“Best restaurant in Springfield” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
American Harvest Eatery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 410 Restaurants in Springfield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Chatham, Illinois
“Best restaurant in Springfield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This is the best restaurant in Springfield. Period. Fresh ingredients, seasonal menu, local food as much as possible. Lunches are great with bloody marys to order on Saturdays. Dinners are amazing. My only - small - complaint is that the servers may rush you. You can eliminate that problem by ordering one course at a time.

• Visited April 2012

Chicago, IL
“Fresh Food in a Non Descript Strip Mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Dined here with a friend while in Springfield on business. Okay, it is in a strip mall away from the center of town, but the food is worth the trip. I had the pan roasted skate served with barbecue flavored fingerling potatoes and it was delicious! My friend had a dinner salad to start and then had polenta with shrimp. Not a morsel was left. They have a small wine by-the-glass selection, but that was okay. I highly recommend starting off with a cocktail as they do an excellent job. Unfortunately, I had had a large lunch and so did not have room for dessert. Will remember to save room the next time I get a chance to dine here. Cost per person including cocktail, a glass of wine, entree, tax & tip was about $45.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springfield, Illinois
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Five of us dined at American Harvest last evening and it was fantastic. Two in our party had the elk special and loved how it was prepared and served with a celery root puree. My daughters BF had the Harvest Burger and noted it was the best burger he's had in Springfield. My daughter had the New York strip and it was wonderful, I had a bite or two ;-). I had the chicken breast served with grits and brussel sprouts- fantastic.

Service was very good. Our waiter attentive and let us enjoy our meals once served. Great selection of beer and wine. Jameson shots were on special for St. Patty's Day... it was a great way and place to finish off a wonderful holiday.

We will be going back for sure!

Springfield, Illinois
“Excellent, nice change of pace to the chain restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

After having learned of American Harvest the night before, I checked out the website and showed my husband the menu. We decided since it was a Friday night and the kids' were at Grandma's it was the perefect opportunity to try it out. We get tired of the same old chain places in Springfield....Chili's, Texas Roadhouse, etc. While they're all adequate, it's nicer to have a better quality of restaurant that doesn't serve the "same old, same old".
The things on the menu are definitely NOT run of the mill...some really different combos, but they work well together.
Portions are not small, contrary to the other reviews that I have read. Prices are definitel fair. The bill was $66 plus gratuity for an ice tea (my husband had water), an appetizer, first course salad, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. We never normally eat that much but after reading online reviews that said portions are small we ordered more than normal. We each could have just had our own entree or split an appetizer and an entree and had more than enough food and the bill would have been less than $30.
The fried organic cheese curds were out of this world. And the bread service (focaccia with jalapeno butter) is excellent too. Everything we had was amazing. The service was some of the best service we've ever had, and we definitely didn't wait long for our food either. Both are big pluses when dining out.
We will definitely be back.

foodieil
“Nice change to the restaurant scene in Springfield!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We are big fans of Augies downtown so we were very excited when Augie opened a second restaurant. He has taken a twist on midwest comfort food classics, and it works. We have enjoyed the filet, the deviled eggs (very rich), several salads, risotto and more. The only thing we werent impressed with was the cheese platter. Was very basic cheeses with a rasberry spread, I would like to see Augie re-create this dish. Overall, great food and fun for sharing too!

Visited January 2012