“Finally--Real BBQ in Springfield” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 433 restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Barbecue
Chicago, Illinois
“Finally--Real BBQ in Springfield”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Hickory River is such a great BBQ franchise. I've loved every one I've stepped foot in, and the Springfield HRS is no different. When you walk in, they immediately ask how you're doing (and for a lot of customers, the employees already know their name and order). It gave me a real sense of community--and I think that's something that restaurants in Springfield lack. And, oh yeah, the food is INCREDIBLE.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Springfield, Illinois, United States
“Very courteous and helpful service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I came in during the early afternoon, and as soon as I walked in, the people at the front asked about my order... They were very kind! After ordering, the server brought my food out, and checked on me several times. They also have paper menus on each table, so we can easily add to our order (which I did :-).

I was alone, but had to deal with a situation at the time (via my smartphone)... I felt bad about being at the table for so long, even after I finished my food - but the server was fine with it. When I apologized for that, shortly before leaving, she told me I was welcome to stay as long as I wanted - until closing! :-)

I handed her an extra tip, on the way out.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Riverton, Illinois
“THIS RESTURANT IS OVER RATED”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I tried this resturant on two different occasions. It is sort of a fast food resturant. The food was tasty but it was served almost cold. I ordered a sandwich and fries. I was given my sandwich and told my fries would be in a few minutes. As I waited for my fries my sandwich got colder. The service was only fair. When we are traveling this is the kind of resturant I hope to avoid.

• Visited September 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Illinois
“Awesome casual dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Hands down - the best eat-in BBQ in Springfield. They do a sliced brisket sandwich that I stop in for when I'm lonely for Texas. Their restaurant made hot BBQ sauce will leave a tear in your eye, in the best way.

Served cafeteria style, you pick your meal, watch it being prepared, find your own table, and pour your own drinks - but friendly employees circulate to make sure everything is to your liking, and clean the tables after your meal.

My family has eaten here at least a dozen times, and never had a bad meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boerne, TX
“Good for take out. Decent BBQ but it's not Texas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Even all the Texas license plates and other Lonestar decorations can't hide the fact that this is Springfield, Illinios. Okay food, good for take out and I think you get your money's worth. I've only been there for take out so can only speak to that. Ordering, whether take out for inside dining, is at the front counter so very informal. I like that they have a separate line and counter for ordering take out.