“Great stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 40 hotels in Springfield
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Came to Springfield to see all things Lincoln. As a Mariott rewards club member I always stay at Marriotts and this time got to use points for a free night. So got our free night and the three of us got a free great breakfast buffet each morning too. It was our first time as a Residence Inn but won't be our last. The little kitchen was so nice. Our son loved camping out over on the sofa/bed and we loved our king bed which was slightly separated. Staff was friendly and attentative. Location was great. Just a few minutes to town for all the Lincoln attractions and several restaurants just across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Darin D, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield South, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to go on line to Trip Adviser to share your experience while staying at Residence Inn by Marriott in Springfield, IL. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It pleases us more to know that you received good customer service. We constantly strive to help our guests experience the feeling of "Home away from home." Your comments allows us to realize that we are on the right pathway, and we thank you for your kind words and remarks. We hope that you will select to stay with us again should you be traveling through our area. All of us here at Residence Inn stand ready to make your return stay just as comfortable and memorable.

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I would sum up one word for this hotel. WOW. I called before I arrived and was assured that the roll-away bed I requested would be in the room. It was. The room was spotless and spacious (king studio) and quiet. The front desk sent someone to our room 10 minutes after checkin to make sure there was nothing that we needed. The breakfast was very good and again the dining area was spotless. The breakfast staff came around to the tables and asked if there was anything they could get for us. Outstanding service. I noticed that everyone who came through the lobby was greeted with a smile and "is there anything we can do for you?" attitude. I have stayed in countless Marriott's over the years and this one is "top shelf"!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Darin D, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield South, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
On behalf of the staff and me, we would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere thanks for you taking time to go on line and share with us your experience while staying here at Residence Inn. We appreciate comments such as yours and appreciate knowing that you had a wonderful time. We don’t stop after hearing such pleasing remarks, but rather still continue to strive for greater customer service. Your statements help us to realize that we are on the right track. We hope that you will once again choose to stay with us during your next journey and allow us to once again give you that “wow” feeling. Have a wonderful and safe remaining summer!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I'm sorry to read other unhappy guests or dissatisfied reviews. Maybe they address those issues or concerns poor to our arrival. We had an amazing stay. Rooms are comfortable, clean, in order. So is the lobby and all the amenities (pool clean! salt water!) front desk ALL employees were friendly, courteous and helpful. We arrived after driving 15 hrs, we forgot the name of the gentlemen who checked us in, due to lack of sleep!!! He was most quick and informative and made our check in easy. We are avid travelers and tend to stay in finer five stars hotels. This was a five star experience, just without a bellhop. Lol fabulous, amazing...mahalo nui loa to the staff. A hui hou we will be back!

• Stayed July 2013
Darin D, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield South, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to visit trip adviser and share with us, your comments about your stay here at Residence Inn. Our key goal is to always achieve good customer service to our guests, and its comments, such as yours, that helps us realize that we are on the right road in achieving this goal. We want all our guests to feel welcomed and have the feeling of being "Home away from home". We are pleased to know that you were treated well and greeted with a warm welcome and that you enjoyed your room and the amenities that came along with your stay. We hope that in your next travel plans, you will once again choose to stay with us here at Residence Inn and once again experience the same wonderful greeting!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The first flaw - I had to plead to get the room I booked (standard king suite). I did NOT book a mobility room but they stuck me there with the lame excuse of "sorry, we're full up tonight". Nights 2-5 were better once in a standard room. Hotel is obviously quite new and the rooms are spotless.

The second flaw - horrible light pollution in the rooms. There is absolutely no way to block out the sun (or the parking lot lights at night) so bring a sleep mask. I was popping awake every day by 5.30am because of their lame curtains.

Third flaw - large hotel, small workout room. Just two treadmills, two crosstrainers and some weights. It was busy daily during my visit. However...the basketball court is very nice and not jammed with people.

Three nights of reception - two that you could make a meal of and the third was just cheese/crackers. They DO have free draft beer and wine.

Overall I would probably stay here again while it's still got the "new" factor.

