“not all it seems” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Cardiff
“not all it seems”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

What a fabulous place for a meal, on the beach, fabulous view typical Greek taverna. Ordered a meal, they seemed very busy, rushing about. ordered fish and lamb, fish was on a bed a oil and the lamb was so small - about 3/4 fork fulls. No dessert was offered and we were told via a Greek friend who had joined us the table was booked again and we had to leave. We couldn't finish the wine and were very disappointed,the staff seemed eager to move us on and it all seemed very rushed.not what we wanted. I spent a gret deal of the night in the loo and my daughter was sick. What a dissapointment as this night was for her birthday. Well she won't forget that one !

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“I desperately wanted to love this place, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Glafkos is in a beautiful setting, right on a rough shingle beach. In the evening the place is a perfect setting to watch the sun go down, have the noise of the waves and something to eat. Theres lots of tables shoved together and there's a real buzz about the place. I really wanted it to be an experience. We booked for my birthday. Its best to book as they don't have many tables. When we got there we were told that we hadn't booked, I had to show the same waiter we had booked with their booking records before he would believe me. The menu is small and focussed, quite rightly around fish. I ordered calamari which was lovely, Mum had sardines which came sat in a pool of grease. We both had lamb chops for main course. Having gone to Greece for 28 years, the lamb has always been excellent so I thought it a good choice. 4 thin, burnt 'hockey stick' chops turned up with a few grease soaked chips. I scraped what dry meat I could off them, it was barely enough to cover the end of a fork. There is no dessert menu and when they take your plates you are given a small choc-ice on a stick and we were told it is 'on the house'. That was our signal to pay up and leave. During our meal a Greek friend joined us, the waitress told her that she wanted us to leave as the table had been booked to someone else and we had to go. We didn't get time to drink the rest of our wine. Worse was to come. Mum spent all night on the toilet and I was sick 4 times later that evening. It totally ruined my birthday.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Paros, Greece
“Something special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

What a great little taverna. A friend was so impressed when he was taken that he wanted to go back and show me how good it was. The food was great, Greek specialities and a lot more too, the service was spot on, attentive and friendly with out being over the top and the view... it's to die for. I'll be ging back!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Not your typical Greek Taverna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Over the years we ate in 200 to 300 hundred greek tavernas and restaurants and two of the best were in Naousssa on Paros Island in Greece.
Glafkos was a very close second or almost equal to another restaurant which is rated as #1 in Naoussa and which I recently reviewed as the best.
It is hidden at the very end of a dead-end street but more noticeable from the beach side. This is probably the reason there do not seem to be any reviews of this great restaurant on Trip Advisor.
There is the outside terrace on the beach and an upstairs section with a fireplace and a sea view which is very nicely decorated. On that very windy day in Paros, the indoor section was very handy.
This is not a taverna where you will get the regular fare of Moussaka, stuffed tomatoes or souvlaki but a very interesting menu of other Greek dishes such as stuffed squid, orange ginger chicken.
I had the pork tenderloin in an oregano and sweet wine sauce and it was fantastic. Never seen it on the menu of any other Greek restaurant although the owner assured me it was a Greek dish cooked in many Greek homes.
A French customer said that the other Pork tenderloin dish on the menu was to die for, although both our wives agreed that the oregano spiced dish was absolutely great.

• Visited April 2012