“Killer Margaritas!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
O'fallon, Missouri
“Killer Margaritas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This place is tiny and hidden away but well worth the search. I travel a lot and love good mexican food. I had chili relano and it was the best I've ever had. The cook is willing to depart from the usual Tex-Mex standard faire and I noticed some interesting and different spices. The only thing that kept me from giving it five stars was that I've had better rice other places. I will def. come back when I am next in Springfield and recommend it to all my friends.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Virginia USA
“Sorry that I can only give it five stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

When we decided that we wanted Mexican food, my wife and I were surprised that the Azteca Grill came up number 1 since it had only three reviews at the time. However, I noted that each was written by an experienced traveler and so we went there. Also, no one raved about the great fajitas or large margaritas which I took as good signs. The Grill is in a strip mall and does not look extraordinary. My wife ordered her “usual” enchiladas and I opted for a chili relleno, burrito and taco. After ordering, I dove into the chips and salsa. While the chips were exceptional, I found the salsa was just short of excellent. I admit that I usually make an early judgment about a Mexican restaurant based on the salsa and so I was hopeful, if a little cautious about the meal to come. Even though the restaurant was not crowded, it took quite a while for our dinners to arrive. Since I am use to having very fast service in places like this, I was not sure whether that was a good or bad sign. I have to admit, I was wonderfully surprised at how good my food was and my wife said that it was the best Mexican meal she ever had: it was tasty, fresh and superbly cooked. The only regret I have is that this restaurant is 1,000 miles from my home otherwise I would be there every night. I am also sorry that I can only give it five stars – it deserves more! If you can, go there.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springfield, Il
“Great Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

If you like Mexican food, this is the place to go. Small family owned and incredible food. It's a small hidden treasure here in Springfield. It's hard to decide what to order from the menu, everything is great. If you are visiting Springfield or a resident I highly recommend Azteca. You won't be sorry.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Great little hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I was on a mission.to try every Mexican restaurant in Springfield last summer. We did just that.

Each restaurant we would order the same thing, that way we were comparing apples to apples. She, the ground beef chimichanga, and I, the fajitas.

We went here for lunch and found the portions to be perfect. Enough to , satisfy, but not leave you stuffed.

She particularly thought the chimichanga was the best one in Springfield, hands down. She said they added extra cheese to the filing.

Needless to say, we ended up there frequently.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springfield, Illinois
“A surprise in a strip mall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went in because I heard that they had Huevos Rancheros. It is not easy to find this dish in Springfield but they also serve Chile Verde. They may be the only place near to get that. I spoke with the chef. He teaches culinary arts at Lincoln Land college. He is from Bolivia and adds a special touch to his food. In the last month I have eaten there 3 times. I even took a friend. He made tripe in a manner that was the best I ever tried (actually the only time I enjoyed it.) It is not pricey and the menu varies by the day of the week so boredom is not a threat.

• Visited March 2013