“Beautiful Step Back in History” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 30 Attractions in Springfield
Type: Government Buildings, Historic Sites, Cultural
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Painstakingly rebuilt after being disassembled in the 1960s, this Greek Revival masterpiece saw Lincoln serve as a lawyer and legislator. In 1858, Lincoln delivered his landmark "House Divided" speech in the Capitol's Representatives Hall.
Lafayette, Indiana
19 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Step Back in History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We visited Springfield this weekend and were on a budget. We parked downtown and decided to walk around and see what the city had to offer. We loved this building when we spotted it first while driving into the downtown area. We were really excited when we found they don't charge $13 a head for entry and it's donation only :) We paid $7 for donations and loved that we were free to roam around the building. Great history and BEAUTIFUL place!

Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
28 attraction reviews
“Step back into the past.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This building has been lo9vingly restored to reflect the history of not only A Lincoln but the political world he lived in. The docents were friendly and extremely well informed. We were fortunate to be there during the Living History Reenactments and that really enriched our experiend. We definitely need to return to Springfield and spend more time there.

springfield
14 attraction reviews
“Proud to be an American”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Touring this building was wonderful, but we also got to follow a school group and hear the history from their teacher... always good to get refreshed on details. A beautiful old, but cared for building. I felt a lot of pride as an American.

Visited May 2013
Saint Louis
“Call: Just in Case”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Old State Capitol Building in Springfield, Illinois is a remarkable landmark. Built between 1837 and 1840, it served as the state house for thirty-six years.

Springfield is about a two hour drive from St. Louis, and since I am recently separated from my job, I thought going there would be a nice little daytrip. I checked the website (which said the site is closed on Mondays), and the Springfield Visitors' Guide (which said the site is open on Mondays in the summer). I decided to take a chance -- but ended up having to visit twice!

The first Monday I went, I arrived in time to take a tour of the site -- but when I arrived there, I found no signage on any of the doors, and when I tried to open the doors, I could not open them.

So I went to the antiquarian bookseller across the square (awesome place! by all means GO!), and explored the Lincoln Presidential Tomb, where a docent was kind enough to explain that the Old Capitol was indeed open, but they were refinishing the doors -- hence the lack of signage.

I returned the following Monday, and found the site open. I spoke to the Assistant Director of the site who explained that A) they're refinishing the doors; B) the site Board is persnickety about signage -- to the extent that there are no signs pointing out the elevator (something to know if you are disabled) and C) the doors stick, big time. In fact, the doors stick so badly, that if a reenactor hears someone attempting to open the door, s/he runs to the door to open it.

But, once inside, it's an interesting place, with period correct artifacts throughout, and is worth visiting. There is a recommended donation to the site of $5, and an underground, two level parking garage beneath it, with an elevator in the center of the parking structure that goes up to the site. Again signage is minimal, and the garage was a little creepy to me.

Site phone number: 217-785-7960

Visited July 2013
Freeport, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“I love old things”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was interesting to see how the old state capitol was and the old things that was there. The people who greeted us were very friendly and helpful.