“Best Candlewood Yet” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Springfield
Evans Mills, New York
“Best Candlewood Yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I have stayed at a number of Candlewood Suites and have to say that the Candlewood Suites in Springfield has been the best. Every employee has met or exceeded expectations. The management is excellent and I would certainly recommend this hotel for extended stays.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Taylorville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I spend about 60-70 nights a year in hotel rooms and Springfield, Illinois is one of the places I am very familiar with because of this. Have stayed at most of the upper scale hotels in Springfield with a preference for the Crowne Plaza, that is, until I found the Candlewood Suites. If you can do without a pool, this is the place to be. It is inexpensive at about 100.00 per night and the rooms are immaculate. When I travel with my 3 children a pool is a must. BUT when I travel without them, I look for the best deals around, 100.00, I dont like to go below that. This hotel is new, staff is very friendly and accommodating, you have a flatscreen TV in the room with a CD player! Stove, full refrigerator and utensils. Compared to 140.00 dollar rooms elsewhere in Springfield, this is the place to stay, as the rooms here are nicer than those rooms, its a great deal, a "no brainer" so to speak. I have stayed here a total of about 8 times over the last year. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
North Aurora, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I had stayed at a Candlewood in another town and had enjoyed the experience. It seemed at the time like a good , quiet business hotel. This experience was quite different. There were dirty people wandering around the lobby and just outside the door drinking at all times. This included encountering a drunk in the lobby at 8 am who was just sittting there drinking a Miller Lite. In addition, the DVD player did not work, the temperature controls did not work and housekeeping knocked on my door at 730 even though check out was not til 12. This chain might be ok but this particular location was very bad.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

My husband and I occasionally stay in Springfield Illinois while doing trips to/from Missouri to Wisconsin. We wanted to have a suite, so we decided to try out Candlewood and we are so happy with our experience! Candlewood is a newer hotel close to restaurants, freeway access, and gas stations. We had a queen suite, which had a separate bedroom, living area, and full kitchen with a planning desk. The suite is fairly small, but for two people, there was plenty of room. The bed was comfortable, and I really liked the heating/cooling unit being in the living area (I am a light sleeper and sometimes can't sleep due to the constant on/off noise of the a/c or heater).
The reception was very friendly as well. For a clean, comfortable, and reasonable price - Candlewood is definitely a hotel we will frequent again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Central Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Other area Priority Club hotels wanted 25K points because they offered the usual OK breakfast so this was a deal! This place was lovely, sparkling new, and offered no breakfast but for a few bucks you could grab something in their "cupboard", which uses the honor system and make it in your room which has a nice kitchen. They do have free coffee. Would have been perfect with a free piece of fruit. We were upgraded to a suite, very nice so I could have privacy while traveling with my college age son. Great location in new area with all the usual decent places to grab a bite very close. Would be nice for long term stay, as it was intended. Awesome bed-I slept great-a big deal since my back often hurts in hotel beds!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
oklahoma city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I booked this hotel based partly on the great reviews others had given it. My cousin and I were driving Route 66 from Chicago to Oklahoma City and made this our first stop. We had nothing but problems with the property from the moment we pulled in. It was raining pretty hard, and we immediately noted that there was no covered entry as most newer motels now have to pull under to check in and unload our luggage from the car. Then the desk clerk was surly and unfriendly. I had apparently misread the motel's amenities, because we soon found out that they did not have a breakfast included, only a store to buy some supplies to fix our own in the room. And there was also no pool. The room was nice, but was very warm. The notice on the wall thermostat said that their new system knew when the room was occupied, so we were advised to wait 15 minutes before it would reach our desired temperature. After more than 15 minutes, nothing happened. I called the front desk and was advised how to set the temperature lower, but then the thermostat went blank. Before they could send someone up, the information came back on, so I set the temperature for much lower. We had to leave to meet a friend for dinner, and opened the window before leaving. On our return several hours later, the room was still way too warm. I then turned on the under the window air conditioner, which had a notice on it that the temperature on it was controlled by the wall thermostat. We went to bed then and slept poorly all night because the room was still too warm. In the morning we hurriedly packed up and got out of there. At the front desk at check out there was no "thank you for staying with us" or any nicety spoken. We left to have a good breakfast across the street at an IHOP. Never again will I even consider staying here or any other Candlewood Suites. I found it very overpriced for what was offered.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

My family stayed at this hotel for three nights in October of 2009 during our vacation in Springfield. It was exactly what we needed. This is a new hotel that was just opened in March so everything was new and clean. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. We found the staff to be friendly and accomodating.

Just off the lobby there is a small pantry with various items for sale such as snack items, soda, milk, juice, cereal, ice cream, etc. You can find enough items in there to make a small meal. The prices are very reasonable. (Can of soda was 50 cents.) They have free movie DVDs to watch in your room. There is also complimentary coffee and tea. On our first night there, I was checking out the pantry while a nice lady was restocking the items. Half joking, I told her that they should have hot chocolate too. They had hot chocolate the next day. I was impressed!

That same nice lady who was stocking the pantry gave me some advice for taking the historic bus in Springfield. She even went to their business center with me and helped me print a bus schedule.

Our first night at the hotel was Wednesday evening. We found out that they had a reception for the guests and they served 3 or 4 kinds of pasta and breadsticks that was delivered from Pizza Hut. They said they have that every Wednesday (not everyday) with delivery from a different local restaurant. Free soda and water too.

We used the small kitchen in the room everyday to make breakfast and sometimes an easy supper. It has a full size refrigerator, microwave, two burner stove, and dishwasher. It comes stocked with dishes, kettles, silverware, and misc utensils. Everyone may not use the kitchen as much as we did, but we enjoyed it.

This hotel does not have maid service everyday but it was not a problem for us at all. We simply made our own beds and took our small amount of garbage and recyclable items to their handy garbage/recycling station located by the elevator. You can ask for fresh towels at the front desk if needed.

This hotel doesn't have a pool, but it does have a small gym. It also has complimentary laundry facilities with multiple washers and dryers, which I noticed were popular.

If I could change one thing about the hotel, I would put at least one more chair in the room to use by the table if you eat in your room. We had four people and could have used more chairs to sit on to eat. That was a minor inconvenience compared to the other great things with this hotel.

We paid only $82.99 a night. What a bargain! We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Springfield? Share your experiences!