Room Tip: West facing room if you want to sleep past 5.30am
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Darin D, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield South, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I apologize that we did not get you into the proper room. I will share that experience with our front office staff. We are a new hotel and with a new design from Marriott. I will make sure and pass along your comments to the Marriott corporation for future use. We do appreciate you staying with us and we do hope you keep staying with us in the Springfield area.
Marlboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The first thing that you notice when driving up to this hotel, or more accurately, don't notice, is a sign indicating where the office is where you can go in and register. You are not assisted by a few parking spaces which say: "10 minute parking for registration only". Eventually my wife and I found the entrance. When we checked in we reminded the man behind the desk that I had requested a bed board because my wife has a bad back and needs a hard bed. The request had been acknowledged online. The hotel not only didn't have a board (and I acknowledge that many hotels don't have them), but the desk clerk was very unsympathetic to our situation. Accordingly, we had to drive to Lowe's and buy a piece of plywood for $13, which we placed under the bed and took with us to our next stop. The room itself, a studio suite with a king bed, was more than adequate and well-maintained, although in the three days of our stay the earliest that the maid cleaned our room was 4:20 PM. She was, however, a very nice person. The pillows were too large, which hampered our sleep. Their internet connection was extremely fast, the best we encountered on our trip. Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment. The scrambled eggs were overdone, and the waffle iron didn't work properly, failing to let the user know that cooking was complete. The potential is there for this to be an excellent hotel, but they don't seem to be living up to that potential.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay. Thank you for the nice comments and for the areas that we need to improve. I will be discussing with our front office staff the concerns that you brought to my attention and make sure we find a way to handle that much better next time. I have also shared your concerns with our breakfast staff. It was nice to hear from you that you enjoyed the rooms and the internet service. We hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in the Springfield area.
FORT MYERS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night while traveling from Florida to Iowa. We love Marriott hotels because the beds are always comfortable. We booked this hotel for that reason and we were not disappointed. The suite was clean and the king bed very comfortable. Our only negative is the location of the hotel. It is in a newer area of development, but is situated behind other hotels and somewhat difficult to find. Also, it doesn't look like other Residence Inns so that threw us off until we saw the sign. The interstate exit numbers are very hard to understand in this area, also the exit for the hotel really contributes to the confusion. We would recommend you use a GPS or call the hotel ahead of time for directions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Darin D, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield South, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for taking time to go online and visit Trip Advisor, sharing your experience with us while staying here at Residence Inn. We were pleased to know that you were happy with your room and the amenities that came with your stay. We are a new Marriott establishment one year this past June. Unfortunately, when you are that new, it takes others out there time to map our area and to make the proper notifications. Now that you know where we are located and how to find us, it is our hope that you will once again choose to come back to see us and enjoy your stay. We were happy that this mix-up did not deter your visit and that you gave us the opportunity to make your stay comfortable. We constantly strive for good customer service and we enjoy hearing and knowing that we are doing our job. It is our wish that the remaining days of summer will be a safe and fun-filled one for you and your family. Again, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us!
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have Platinum Elite Lifetime status with Marriott (meaning I have spent 75+ nights a year at Marriott properties for 10+ years consecutively) and Marriott usually provides outstanding service. That said, the Residence Inn Springfield was a mixed bag…

PROS –
• new property that has good room layouts with plenty of space, nice amenities, full breakfast, etc.
• Decent workout room with treadmills, free-weights, etc.
• Great bike/jogging path nearby named Lost Bridge Trail – goes for about 5 miles along a wooded, paved path. Several restaurants are also nearly

CONS-
• Management seems to really want to up-sell on what has been traditional elite upgrades, e.g., upgrading from a studio to a one-bedroom or upgrading from a one-bedroom to a two-bedroom. Most all properties provide this upgrade for elite members without even asking…I asked and was told I would need to pay an extra $60/night for a two bedroom (I understand this because this is essentially like having two regular hotel room), but was surprised when they said I may need to move from the one-bedroom unit I was assigned to a studio in the middle of my stay if someone else books an upgraded room…And this statement came from the General Manager!
• Housekeeping was terrible. There was something that sure looked like human feces on one of the electrical outlets (see picture) and sofa. I asked that both be cleaned and they did so. The pull-out sofa bed a never made in the morning, coffee pot was not cleaned and coffee not replaced, and had to even ask for a bar of soap that was not replenished.
• Air Conditioning – the property has a type of eco-control on the unit and my room’s A/C was apparently broken. I called three separate days and nights and was told there was nothing that could be done after it was inspected by the technician. The coldest I could get the room was 74 degrees.

Would I stay at the property again or recommend it to someone else? No, not unless they change management to a personnel that truly understand hotel management and customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay. I have looked over your comments and would like to address a couple of issues you experienced. I understand that you were not happy with the housekeeping service and with temperature controls of the room and I do apologize. We take pride in getting the room to be serviced properly each and every day. I have discussed this with our housekeeping staff and have had maintenance address the issue with that air condition unit.
When it comes to the free upgrade, you reserved a studio suite and then upon request we upgraded you to a one bedroom suite even though that specific room type was sold out on one of the nights. We were unable to upgrade you to the two bedroom suite. We do our best to accommodate every individual reservation and every guest with the best experience. Thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we can continue to improve on our property and customer service.

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Springfield South? Share your experiences!