highway every year, year after year. We don't offer a continental breakfast, because we have an ON Site restaurant, that offers a more than filling breakfast for less than $6.50! That's hard to find today. We also offer broasted Chicken, the only place in Springfield that does, as well as our $12.66 three topping pizza, hand tossed. We are unique, we are priced to be able to accomodate the common traveler, we have a great restaurant, and we have friendly staff, as you mentioned. I have addressed the stairwells, and I appreciate your comments there. Thank you again for taking time to comment. I hope that my offerings here assist in understanding what our facility is like. It's probably not for everyone, but when checking our website, we're pretty open and honest with what we offer, and who we are. We strive to make your stay pleasant.
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

My husband and I don't get to get out very much after having our two small children. So, for Christmas, I decided to give him a trip to Springfield,IL. I did a little research on-line when looking for a hotel and found some negative comments about the Route 66 Hotel, but then again I found some negative comments about other, more recognizable hotels as well. Because this particular hotel offered a Jacquzi "Suite", we decided to give it a try. Upon pulling up to the Hotel, we thought, "Oh, crap . . . what have we done?" It looked like a converted Motel. The lobby had very out-dated wallpaper, but somewhat charming nostalgic memorbilia. The front desk staff was pleasant. We then walked down to our room. The disgusting smell of stale cigarette smoke filled the air. I thought to myself, "maybe the room will smell better." Nope! The smell was NASTY! It was a cross between cigarette's and musty smell. We could hear every word of the conversation of the people in the room next to us. My husband and I debated on what to do. We don't like to be a bother or to complain. The room was sooooo outdated, the carpet looked like circa 1970, but not in a nostalgic way . . . in a dirty way (as in it hasn't been cleaned or changed since 1970.) The icing on the cake were the blood-like stains on the floor next to the two arm chairs in the "sitting room." My husband and I looked at eachother and said "let's go." We didn't stay for more than 10 minutes . . . just long enough to book another room in a differnet hotel. When we went to the front desk, we were told that nothing could be done about cancelling the room until Monday b/c the management staff is not there on the weekends - What?!? We were assured that our card would not be charged . . . we shall see. After we got to our other Hotel in the area, we decided to pull up this website to see what in the world we could have missed as far as negative comments about Route 66. More recent reviews expressed similar situations in which the Hotel management was not available. In addition, other people were charged after unsatisfactory experiences. We decided to not be a victim in this situation and cancelled our card before the management could decide that our complaint was not valid enough for a refund. We called back to verify that our card would not be charged since we did not stay more than 10 mintues and we were hung up on - great customer service! We will be sure to follow up with management when they are finally available (apparently the weekend is not a time when management chooses to work). Hopefully they will make some changes so that other guests do not have similar situations and be so inconvenienced.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Northbrook, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

I usually prefer staying at hilton or marriott chain locations but in past couple of months I came across many independent owned hotels where they are so much different then typical chain hotels. I needed an overnight stay in Springfield Illinois. I found this hotel online and some website had it listed as a 3 star hotel. I decided to spend a night there and next morning I had a business meeting at a major insurence company located in downtown Springfield IL. Let me tell you this is a true bad mark on Springfield. Hotel is so much old and outdates, lay out of room is totally unacceptable. Bathrooms are real tiny. Cleanliness is close to none for a 3 star hotel. I think my house with 3 small children is cleaner then this hotel room at anygiven time. Beds are so hard, It was like sleeping on some hardwood floor. My night before my very very imprtant meeting was totally ruined. They dont even serve a free breakfast (after charging $72/night + Tax). There are some other hotels in area they charge like $50/night and they still serve a very basic breakfast. I spent another $15 in their restaurent. By the evening I was allready feeling sick. I dont know if it was because of no sleep a night before or because of their food. Food was a very very ordiary food. It didnt even taste like a restaurent food. People at a place where I was having a meetting really laughed at me when I said I stayed at "Route 66" last night so that also showed that what kind of a reputation this hotel is having for local people. By the evening I was feeling so sick that I was not even able to drive back home and I ended up staying at Fairfield Inn for $79.99 where rooms were so far better then junk Route 66 hotel and also they had free interned, free breakfast and a business center. FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH SAKE DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
StepAhead20, Owner at Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
If this is sincerely a valid review, I challenge you to contact me to discuss your issues. I find no record of any stay during this timeframe from an individual residing in Northbrook, IL. This hotel has never presumed to compete with a Hilton or a Marriott. If you read our website you will see that we are a themed American family owned business originating in 1956. We pride ourself in the cleanliness of our hotel, and challange you on your comments of cleanliness, and spending $15.00 in our diner for breakfast. You can eat a more than large meal for well under $10.00 There is nothing on our menu that even comes near $15.00. Additionally I take a stance with you calling this hotel a "junk" hotel, and inference to "health". This borderlines on slander. It is so much more helpful if a guest simply came to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager to resolve the issue. More than 30 days after your stay, a negative slanderous statement is made, doesn't help anyone.
Thomson, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Group of veterans stayed at the hotel for a veterans day reunion. Clean rooms, fair price, interesting decor, and an excellent restaurant. Staff was helpful and friendly. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Easy travel to Lincoln Museum.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed at the Route 66 Hotel and conference center for the Ride to Remember 9-11 memorial event . The staff was extrememly courteous and helpful! Really loved the banquet - the hotel did a superb job! Rooms were clean, comfortable, and economical..looking forward to next years memorial being at the Route 66th Hotel too!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Stayed at the Rt. 66 for the second year in a row, during a September 11th memorial ceremony. We had several rooms booked, as well as the banquet room. The dinners and set up for the banquet was abolutely amazing and the management really bent over backwards to make sure our event went well. Sharon (I believe she was the Manager) went out of her way to make sure all was to our liking. Ate in the Diner several times and the food was good and plentiful! We moved our evnt to the Rt. 66 after having the event staged at the Baymont in Springfield, but a foreign group took over and it was downhill from there on out. Thanks to Rt. 66 for tking us in, they are Great!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!