“IF YOU LOVE HISTORY DON'T MISS THE ELIJAH ILES HOUSE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Attractions in Springfield
Type: Architectural Buildings, Landmarks
Decatur, Illinois
28 attraction reviews
“IF YOU LOVE HISTORY DON'T MISS THE ELIJAH ILES HOUSE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was the best tour of a historical home, you could possibly ask for. It is a spacious, beautifully restored home, that was the first in Springfield. I thought the portrait above the fireplace looked like Wayne Newton of Las Vegas fame. I bet they were related somehow.

Our tour guide was a very educational, informed, gentleman, and was very enthusastic, and passionate about the history of this home. He knew the small details and pointed them out to us. It made us feel like we were somehow in an inner circle of knowing the past secrets of the home and it's owners. He explained the porch ceiling was painted blue, because it kept the wasp from boring in the wood and building nest. The wasp thought it was the sky. Wow I didn't know that. Then he showed us the basement and a wonderful museum of the Illinois Watch collection and history. This man was extremely intresting and made this one of the best tours I have ever been on. There was a lot more to tell, but I'll let you find out for yourself. DO IT.

Visited April 2012

Been to Elijah Iles House? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Elijah Iles House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.