“Have a Pony or Horseshoe!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Durham, North Carolina
“Have a Pony or Horseshoe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We'd spent much of the day at the Lincoln house, surrounding houses and the visitor center and were starving! This was within walking distance and I remember seeing good reviews on Yelp so we stopped in.

It's a lovely building inside and out and while we were waiting for a table I was asking the young hostess about it, but she really didn't know. Thankfully the menu had some historical info on it so it was nice to learn about it.

I decided to try one of the things Springfield is known for that I've never heard of before, which is a Horseshoe sandwich. A smaller version is a Ponyshoe and it sounded like more than plenty for one. It's open face with your choice of meat on bread then piled high with fries and covered with a cheese sauce. It sounded like no great shakes to me and when I saw it I thought too much food and wasn't impressed. Well, the more I ate, the more I could eat cos it was really good! I mean really good! The corned beef was very tasty, the fries had a crunchy coating on them like maybe very finely mashed up cornflakes and the cheese sauce was wonderful. To my surprise I ate it ALL!

Very laid back atmosphere and friendly staff. I'd definitely return and get another Ponyshoe!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Springfield, Illinois
“Fabulous beers, food and location all in one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Beers were excellent. Had the Strawberry blonde and the Ditzy blond, hubby had hefe weissen and barrel age porter. My son tried their homemade rootbeer -- we loved it, but he thought it was a little too intense. No worries they have the watered down commerical root beer too. Flatbreads were to die for, fig or black and blue and the leg of lamb sandwich was great. Good service, nice evening outside.

Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Love the beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Came to the restaurant on a recommendation from the hotel I was staying at. I loved everything about this place! The beer was great and I also enjoyed a great meal. The artichoke dip was amazing. They also had a great patio area to dine on.

Visited June 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Gem, Awesome Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We found this place on recommendation of a pub in downtown Springfield. The house/building is amazing from the outside, completely transformed on the inside. Very clean, modern with great art on the walls. Our server was really great - kept our drinks full and even helped when we mistakenly ordered the wrong item. I would definitely recommend the Strawberry Blonde beer, and the artichoke dip appetizer. The flatbreads were a little bland, but everyone else's food, including the lamb and BBQ chicken were amazing. We really enjoyed our meal and visit to this microbrewery!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Illinois
“Inconclusive visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I will go back because I was not able to eat inside so I really cannot provide an evaluation of this restaurant. Parking is very limited around this restaurant. Arrived at 11:30 for lunch and was informed there would be a 45 minute wait to eat inside so we were seated outside and took the only available table. I observed numerous people walk up to the door and then walk away because the 45 minute wait turned into 1 hour and 45 minute wait. Overall, we were there for two hours as service was really slow probably due to lack of staff. Fish and chips were good. Reuben sandwich was excellent. Crafted beer was tasty.

• Visited June 2013