“Acceptable, but it is my last choice in downtown Springfield.” 3 of 5 stars

Mansion View Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   529 S Fourth St, Springfield, IL 62701   |
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Midlothian, Illinois
“Acceptable, but it is my last choice in downtown Springfield.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My partner & I received an invitation to attend the 2011 State of Illinois Inaugural Ceremony, and other celebratory events, including the Inaugural Ball. By the time we had confirmed our attendance, the rooms at the two best (and most conveniently located) hotels in downtown Springfield, Hilton Springfield & President Abraham Lincoln, were completely booked, as was our third choice, the State House Inn. This was the 5th trip to our capital city and we have stayed at each of the above mentioned hotels with great satisfaction. This was our first stay at Mansion View.

The Mansion View Inn is nothing more than a roadside motel that is a bit run down, and has seen much better days. The location is directly across from the Illinois Executive Mansion but is at least a 4 to 8 block walk from anything significant.

Check in & check out were quick and very courteous, the staff were very nice to us. Our queen room was spacious, had two desks, but was rather dark. There is ample room to hang your garments and store suitcases, although it could use some lighting. The bathroom was adequate, but very basic and in need of renovation. The tub shower was very narrow and the shower curtain was hung too far in. Most of our time in the shower was spent fighting off the shower curtain. Water pressure was rather low, and hot water took forever to reach our room, but when it did, it was very adequate.

The bed was just horrendous! There was an extreme dip in the middle of the mattress that caused us to roll towards the middle of the bed. We had to put the extra pillows in the middle of the mattress to prop us out of the hole. It took some getting use to, but why should I have to get use to such an outdated, overused mattress that was in desperate need of replacement!

Yes, I would stay here again, but only if my other choices were completely booked. I would not likely recommend this place to others unless you had no other choice in downtown Springfield.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Griffith, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We will NEVER EVER stay at this hotel again! In fact, we won't ever visit Springfield again due to this and another hotel!

This was the 2nd hotel we came to on our trip in ONE DAY, the one prior to this one had BUGS and LARGE AMOUNTS of them so we checked out and found the Mansion View. We go to our FIRST ROOM (yes, you heard me, our FIRST room) and what do we find.. MORE BUGS! Little pincher bugs... on the bathroom floor and throughout the room. So, we went to the lobby, wanting to check out but the girl led us to a newly "remodeled" room that they use for "show", they don't rent it out. So, since it APPEARED clean and she was very very nice, we took that room on a discounted rate. We go to the Illinois State Fair, come back to the room, my sister went to pull back the cover on her bed and what came crawling out.... A SPIDER..... looked on the floor around our beds and ahhhh, MORE OF THOSE PINCHER BUGS! We had no choice but to stay here for the night, there were terrible storms in the area so we had to stay... BUT, we did NOT sleep a wink, we were up and OUT of that hotel room by 6a.m.! My sister actually slept in her flip flops!

The service was GREAT, the rooms are NASTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! NEVER AGAIN!!!! Be cautioned, these pincher bugs blend in with the carpeting so you can't see them unless you're looking! SO BE CAREFUL! The rooms are GROSE and oh yeah.... takes 20 minutes for the hot water to kick in in the shower and in our first room, we had cob webs and NO TELEVISION RECEPTION!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed at this hotel last minute for a holiday weekend, so choices were limited. The location was great, close to downtown Springfield. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. My only suggestions for the hotel owners would be to offer a little more selection for breakfast, just basic cold cereal, rolls and coffee. There isn't much open for breakfast downtown, so a waffle maker, fruit and yogurt would be a nice addition to the breakfast offered. Also, not the hotels fault, but there is a railroad track directly behind the hotel, so we heard a few trains go by in the middle of the night!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Evansville,In.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Service was wonderful. We had covered parking. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The staff was on it for anything you needed or wanted. We had a beautiful snow storm our first night. The staff had everything cleared real early.
Breakfast was good. Simple but everything anyone could want for a quick breakfast. It is right near everthing. A 3 to 5 minute drive to any site or pharmacy, food,and stores. If the weather had been nicer we would have walked everwhere. I loved it as did my husband.
He was re- living some of his childhood memories. To celebrate his life. I must say the staff and the whole town made us feel special. That is how everyone should feel on vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Booked this last minute on a road trip through Illinois. Town was booked as it was the same weekend as a LPGA tournament and college & high school graduations so this was my last resort.

It looks nice from the outside, kinda scary though as a previous poster stated. TV had no reception whatsoever and management made no attempt to help solve my problem. Granted, I was not there to watch TV, but I have a 6 year old who LOVES his Disney Channel, Nick, etc.

Beds were comfortable and the shower was great though. Nice location since it is a couple blocks from the heart of downtown.

Pros: good beds, shower, quiet locations
Cons: rooms smelled musty and inept employees

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Illnois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We won a night in a jacuzzi suite for a fundraising auction and decided to stay here after our office Christmas party. We were to have roses and champagne in the room.
We checked in around 4pm, and the place was deserted. We were given a room clear at the back of the motel, and wouldn't ya know it, there were neighbors right next door. They were loud, arguing for about 30 minutes before the manager came to the door. He informed them that he needed an ID for cash paying customers. The manager and a male from the room went down to the office. My husband had to go get ice, and when he got down there, th police had been called. We left for our party, returning around midnight. Our roses were stuck in a candy dispenser, the champagne was in the fridge, and the loud neighbors were gone. The room was older, fairly clean, but it was right next to the railroad tracks.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

We needed a place close to St. John's Hospital for my wife and me to stay prior to a medical procedure I was having, then for my wife to stay while I was in the hospital. The Mansion View Inn seemed to have the best ratings of places close to the hospital, and when I called to inquire about availability the young man I spoke with was very helpful and offered us some very competitive rates, so we decided to stay there. We were not disappointed.

This is an older motel, but it has generally been well-maintained. Much of the furniture in our room was new. The king-size bed was very comfortable and even had a duvet similar to what many upscale hotels are now providing. The heat worked well and was easily controlled. Plumbing fixtures were somewhat old and worn but also worked well, and we had plenty of hot water.

Room doors do open to the outside, but new electronic key locks have been installed, plus the neighborhood appeared relatively safe (the Governor's Mansion is right across the street) so we never felt unsafe. The neighborhood is quite peaceful with only moderate traffic on the nearby street. Free off-street parking is provided, with some of it sheltered, which we found very useful given that snow and freezing rain were forecast during our stay.

The only noticeable noise came from a nearby train track, but it appears that only Amtrak trains run through there, so the noise lasted only a short period of time and was not frequent. We never noticed train noises late at night, so apparently the trains don't run during those times.

My wife is now talking about taking a pleasure trip to Springfield this summer and is already planning to stay at the Mansion View Inn. If you want to be close to downtown and away from the interstate with its fast-food restaurants and chain motels, then this is the place I would recommend.

• Liked — Great bed!
  • Disliked — Plumbing fixtures somewhat old and worn
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mansion View Inn? Share your experiences!