“Just a strip mall sub shop but fun and good” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #57 of 433 restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Sandwiches
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Just a strip mall sub shop but fun and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Not sure why anyone would call this a "restaurant" or post that strangely inappropriate picture. This is just a particularly good and fun strip mall sub shop. Five of us on a business road trip, three working the food reviews on their smartphones, came up with Monty's for a quick lunch stop. The guy behind the counter is a hoot, and the sandwiches are really good - so much so that we returned for another go the next day.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Illinois
“The picture is not the restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am really confused where this picture came from, but it is not the restaurant that we saw.... The real restaurant looks like a run down subway...we just drove on by!!!

Visited June 2013
Lerna, IL
“A bit confused”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband & I decided to take a Saturday and spend it in Springfield, IL visiting the Lincoln museum and looking for some new dining. I read all the great reviews on Monty's Subs so decided to give it a try for lunch. When we arrived at 11:45 a.m. the parking lot was vacant. When we walked in, I wasn't even sure we had the right place because the pictures on the website didn't match. It was a little challenging to give our food orders with the rapid questions and commentary coming from the other side of the counter. I had the Gobbler on Italian and my husband had the Cuban on wheat. Both sandwiches were good, a step above Subway, but not what I expected from a #1 rated Tripadvisor restaurant in a State capital. Just nothing special and I don't feel any need to go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marshfield, Wisconsin
“Wonderful Fresh Crunchy and Tender White Bread”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The "Cuban":roast pork, ham, pickles, mustard, Swiss is what I had and Kathleen had the "Gobbler": piles of shaved turkey breast with Swiss. A four minute oven toast and relax; you can eat in or on the veranda. The startling moment was when the chef pushed the wrapped subs across the counter and said "Two organic tofu on veggie-burgers" with a poker face. I couldn't imagine how the mistake had been made... And then he said "Just kidding".

This is a big sandwich and it will slip over the teeth with or without drinks. You will get away for a great deal less than ten dollars in a relaxed atmosphere with lots of local patronage. Happy to have found Springfield's #1 sub outlet. Thanks.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bloomington, IL
“Excellent Sub, Great Bread, Funny Guy Behind The Counter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My sister lives in Springfield, IL, and put me on to Monty's Subs. I especially like their El Italiano. I like to get it with "sweet" bread, but had it with wheat this time and it was just as awesome. They go head-to-head with Head West in Springfield for the best subs in town...I've had both and my preference is Monty's. Have only been to the one on Sangamon Avenue...near the State Fair Grounds. If you go during tax season, you can't miss it...they have one of those Liberty Tax guys waving people into the stip mall. Monty's is a hole in the wall place. Can't seat more than 30 people I'd guess. But some of the best sub sandwiches I have ever eaten. And if you get TJ behind the counter, he's irreverent and I like it!!! He'll ask the next person in line: How can I be of disservice to you today?" or "How can I mess up your order today?" Adds a little local flavor to the place. So if you're in town doing the Lincoln things, head to Monty's Subs for a great lunch treat!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere