“Basic, but nice rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 40 hotels in Springfield
Rockford, Illinois
“Basic, but nice rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed at this hotel last minute for a holiday weekend, so choices were limited. The location was great, close to downtown Springfield. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. My only suggestions for the hotel owners would be to offer a little more selection for breakfast, just basic cold cereal, rolls and coffee. There isn't much open for breakfast downtown, so a waffle maker, fruit and yogurt would be a nice addition to the breakfast offered. Also, not the hotels fault, but there is a railroad track directly behind the hotel, so we heard a few trains go by in the middle of the night!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Evansville,In.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Service was wonderful. We had covered parking. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The staff was on it for anything you needed or wanted. We had a beautiful snow storm our first night. The staff had everything cleared real early.
Breakfast was good. Simple but everything anyone could want for a quick breakfast. It is right near everthing. A 3 to 5 minute drive to any site or pharmacy, food,and stores. If the weather had been nicer we would have walked everwhere. I loved it as did my husband.
He was re- living some of his childhood memories. To celebrate his life. I must say the staff and the whole town made us feel special. That is how everyone should feel on vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Booked this last minute on a road trip through Illinois. Town was booked as it was the same weekend as a LPGA tournament and college & high school graduations so this was my last resort.

It looks nice from the outside, kinda scary though as a previous poster stated. TV had no reception whatsoever and management made no attempt to help solve my problem. Granted, I was not there to watch TV, but I have a 6 year old who LOVES his Disney Channel, Nick, etc.

Beds were comfortable and the shower was great though. Nice location since it is a couple blocks from the heart of downtown.

Pros: good beds, shower, quiet locations
Cons: rooms smelled musty and inept employees

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Illnois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We won a night in a jacuzzi suite for a fundraising auction and decided to stay here after our office Christmas party. We were to have roses and champagne in the room.
We checked in around 4pm, and the place was deserted. We were given a room clear at the back of the motel, and wouldn't ya know it, there were neighbors right next door. They were loud, arguing for about 30 minutes before the manager came to the door. He informed them that he needed an ID for cash paying customers. The manager and a male from the room went down to the office. My husband had to go get ice, and when he got down there, th police had been called. We left for our party, returning around midnight. Our roses were stuck in a candy dispenser, the champagne was in the fridge, and the loud neighbors were gone. The room was older, fairly clean, but it was right next to the railroad tracks.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

We needed a place close to St. John's Hospital for my wife and me to stay prior to a medical procedure I was having, then for my wife to stay while I was in the hospital. The Mansion View Inn seemed to have the best ratings of places close to the hospital, and when I called to inquire about availability the young man I spoke with was very helpful and offered us some very competitive rates, so we decided to stay there. We were not disappointed.

This is an older motel, but it has generally been well-maintained. Much of the furniture in our room was new. The king-size bed was very comfortable and even had a duvet similar to what many upscale hotels are now providing. The heat worked well and was easily controlled. Plumbing fixtures were somewhat old and worn but also worked well, and we had plenty of hot water.

Room doors do open to the outside, but new electronic key locks have been installed, plus the neighborhood appeared relatively safe (the Governor's Mansion is right across the street) so we never felt unsafe. The neighborhood is quite peaceful with only moderate traffic on the nearby street. Free off-street parking is provided, with some of it sheltered, which we found very useful given that snow and freezing rain were forecast during our stay.

The only noticeable noise came from a nearby train track, but it appears that only Amtrak trains run through there, so the noise lasted only a short period of time and was not frequent. We never noticed train noises late at night, so apparently the trains don't run during those times.

My wife is now talking about taking a pleasure trip to Springfield this summer and is already planning to stay at the Mansion View Inn. If you want to be close to downtown and away from the interstate with its fast-food restaurants and chain motels, then this is the place I would recommend.

• Liked — Great bed!
  • Disliked — Plumbing fixtures somewhat old and worn
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

Was looking for a property online and found Mansion View. The only way reservations would work was to call property directly. I spoke with a very nice man whom helped me get a room for that same night with a super late check in. He told me what was in the vicinity and explained up front about the train tracks. I received a King "Suite" for $99 (taxes included)

We arrive very late but were greeted by very friendly desk clerk that checks us in with no delay. The lobby is very pretty and quite clean. We follow the directions to our room and see that the other reviews of this property basically being a motel is quite correct. It looks like a motel that has had a big front porch or breezeway of sorts put on the front of it. I am sure it was to make the property more secure but all the doors to these "foyers" were unlocked.

Enter our "suite" and it is basically two rooms (with only one bathroom) put together. The entry had a small fridge to the left, just kind of sitting there by itself. To the right was a wet bar and microwave. There was a dining like table and chairs. 1 sofa, 1 end table and an older style tube type tv. The room kind of looks empty with just minimal furniture. The furniture was older but clean.
The bedroom part of the suite contained a king bed with clean and modern bedding, 80"s wooden style desk, night tables and headboard. A tiny 13" tv in a wardrobe in front of the bed. Plus their was a love seat that looked like it would match the sofa in the other room. The bathroom was a basic motel bathroom. Narrow, no bells or whistles, clean and stocked with clean towels.
Room had iron and board, hairdryer, soap, shampoo, lotion..
There was no safe.

Heard the train only once at 4 am. I was the only one in our room that it effected but I fell right back to sleep.

Continental Breakfast in mornings in a very very tiny rooom. Cereal, Oatmeal, muffins, toaster type items, juice, milk, coffee, tea. Stocked pretty nicely..only complaint is size of room.

If you are in Springfield for business or want to be downtown and you need to be pampered this is not the place. If you are grown up and just looking for a clean place to sleep..This is it.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Train
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Room was clean and the reservation was all handled perfectly. Breakfast (included) was better (i.e., had more variety) than what you get at most motels. Be advised that some rooms (on the west side I believe) are literally 20 feet from the railroad tracks, and trains run in the early morning and late into the evening. There's no pool, but the inn has an arrangement with a YMCA about a block away (so you can swim at the YMCA for free if they have open swim hours). When I booked, Mansion View Inn had the best rate in downtown Springfield. This inn is just a few blocks from all the downtown attractions and several great restaurants. I would stay there again, but not in a room next to the railroad tracks.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mansion View Inn? Share your experiences!